2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

Bennah said:
What you been testing, if you dont mind me asking?

Exige 240 Cup.
Sadly - I don't like the new Toymota engine..Shame - the rest of the car is still brilliant - Should have gone with the Alfa V6 instead. ;)

Mazda RX-8 - uprated to around 280bhp
Felt nowhere near as good as the 190bhp I drove earlier this year - felt far too loose and out of control *although 10500rpm. :eek: :D*

Lotus Esprit 350
I LOVE this car! It's a classic. Heavy Clutch, heavy steerign but when you get it in it's element it's V8 sings and the car makes sence

Smart Brabus Roadster-Coupe
I really like this one as well - it's a nice little cruiser - I could happily have a Exige for weekend and one of these for during the week tbh.

Golf GTi
Oh dear...Felt better built that the Focus ST3 I drove - but thats about it...
At the end fo the day - it was still a Golf....

Got a couple of specials lined up for tomorrow though - Morgan Aero8, Porsche GT3, Aston V8 Vantage *1978 version.. :D*

Simon/~Flibster

Flibster said:
Felt nowhere near as good as the 190bhp I drove earlier this year - felt far too loose and out of control *although 10500rpm. :eek: :D*
Simon/~Flibster
Awesome car isn't it. Driven the 230 and my god :eek:

Creature said:
Awesome car isn't it. Driven the 230 and my god :eek:

I didn't like the 230 as much as the 190. The 190 felt more balanced and a hell of a lot more useable day to day. *It's got more torque for a start..*

The 6 speed box needed far too much stirring on my normal trip to work and back. :(

The 230 with the 5 speed from the 190 may be better though - if you can get it done.

But they are great cars. It's looking likely to be my next car *unless I can persuade the other half to buy a Clio for her senibile moments and I can buy the Exige. ;)*

Simon/~Flibster

Flibster said:
Exige 240 Cup.
Sadly - I don't like the new Toymota engine..Shame - the rest of the car is still brilliant - Should have gone with the Alfa V6 instead.

Felt nowhere near as good as the 190bhp I drove earlier this year - felt far too loose and out of control *although 10500rpm. *

Lotus Esprit 350
I LOVE this car! It's a classic. Heavy Clutch, heavy steerign but when you get it in it's element it's V8 sings and the car makes sence

Smart Brabus Roadster-Coupe
I really like this one as well - it's a nice little cruiser - I could happily have a Exige for weekend and one of these for during the week tbh.

Golf GTi
Oh dear...Felt better built that the Focus ST3 I drove - but thats about it...
At the end fo the day - it was still a Golf....

Got a couple of specials lined up for tomorrow though - Morgan Aero8, Porsche GT3, Aston V8 Vantage *1978 version.. :D*

Simon/~Flibster

Wow, nice selection of cars. New and used? That Morgan should be fun to drive and the Porsche very quick. The Aston, is going to be an Aston, have presence :D

Dont thrash them around now ;)

Flibster said:
I didn't like the 230 as much as the 190. The 190 felt more balanced and a hell of a lot more useable day to day. *It's got more torque for a start..*

The 6 speed box needed far too much stirring on my normal trip to work and back. :(

The 230 with the 5 speed from the 190 may be better though - if you can get it done.

But they are great cars. It's looking likely to be my next car *unless I can persuade the other half to buy a Clio for her senibile moments and I can buy the Exige. ;)*

Simon/~Flibster
Yea, I did find the 230 to be a bit of a heaver drive, but when you're 19 and driving a car like that you just don't care :D

Bennah said:
Wow, nice selection of cars. New and used? That Morgan should be fun to drive and the Porsche very quick. The Aston, is going to be an Aston, have presence :D

Dont thrash them around now ;)

Both new and used

Exige was new, RX-8 was used, Exprit350 was used - but only had 2500 miles on it, Brabus Roadster was new, Golf GTi was new.

Morgan tomorrow is a Used car same as the Porsche and the Aston is well loved...

Me? Thrash them around? As if I would..
innocent.gif
angel_not.gif

GPMA not discussing Mosley's entry window

McLaren boss Ron Dennis claims that the GPMA teams have yet to decide on their approach to the imminent entry deadline for the 2008 championship later this month.

