**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

Amadeus said:
anyone finding the weapons system weird?

I seem to be carrying half a ton of weps, not much ammo, and can't put anything wep onto slot 2 or 4???

too heavyily loaded to move, so I drop most and then have no ammo....can't seem to work it out lol

Part of the gameplay.. Which I love :d makes me think what weapons to use keep or sell. It also adds to the whole theme of the game.

I've found a sniper-rifle, pretty pants but damage is darn high - also found a scope, much better than the sniper rifle when coupled with the fast shooting AK.

Is there anyway of increasing the amount one can carry or does that increase further down the game? I'm at 50KG and >60KG = overweight, can't move.

This game pretty much open-ended and do what one please, I kinda like the freedom to kill :P

Anyone having problems attaching the scope. I got the PSO-1 scope, and just can't get it to attach to an Akm 74/2U. The only options I get when right-clicking it are drop, and dragging the scope over the gun doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone help?

Dr Jones said:
I've found a sniper-rifle, pretty pants but damage is darn high - also found a scope, much better than the sniper rifle when coupled with the fast shooting AK.

Is there anyway of increasing the amount one can carry or does that increase further down the game? I'm at 50KG and >60KG = overweight, can't move.

This game pretty much open-ended and do what one please, I kinda like the freedom to kill :P

AFAIK there are artifacts that let you carry more.

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get to get out of the lab with the combination lock doors i have got through the last door and found the the papers to do with the X18?? what that is i do not know, and now something (or someone as it says) is holding the door shut to let me out, and i cant fugure for the life of me how to get out???

Egg

Well thats odd, theres only one setting by the looks of it that affects the frame-rate, ive just tried mine with fraps running there, i was getting about 42-60 in 1280x1024, dynamic lighting etc... maxed everything, yet when i turned around just outside the camp to face back into the camp (just standing a bit up the road from the crashed bus, and truck) the frame-rate went to about 30, so i reduced every setting one at a time (and one notch at a time excpet the lighting distance) then kept going back to the game to check, and the frame-rate never changed at all, i even changed resolutions, 1280x960, 1024x768, and still 30fps.

Went back and maxed everything again, the decided to only reduce the lighting distance right down, went back to game and boom, frame-rate shot up to about 44-45fps, thought was a bit odd so went back into options, maxed it again, back to game, and sure enough 30fps again, so its only the lighting distance that is affecting the frame-rate as i tried reducing everything else including screen res, and the frame-rate never moved from 30. :)

Not sure what the lighting distance does, as it looked the same to me with it fully reduced, yet i got about 15fps more in that spot.

Amadeus said:
anyone finding the weapons system weird?

I seem to be carrying half a ton of weps, not much ammo, and can't put anything wep onto slot 2 or 4???

too heavyily loaded to move, so I drop most and then have no ammo....can't seem to work it out lol

You do know that in your inventory you can right click the weapon and select unload. This will move all the ammo into boxes in your inventory.

So if you have 5 pistols for example, unload them all to create one box of xxx bullets. Now you have 5 pistols that are all empty, check what one is in the best condition, and flog the other 4. Thats what I do anyway, works a treat!

BillHicksRIP said:
Anyone having problems attaching the scope. I got the PSO-1 scope, and just can't get it to attach to an Akm 74/2U. The only options I get when right-clicking it are drop, and dragging the scope over the gun doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone help?
equip the gun to your No.3 slot, then right click the scope, there should be an option to attatch to rifle, but the gun has to be equiped first, it works for me anyway.

starting to get some juicy guns now, its just so heartbreaking deciding what to pick up and what to leave...

when you get past the first few areas and missions, things start to get a lot better, more atmospheric and bloody creepy, there have been a few occasions, where i've had to step away from the computer and regain composure before continuing.
i must say i thoroughly enjoy sneaking about derelict buildings hunting down bandits, moving up slowly sweeping every room, taking there ammo from there bloody corpses.

dispite the zone being a lot more populated than i had expected it to be, when you are in areas like the dark valley and such and you desperatly searching every corpse you find for some measly rounds of ammo, you get the feeling you really are alone, that you really are in a post apocalyptic landscape and survival really is everything.

Vista 64 crash fix

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the new NVIDIA BETAS 101.41 fix the crashes in Vista 64. I think.

*Edit - no, it still crashes. Less than before though*

Last edited:
LoadsaMoney said:
Well thats odd, theres only one setting by the looks of it that affects the frame-rate

Not sure what the lighting distance does, as it looked the same to me with it fully reduced, yet i got about 15fps more in that spot.

*sigh*

This is the over-simplification people always make...

Each game scene is radically different, in terms of the calculations required to render it. Every scene (in fact every frame if you're moving) puts different stresses on the CPU, and different areas of the GPU. Just because you see no improvement (or conversely a huge improvement) in one place doesn't mean that will be the case elsewhere. You cannot make any assumptions from static tests, or even moving tests within a particular scene.

The same is true of "CPU limitation". There is no 'xxx GPU will be limited by anything less than yyy CPU' - it's all game scene specific. At any given frame in any given game, either the CPU or the GPU will finish the work assigned to it first. You can alter the balance of probabilities towards the GPU by incrasing the resolution and detail level, and vice-versa by dropping it.

Last edited:
My copy came anyway despite me cancelling my order : /

Any, installed it last night and been playing quite well on my rig. I'm absolutely loving it now I have put some time into it. It really takes time to get going.

Having said that it's the first game since Oblivion last year to keep me at my computer GAMING for longer than 2 hours for a very long time.

It's a cracking game, and despite the performance problems for the more fancy effects I think the game scales remarkably well :)

Diakatarnis said:
Any ETA on a patch?

Dunno but I want one now :P can't get into the duty area after recovering the military documents, game always crashes on the level transition :(

hope its not corrupted my save game in some way and atm I really don't have the heart to trawl through that massive pile of gunfights again :(

LoadsaMoney said:
Ive just had the dreaded flashing grey triangles all over the shop and red streaks through the sky when it was lashing down. :(
Yup I get that too sometimes when it rains, not happened for days though.

Sometimes get a big, green triangle from the left side of the screen to the crosshairs too.

Duff-Man said:
The whole point is that from such a comparison you cannot draw conclusions about performance as a whole.
What sort of test would you call fair then, going to every spot in the game testing every possible combination of graphics settings? :confused:

Standing in one spot, using the old quick save/load technique between changing settings, is a time-tested method.

Back
Top Bottom