• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Associate
Holy ****.
This has my R290x now able to do all high settings in Doom with solid 60FPS wherein before it would drop down to 25-30FPS playing at 3440 x 1440. That's a massive increase in performance.

OcUK Staff
I must say its way more smoother in Vulcan.

If more games had vulcan support than the £200 480 card would be a blinder bang for buck card.

Its only 15% behind a 1070 now if those tests were at same settings compared to 40% behind in openGL.

What 1070 did they test? An FE or a custom, hopefully it was an FE to make it a fairer test.

Be very interesting to see how Sapphire Nitro and Devil 13 RX 480s perform now. I'd also like to see Fury performance as Fury is an incredibly powerful GPU.

Caporegime
290x at 1100

Vulcan 1080p Ultra settings 130 fps.

Vulcan 1440p Ultra Settings 90 fps

Vulcan 2160p Ultra Settings 46 fps

so 480 still about 15% faster than my OC 290x then.

But currently puts my 290x just 6% behind a 1070 atm :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
290x at 1100

Vulcan 1080p Ultra settings 130 fps.

Vulcan 1440p Ultra Settings 90 fps

Vulcan 2160p Ultra Settings 46 fps

Gotta love GCN architecture, is nice when the older stuff progresses in performance too, which is one of the great things about AMD that the older cards get a great boost too.

Would love to see results on same rig from a 290X, 390X, RX480 and Fury.

Associate
That is huge!
What about 4k and 3440x1440?

I wanna see an RX-480 at 1400/2200 results and I'd also like to see a Fury at say 1100/500, could be very interesting times for AMD if they have a big advantage in Vulkan as seen in DX12 stuff.

Was the 1070 also ran on Ultra preset? Because the RX-480 is beating it at 1440P???

in theory AMD should see significant gains, because their GPUs are inefficient in DX11, both vulkan and dx12 increase efficiency with async, boosting performance from 20 to 30% acrose all their GCN line up.
Nvidia is already very efficient in DX11, so there is no performance left to squeeze out of new API.
point is even their FX CPUs get significant boost from multi-threading when implemented, thats a significant increase in minimum spec required for games.
exciting times for AMD hopefully they get a break and start making some money, would hate to see them go under, that would hurt PC market badly, if we have only intel for cpu and nvidia for gpu.

Soldato
Where can I get this patch for Doom please?

Here ya go. Instructions here from Bethesda with notes on what issues there are.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/54585

How do I get DOOM to run on the Vulkan API?
When launching DOOM from Steam, you’ll be prompted with a new menu to choose either OpenGL or Vulkan. To play with Vulkan, select the second menu option. You can also switch between OpenGL and Vulkan in game via the Settings > Advanced > Graphics API options menu. The game will restart whenever you switch between OpenGL and Vulkan.

How do I get the Vulkan API?
DOOM Vulkan support will be enabled via a patch that goes live on Steam at 10:00am ET on Monday, July 11th, 2016. Vulkan will not run properly without updating to the latest unified drivers from AMD and NVIDIA for supported GPUs.

For more information on drivers, see the article below:
http://help.bethesda.net/app/answer...river-versions-should-i-install-to-play-doom?

Soldato
in theory AMD should see significant gains, because their GPUs are inefficient in DX11, both vulkan and dx12 increase efficiency with async, boosting performance from 20 to 30% acrose all their GCN line up.
Nvidia is already very efficient in DX11, so there is no performance left to squeeze out of new API.
point is even their FX CPUs get significant boost from multi-threading when implemented, thats a significant increase in minimum spec required for games.
exciting times for AMD hopefully they get a break and start making some money, would hate to see them go under, that would hurt PC market badly, if we have only intel for cpu and nvidia for gpu.

Pretty much yeah.

Caporegime
Gotta love GCN architecture, is nice when the older stuff progresses in performance too, which is one of the great things about AMD that the older cards get a great boost too.

Would love to see results on same rig from a 290X, 390X, RX480 and Fury.

Yeah thats a massive boost. Got a brand new 1080 sitting here in its box and wondering if its now £600 mispent.....................

Isnt Battlefield 1 vulcan too?

Associate
Yeah thats a massive boost. Got a brand new 1080 sitting here in its box and wondering if its now £600 mispent.....................

Think it's just DX12.

And I hope techpowerup do a huge test using the vulkan patch. They're normally very thorough and test many many GPUs.

Caporegime
Delighted is an understatement.

5960x @4ghz
1x Core Radeon Pro Duo
1172/545Mhz
2160P
Ultra Settings + TSAA x8

Settings

ZL1ltUF.jpg

ZL1ltUF.jpg

xaHapue.jpg

OpenGL 4.5

wRPtkKt.jpg

Vulkan

sTBKKHD.jpg

Last edited:
Associate

what does it matter, your 1080 already delivers great performance, not having extra gains from an API doesnt make it a bad choice.

Back
Top Bottom