Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Got my QAV400 ARTF Frame in the post today, still a bit of practicing to do before I'm even flying it LOS never mind FPV.

20140107_172253.jpg

20140107_173416.jpg

Soldato
Looks like I can't use this powersupply, the power fluctuates between 12v and about 18volts which might explain why it appeared to be dying in the first place.

Tried the charger that comes with the Blade 350 qx (the one with only croc clips) hooked up to a 12v car battery charger and it errors... found an old 12v plug/transformer for a no longer used printer... sliced the connector off and bared the copper but the charger still errors... pain in the ass.

I use a portable jump starter/battery pack to power my charger (I also have a Blade 350qx).
Mine cost about £100, but even a cheap one (<£30) should work since all they contain is a 12V battery.

Soldato
Got my QAV400 ARTF Frame in the post today, still a bit of practicing to do before I'm even flying it LOS never mind FPV.
Very nice!! I'm always very impressed by these with CC3D FC when I see vidoes from them, probably the smoothest and best FPV setup you can get! :)

Associate
Its acutally a Openpilot Revolution Board and GPS in that at the minute, not connected up as was borrowed from the Warthox just to see the QAV mocked up.

But yes my first few flights with the Revo are very pleasant

Associate
Which charger is it that came with the blade? Is a proprietary one that the seller supplies or a generic one from hobbyking or some such?

Mat

Mat

Soldato

20140107_172253.jpg

Do those yellow standoffs provide anti-vibration to the whole main body (fuselage?!). It doesn't look as though there is any specifically for the camera.

It does look very nice though...

Soldato
Hi all,

So I made an impulse buy and it's arriving today... belated Christmas pressie to myself :D

DJI Phantom 2 RTF
Spare Smart Battery
FatShark Predator v2 Setup
Cloverleaf antenna TX/RX set for Fatshark

I'm thinking of getting a Zenmuse and GoPro come payday although that might change - I'm waiting on some feedback from a friend regarding a Mobius camera and gimbal setup first.

I've got a GoPro adapter so I can do some filming with my Drift HD which I usually use for HG, but I'm guessing it'll not be very smooth without anti-vibration mounts!

Plan is to spend a week or two (weather permitting) getting used to flying it LOS before even considering FPV.

A few questions:

1) Is it worth getting some better blades (carbon fibre?) if any are actually available
2) I want a GPS tracker in case it goes AWOL - this thing could get very far away with 25 mins flight time. Any suggestions?
3) I can't find anywhere that stocks the blade guards for the Phantom 2... any ideas? There are some on eBay but they look like Chinese knock-offs. :)
4) Do I need a Lipo voltage checker for the smart battery or will I be fine storing it once the Phantom has told me it's in need of charging? Should I store batteries in a Quality street tin or something for safety?
5) Any likelihood of chargers that can charge multiple Smart batteries soon?

Cheers!

Don
Answers:

1) Is it worth getting some better blades (carbon fibre?) if any are actually available
The Stock Phantom 2 / Vision blades are excellent. I've tried many different blades on my Phantom 1 and the stock 2 / Vision ones are the best

2) I want a GPS tracker in case it goes AWOL - this thing could get very far away with 25 mins flight time. Any suggestions?
Garmin GTU10

3) I can't find anywhere that stocks the blade guards for the Phantom 2... any ideas? There are some on eBay but they look like Chinese knock-offs.
Don't bother with blade guards. You aren't going to hit things with it and if you do, you have more to worry about than just breaking a blade

4) Do I need a Lipo voltage checker for the smart battery or will I be fine storing it once the Phantom has told me it's in need of charging? Should I store batteries in a Quality street tin or something for safety?
Keep batteries at 1/2 charge if storing them for more than a week without use. A steel tin is a good idea.

5) Any likelihood of chargers that can charge multiple Smart batteries soon?
Maybe. DJI have used a propriatory connection which has annoyed a lot of fliers. I'm sure the chinese copy places will make something sooner or later

Soldato
Thanks, Rilot, really appreciate that.

BTW - what are people using to mount things like VTX and Trackers... Just white velcro with a sticky back on one side? I take it the more expensive plasticky stuff rather than the fluffy type is strong enough to avoid things falling off?

I don't really like the idea of gluing anything to the casing but I suppose the only alternative is screwing things in.

Associate
Few upgrades to the f330 clone :)

New X8R receiver to go with my Taranis, SuperX FC and some Skids from a 600 heli as I'm not overly keen on landing on the battery I've decided. Have ordered a mobius action Cam and now just deciding on a FPV set up to try and cram onto this tiny frame.

Next step is a proper Hexa and Nex5n or GH2 with Gimbal, probably next month so I can build it in February and might get some decent weather to fly in March!

I'm veering towards the GH2 as we do a lot of stills photography and some video and the sample images I've seen from the 16mm lens on the 5n are just not up to par. A large rig capable of carrying a dSLR is just overkill, too expensive risky imho.

Our company is going to put both myself and one of our employees through the BNUC-S this spring so we'll be off doing commercial flights later this year :D

anyways......Pics!

Apologies for the shoddy quality, GS4 isn't great for low light and handheld malarkey!

Associate
Do those yellow standoffs provide anti-vibration to the whole main body (fuselage?!). It doesn't look as though there is any specifically for the camera.

It does look very nice though...

Yeah this frame basically is set up with a dirty and clean plate. The dirty plate, has the power distribution which the motor arms are directly bolted to these plates. The clean plate then holds, flight controller, VTx, and cameras attached to the dirty plate but with the yellow/orange rubber bobbins you see therefore removing all the jello.

Back
Top Bottom