Although FIA president Max Mosley wrote to the teams this week indicating that there would be no backing down over his plans to have a one-week entry window for teams later this month, the stance appears to have left the manufacturer teams unmoved.

In fact, according to Dennis, all the manufacturers are currently focused on the imminent decision from the European Commission about whether a buy-out of Formula One shares by investment company CVC Capital Partners will be given the green light on competition grounds.

A decision on that will be made on March 21, which is the day before the FIA World Council meets to discuss the proposals for the 'window of opportunity' for the teams that is expected to be between March 24 and March 31.

Dennis, speaking at the Malaysian Grand Prix, was adamant that no decision was yet taken among the teams about whether they would sign up before the March 31 deadline.

"It's not under discussion at the moment," he explained. "First we want to finalise an agreement with CVC. That's our goal."

When asked whether he believed entries to the 2008 championship should be an issue early in 2006, he said: "It is 2008 - I won't be drawn into it."

Double Fuel Trouble for Alonso

Fernando Alonso’s qualifying misery in qualifying in Malaysia occurred because the team fueled him twice after thinking that the first load hadn’t gone into the car.

In other words he was given enough to run double the distance he intended to in the first stint of the race.

The problem can to some degree be alleviated because he does not have to take on all of the “fuel credits” that the FIA return to him on Sunday morning. He did 12 laps in the third session, so he can now add anything from nothing to 12 laps’ worth to the fuel that is already in the tank.

The problem is that he is now starting from the fourth row rather than the front, so his original strategy has been turned on his head. The team could consider the option of running only one stop, which other cars in the race are believed to be doing.

Alonso, who also suffered an electronic glitch on his crucial final run, admitted that he was disappointed.

“A little bit,” said the World Champion. “The car was performing well all weekend, and now we are not in the position we decided, but there’s nothing we can do. We have to wait and see tomorrow, and try to be on the podium.

“There was an electronic problem in the car, with the gearshift. The traction control, the butterflies in the engine, and so on. We have to check because there were too many things in the software etc.

“Then we had a mistake with the fuel rigs. We had a problem the first time we put fuel, and we had to come in for a second time on the pit stop. We ended up with much more fuel than we expected. We can’t do anything now, and we’ll see tomorrow if it can help in the race.

“The first time we put fuel we thought there was nothing going in. So we went for the second time, but actually the first time it went OK, so we put too much.”

Alonso added the team would have to check the weight of the car after retrieving it from parc ferme, confirming that the engineers didn’t know exactly how much was aboard when it left the pits.

“It will be difficult starting from seventh, but we’ll try. We’ll try to be on the podium and score as many points as possible, and we’ll see how the race develops.”

Alonso says he’s not concerned about the engine for the race itself: “Not really. This morning we sorted out our software problem. We changed it, and it was OK. And now there are still some problems, but I think they know exactly what it is, and it’s very simple to sort out. The thing that worries me more is the fuel more than the electronics.”

However, he admitted that the rash of engine changes among other teams was a little unusual.

“We’ve seen too many changes of engine, eight I think in the first two races. It’s a little bit too much, and I’m sure it’s because it’s because the teams arrived with new V8s, and in two or three races we’ll have more reliability in the cars.”

Qualifying confusion

We’re pretty sure that Giancarlo Fisichella and Jenson Button will start Sunday’s second grand prix of the season from the front row of the grid for Renault and Honda respectively. It also seems likely that the sport’s new Poster Boy, Nico Rosberg will start from P3 (assuming they don’t announce engine changes later.)

But after that, confusion reigns, as getting these new V8 engines to last two race weekends is proving problematic. At the moment, and in no particular order, Michael Schumacher, Felipe Massa, Rubens Barrichello, Ralf Schumacher and our own David Coulthard all needed engine changes. This means in simple terms they all start at the back. But deciding which driver actually starts at the back of the front, which one at the front of the back and which at the back of the back, is something that the brains of the FIA are currently working on. If one applies the rule about dropping ten places, it would seem that some cars might line up for the start somewhere on Runway 1 at the nearby Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

So the F1 journalists were all busy scratching their heads and counting on their fingers, but we reckon they had an easier time than the man commentating on the Porsche race that followed F1 qualifying. While the relatively straightforward Mr. Oyoung was in the lead, second place belonged to someone by the magnificently tongue-twisting name of Charoensukhawatana. At the back of the field in the race was a gentleman called Proost. He did not seem to have any of the driving skills of famous French racer Alain Prost, but given he was at the back, perhaps he had more in common with famous French writer Marcel Proust, whose most famous work was called “In Search of Lost Time;” something this Porsche racer could definitely do with finding.

