**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

Ulfhedjinn said:
What sort of test would you call fair then, going to every spot in the game testing every possible combination of graphics settings? :confused:

Standing in one spot, using the old quick save/load technique between changing settings, is a time-tested method.

You need a series of benchmarks which cover the range of different scenarios within the game, just like you need to sample the entire solution field with any statistical model.

To give you examples to get your head around: Say indoors, outdoors, heavy combat, no combat, and combinations thereof. Single point tests are fine when they're possible, but you need to perform them in several different places to build up an accurate picture of what is going on. It's just a simple statistical process. Every new data point adds accuracy to your global estimate, but a single point can't accurately represent anything.

I mean, what if I was to look up at the sky and try changing the graphics settings? I would most likely find that I get about 150fps no matter the resolution or detail settings, and that the only thing which changes the fps is the CPU clock (since many background processes must continue whether you're looking at them or not). Would I then conclude that the game was entirely CPU limited? :confused: If I did, clearly I would be wrong.

Duff-Man said:
You need a series of benchmarks which cover the range of different scenarios within the game, just like you need to sample the entire solution field with any statistical model.

To give you examples to get your head around: Say indoors, outdoors, heavy combat, no combat, and combinations thereof. Single point tests are fine when they're possible, but you need to perform them in several different places to build up an accurate picture of what is going on. It's just a simple statistical process. Every new data point adds accuracy to your global estimate, but a single point can't accurately represent anything.
We're trying to figure out what graphics setting bogs the game down, not running a complete analysis of how the physics and AI affect framerate.

Simply standing somewhere with a couple of NPCs and buildings and a fire going is enough to test how pretty much all the shading and lighting affects performance, and get a rough idea of which is the killer.

Duff-Man said:
I mean, what if I was to look up at the sky and try changing the graphics settings? I would most likely find that I get about 150fps no matter the resolution or detail settings, and that the only thing which changes the fps is the CPU clock (since many background processes must continue whether you're looking at them or not). Would I then conclude that the game was entirely CPU limited? :confused: If I did, clearly I would be wrong.
Are you honestly suggesting that loadsamoney is retarded enough to test that way?

Think you're seriously underestimating his common sense here.

Ulfhedjinn said:
We're trying to figure out what graphics setting bogs the game down, not running a complete analysis of how the physics and AI affect framerate.

Simply standing somewhere with a couple of NPCs and buildings and a fire going is enough to test how pretty much all the shading and lighting affects performance, and get a rough idea of which is the killer.

Are you honestly suggesting that loadsamoney is retarded enough to test that way?

Think you're seriously underestimating his common sense here.

Look, loadsamoney said:

"Well thats odd, theres only one setting by the looks of it that affects the frame-rate"

And then used a test in a single location to suggest this would be the case everywhere. I'm just pointing out this won't be ever true due to the complexities of modern games, and explaining why. Why are you getting your panties in a twist? Have I offended you somehow?

The point is that things vary a lot within a game, and different settings will have a vastly different effect in different areas. From your point of view that one scene with a few NPCs and a few lighting effects seems representitive, but from a computational point of view it's just a series of shader instructions and CPU calls. There is nothing to suggest that the setting you choose (which will modify these shader instructions) to improve performance for this set of instructions will work for in other locations with other sets of instructions. The other scene may "look" similar, but have a completely different set of internal bottlenecks, and so respond differently to the settings you use.

Duff-Man said:
Why are you getting your panties in a twist? Have I offended you somehow?
Actually, I was wondering why you were getting your knickers in a twist over LoadsaMoney's findings.

I guess some people just like to pick apart a very reasonable analysis, then overanalyse, for no reason.

Spirit7 said:
Is it me or is this game REALLY hard? Any tips for surviving firefights against more than one person? Am I doing something wrong?!

-C

Use cover ALWAYS. Use lean whenever you can. Watch your flanks. Don't be afraid to fall back/run away from overwhelming odds.

