***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

• Thread starter Thread starter RSR
  • Start date Start date
Chaps can anyone help. I'm on Orange and I've noticed that I can't send picture messages. Now I know I could and I've checked the settings against the Orange website in case they've changed but it keeps saying message send failure. Anyone had the same issue?

Go to Settings -> Access Points -> Select Orange or EE. If that doesn't work phone Orange.

Thanks EliotG. For anyone who experiences the same problem i sorted it by doing the following, my mms apn settings were correct as per orange's website yet it still wouldn't send any pictures so I deleted all the settings and it now works?!

Am I right that after the update the WIFI is connecting loads quicker?

I'm pretty sure it used to be 3ish seconds, now it seems to be about 1 second.

I definitely noticed much faster connection when using wifi. In addition if you go to 'advanced' and click the 'keep wifi on (or something like that)' setting, it won't disconnect and reconnect every time you turn the screen on and off, which some people report saves battery.

I definitely noticed much faster connection when using wifi. In addition if you go to 'advanced' and click the 'keep wifi on (or something like that)' setting, it won't disconnect and reconnect every time you turn the screen on and off, which some people report saves battery.

Turning that on increased my battery life by about 6 hours when I first did it 3 weeks after the Portico update, so it's definitely that setting that did the increase.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I came to the Lumia 920 from an iphone 4, and the difference was night and day - absolutely fantastic, although obviously a little more bulky.

I assumed some early issues with battery life would be ironed out, and they eventually were, although this might have been because I had to replace my handset after bricking it trying to do a factory reset. (I know it's not bricking but dusting off nokia care suite does bad things to the warranty so I swapped the handset out.)

Then the problems with dust under the front facing camera started. Compressed air mostly sorted them, but it was still an issue. After that, when someone knocked it out of my hand accidentally a month long battle with my insurers began which is still ongoing.

The upshot of this is that for the last three weeks I've been using an old HTC Desire S android handset that I picked up on ebay for about 50 quid, as a smartphone is moderately essential for my part time job and useful for studying. Since I last gave it a look, Android has blown IOS right out of the water - even on ageing hardware it's a smooth experience with functionality that outright shames Apple products. I can't stress enough how much I did not realise that android had matured into a usable platform.

The insurance aren't sure if they can replace the Lumia with an EE compatible one or not,but will eventually send me something high end is that can always go on ebay. My choice is this: go and pick up a sim free Sony Xperia Z tomorrow, or wait and hope that my Lumia 920 can be returned to me? What are the most compelling arguments for staying with windows phone as opposed to android?

Are there ever any compelling arguments in these cases? Having used all three, I like aspects of them all. But at the moment I prefer Windows Phone, but knowing what I am like this may change in the future.

These days I think phone/platform choice is a personal thing. If I was in your shoes I'd want my lumia back because that is the phone and platform I want to use right now.

Very good point. I suspect part of it is a mix of impatience and being happy with whatever I'm using in the moment, and there is a definite bias applied by the fact that I was expecting to hate every second of this supposedly crappy android handset. I knew that I was bored with IOS, and for me WP is better, but I can't seem to think of specific reasons why. (Also one iphone lasted over two years. This will be my third Lumia 920 if they can even replace it.)

Just updated to 1232.5957.1308.0004 :D

wp_update.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for the heads up, just checked and updated myself. Do we know what the change log is?

Looks like I have a different version to you though?

EDIT: This is the update I got
We’ve had a few reports come in today and a discussion in our forums about a new firmware update that is evidently being pushed out to those with a Lumia 920. To be clear, this is just a firmware update (not OS), bringing it from 1232.5951.1249.1017 to 1232.5951.1249.1018. That’s a small change and we’re confident in saying no new features will be on board.

This should also be only for those on Orange UK (EE) with carrier subsidized Lumia 920s. We are not getting reports of any other carriers, nor is this the new 1308 firmware with Storage option.

One possible explanation for the update is reportedly the 1017 ‘Portico’ had some stability problems related to “signal as well as call cut-offs and freezes” which v1018 addresses.

Last edited:
Cheers for the heads up, just checked and updated myself. Do we know what the change log is?

Looks like I have a different version to you though?

EDIT: This is the update I got

[I]snip[/I][/QUOTE]

I got this update at the beginning of the week (I'm on Orange). Not sure what Andy's update is? Any more info Andy?

I got this update at the beginning of the week (I'm on Orange). Not sure what Andy's update is? Any more info Andy?

Its the UK generic firmware. However, my handset it's self is a Vodafone UK handset.

Nokia Quote

As part of Nokia’s continuous development practice, we will be introducing new software updates for Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 820. This software, version 1232.5957.1308.00xx, includes further performance and stability improvements, enhancements to display stability during a call, and improved automatic display brightness adjustment.

In addition, Nokia Lumia 620 has some new software in the pipeline. This software, version 1030.6407.1308.00xx, will include improved touch behavior and enhancements to system stability and camera picture quality, such as corrected camera exposure when the flash is used in bright light conditions.

We are starting to deliver the latest software on new Lumia 920, Lumia 820 and Lumia 620 smartphones now. Current users of these smartphones will be receiving the updates to their phones later. In case you haven’t updated your phone software before, see this Nokia support page for useful instructions on how to receive and install an update on your Nokia Lumia phone.

Please note: Availability and timing of the update is region dependent and to contact your local Nokia Care team for more information.

From - Nokia Blog

Back
Top Bottom