Three F1 Drivers Slapped with Fines
Three drivers left Sepang with empty wallets on Friday, after the FIA slapped them with speeding fines.

MF1 racer Christijan Albers was the first to fall foul of the 60kph pitlane limit. The Dutchman nabbed at 61.5 and copping a $250 blow.

Honda's Anthony Davidson did 61.7, incurring a similar fine, but 'Friday' debutant Giorgio Mondini - driving, like Albers, an MF1 car - must have felt ill after accidentally racing up to nearly 80kph in the 60kph zone.

The Swiss-Italian will have to pay a huge $4750.

OUCH!

Makes £60 look like peanuts doesn't it? :eek:

Them fines are nowt to them. Mondini, trying to set a new Pit Lane record speed at sepang :p

So we got some news on why Alonso was slower than expected. Bad mistake on qualifying terms but might just play nicelt into his hands tomorrow for the race. Down on the 4th row of the grid, they might throw in another 12 laps of fuel and fill him up. The Renault is one of the fastest cars off the line anyways, so extra weight wouldnt be a problem that much. Depends if he can have the race pace though. Will see tomorrow.

Still cant figure out what the order is. Simon you got any ideas?

Bennah said:
Still cant figure out what the order is. Simon you got any ideas?

I really want to know before the race, its annoying really as the qualifying only shows half of what the grid is like.

I had another go at recalculating the grid, based on the order of the engine failures (well what I know of the engine changes and the order they happened). The order I came up with is this:

(NOT THE REAL GRID: )
01 Fisichella
02 Button
03 Rosberg
04 Webber
05 Montoya
06 Raikkonen
07 Alonso
08 Klien
09 Trulli
10 Heidfeld
11 Speed
12 Liuzzi
13 M.Schumacher
14 Albers
15 Monteiro
16 Sato
17 Ide
18 Barrichello
19 R.Schumacher
20 Coulthard
21 Villeneuve
22 Massa

I gave each of the drivers a penalty based on the order of the failure: (1.JV 2.DC 3.RB 4.MAS 5.MSC 6.MAS 7.RSC.) JV got the penalty first as he failed first, Ralf gets the penalty after everyone else as he was last to fail.

I think this really suggests that although this qualifying is exciting, whats the point if the fans dont have any idea/and cant even work out where everyone begins for the race! Surely that is the point of quali!

I put Massa in last as hes got the 20 place penalty. Ralf is 19th as he would move to 9th after Micheal changes his engine, then Ralf changes his engine after everyone else, moving him to 19th, simple :confused: ?

edit: I agree typeR, none of us should have to be calculating this ourselves, they should have released a provisional grid straight after qually - with the current engine changes included. If there are more changes then they can inform us before the race, otherwise qualifying is exciting, but pointless.

EDIT2:
If what creature says above/below is true then the grid I made would have been this:

19 Coulthard
20 Villeneuve
21 Massa
22 R.Schumacher

The only thing I can certain of is that this qualifying is confusing, I thought I had worked it out but now I think I'm probably totally wrong.

Last edited:
Flibster said:
But Massa had his engine changed twice...

:confused:
They said anyone who changes after qualifying automatically goes to the back. Massa also changed twice before Schumacher, so Massa would go to the back, then Schumacher.....I don't know, we'll find out in 12 hours.

Ok...Excel has just given up....pen has run out of ink...

Eyes are knackered from reading and re-reading the rules...

I think this may be correct...unless anyone else changes their engine...

Expected grid line-up

Code:
[b]Pos	Driver[/b]
1	Fisichella
2	Button
3	Rosberg
4	Webber 
5	Montoya
6	Raikkonen
7	Alonso
8	Klien
9	Trulli