YEP cover is the key, theres no real way of combating the lack of accurate powerful weaponary at the start of the game, so it comes down to how you approach the situation, so remember use cover, think smart and be conservative with your ammo.

when fighting out in the open, if possible find yourself a nice position with plenty cover and plain view of target, when the fire fight starts, draw them towards you, let them come out in the open, when they are close enough for your weapon to be sufficiently accurate, use short 1-3shot bursts, i tend to aim for head as most of the tougher badguys are wearing armour.

if in a building, use doorways hidearound the corner and lean out taking short busrts, if you know the badguy is right round the corner and very close, jump out and give him a good old spray to the head, when clearing rooms, remember to sweep in all direction as you enter, they could be hiding right round the corner of the doorframes.

and as said above watch your flanks, they do very often try to come at you from the sides if they get close enough.
and dont for the love of got let your guard down, there have been many a time when i was starting out, i'd thought i'd killed everyone, started looting the bodys only to be gunned down halfway through rummaging in someones pockets, its a tad frightening and downright annoying.

i find the AI in this game to be quite smart "most of the time" and use cover to there advantage when possible, i've had some very enjoyable firefights against the AI

Last edited:
I tried to like this game.
I mean - I spent £25 on the thing, and have been anticipating its release for a while.
So, its not like I have any reason for not wanting to like it.

The truth is though, this game sucks.
It is very poor for something released in 2007.
And...its not just the graphics etc that make it bad. The gameplay is bad too.
I just have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing in this game.
I dont understand the missions at all, and what's with the random anomoly things? It's just so old fashioned, out-dated and uninteresting.
I'm not drawn into this in any way that I was HL2 or Farycry.

I've only done the first mission and been exploring a bit the rest of the time, but can someone confirm that there are no vehicles to get around the map in? What happens when you need to travel from one side of the map to the other... could take forever?

And that you cannot "sleep" like you can in oblivion? So if you want to wait til morning (for some light) you have to wait?

benskia said:
I tried to like this game.
I mean - I spent £25 on the thing, and have been anticipating its release for a while.
So, its not like I have any reason for not wanting to like it.

The truth is though, this game sucks.
It is very poor for something released in 2007.
And...its not just the graphics etc that make it bad. The gameplay is bad too.
I just have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing in this game.
I dont understand the missions at all, and what's with the random anomoly things? It's just so old fashioned, out-dated and uninteresting.
I'm not drawn into this in any way that I was HL2 or Farycry.

It seems to me that is exactly the way the game is meant to be, you aren't supposed to understand the situation, or what the anomalys are, hell the first time I left the camp I walked up to a wibbly thing and had a bit of a poke about, nearly pooped myself when it exploded in my face then went back for another look and it killed me :)

redline said:
Custom PC and its staff are a bunch of donkeys, the frame rates they get on tests, both hardware and software seems miles out most of the time.

The whole magazine reeks of amateurism.

Shiny but crap.

I agree...they often talk cobblers!

Ok feel free to abuse me......but I am stuck and really frustrated with how hard this game is! I don't mean the actual combat just the constant radiation effects and lack of supplies.

I have got to the part where you have to go underground via a man hole type thing! The area says something about high radiation protection required and it just seems impossible to get throgh and kill the enemies below whilst your health is dropping like a stone!

Do I have to get a suit or something before this level?....if so where from?

I also think the graphics aren't all that special and when you look at Far Cry which is three years old they look very average for the performance!

Guinny said:
spoiler:< do the Bar special/main quests (starts by giving the barman the X18 documents), when you get to the scientist buy an Orange Suit and while in x16 be sure to pick up Ghosts Suit (hint when you found the Suit, at that position look at your hud map with care). when you get back to the report the mission done, ask the scientist for a job, select the one to do with the suit and then tell him "your here about the job" and he'll give you an even better protective suit. >

edit: PS font colour is #1c5780, works for a spoiler as long as the spoiler does not get quoted.

Last edited:
keogh said:
I've only done the first mission and been exploring a bit the rest of the time, but can someone confirm that there are no vehicles to get around the map in? What happens when you need to travel from one side of the map to the other... could take forever?

And that you cannot "sleep" like you can in oblivion? So if you want to wait til morning (for some light) you have to wait?

Anyone???

I have to say, I am quite enjoying this game. I'm only gutted by the fact that I can't use Dynamic lighting without it crashing. I tested it last night during a night time thunderstorm. WOW. The lighting of the lighning is sooo cool. But I like it too much to stop myself from continugin with just static lighting.

My only other gripe is the time limit on missions. I checked my log and I failed one without knowing. It was the one where you're suppose to meet mole or something. I missed that days ago, and it was one of the earlier missions. Doh.

Lots of people are complaining about weapon accuracy, and some people are hacking the game to make it more accuate. Nonsense. Don't take out the challenge of the game. Wait until later when you get better weapons. That's what I'm looking forward to.

Plunk13 said:
Lots of people are complaining about weapon accuracy.
Am I the only one who finds most weapons more accurate when you don't zoom/aim down the sight?

Definitely a problem there, I don't even bother to aim down the sight much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom