What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh man, it's going to be a horror shop of swirls isn't it? :o In that case I'll just leave it be, don't have a problem with the polished parts, just all brushed looks nicer to me like on the revised Hydro (sadly not made in 39mm).

wickfut, not my kind of watch design that but it's not about what others on forums like so it's all good :) Pics when it arrives!

Soldato
Avoid the scratch pens, (£3 on ebay) those and cape cod polishing cloths leave a right mess. I've recondition dozens of bracelets, depends how bad they are to start with. But will some practice and the right tools/technique you can get amazing results. Hardest part is keeping the finish consistent, I can always tell when a scotchbrite has been used. They leave little swirls at the end of a pass, you'll get better results with a Garryflex block. Like anything preparation is the key, applying the brush finish is the final part after polishing out scratches and careful masking. Omega SMP take some effort to get right with polished segments, if it's all brushed then a lot easier.

What do you use for a mirror Polish finish? Cape cods suck

Soldato
What do you use for a mirror Polish finish? Cape cods suck

Bench mounted polisher. Black or Tripoli brown compound with a sisal mop to cut and a loose mop with either green or white compound to mirror. Then a sonic bath to get it clean. Doesn't have to be expensive, £50 should get you bench grinder and a kit to convert it to a polisher along with all the mops and compounds. Just watch which direction the piece you're working on flies off at sub-sonic speeds when the wheel grabs it.

Never use cape cods on anything with a largish mirror polished face, like the side of a watch. The impregnated cloth is too abrasive. It'll leave lines or marks on the surface, angle it up to the light and you'll see them. Try some blue or white polishing compound ground up in white spirit. Dip with a sunshine or selvyt cloth, excellent for getting hairline scratches out. Finish any polishing with a light buff using some fine calcium carbonate on a lint free cloth, it's called vienna lime or whiting power. Takes off any left over compound, oxides or fingerprints etc.

Last edited:
Associate
and it lands..

7bha.jpg

Soldato
It needs a rather large wrist to look ok. What size is it?

I think the size is fine, but I'm not one to ask as this is huge:

Not a big fan of Breitling though, I just can't like them. I try. Looks like a 45?

It's 45mm. Heres a link

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/avenger/avenger-ii-seawolf/technical-data/

Its really thick though, the external bezel adds to the thickness. You couldn't wear it with a suit unless your cuffs are very loose! I wasn't into Breitling much, but they are so well made and different to other brands. I wore both this and a Deep Sea back to back and I don't understand how Rolex can charge over £8k for the deep sea when this is just as good.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
wickfut that looks nicer in your picture than it does on that other picture. Nice.

Not a fan of Tag though sadly, only the Monaco pulls my fancy.

Associate
Looks in good company there! What's it like to wear?

Had about 2 minutes on my arm with it before I went to work, Just got home now. It's heavy , I like it but I'm thinking I maybe should have went for the 35mm instead of the 40mm.

I've been quoted £350 to get the Tag cleaned up/polished and new hands as they're corroding. Not sure if I should bother as it's getting on 15 years old.
Any ideas for a half decent daily beater than can handle being knocked about for a similar price?

Caporegime
Had about 2 minutes on my arm with it before I went to work, Just got home now. It's heavy , I like it but I'm thinking I maybe should have went for the 35mm instead of the 40mm.

I've been quoted £350 to get the Tag cleaned up/polished and new hands as they're corroding. Not sure if I should bother as it's getting on 15 years old.
Any ideas for a half decent daily beater than can handle being knocked about for a similar price?

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/GMT-OCEAN-1-BLACK,2.html :p

Associate
Caporegime
I've seen those Steinharts about and always thought they were just rebadged chinese clones. Just checked the website and they make their own movements and everything.

interesting.

Speaking of homage watches, just came cross this AP Diver

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SWISS-LEGEN...HRONOGRAPH/dp/B008XA53I8/ref=pd_sbs_watches_2

Well, technically they buy the movement from ETA, who supplies the same movements to Hamilton, Tissot, Christopher Ward, Raymond Weil and the like. And then like the others, build them to suit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom