Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Ah yes I see, thanks!

Thinking of this one, it has a cover for electronics, and a camera mount aswell.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Heavy_Aerial_Lift_Quadcopter_Frame_585mm.html
The problem with that one is it's really heavy.
I always think a 450 quad frame is always a good bet for a beginner, they're cheap, spare arms are everywhere for not much money and there is a power distribution board built into the bottom plate. Either the DJI F450 or the Hobby King Q450 are common ones. From trying and breaking almost all arms out there the DJI ones are strongest, my advice is to buy a Q450 and then get genuine DJI arms for spares.

Edit:
As for the other parts, here is a quick brain dump of what I'd buy if I was starting again and why...

ESCs - Any that can be flashed with SimonK firmware, or even better if you're starting out pre-flashed, for that go with the 30A Afro from Hobby King
Motors - SunnySky are the favourites at the moment, go for for the X2212 680KV you should be able to get a set of 4 for ~£50 delivered
Flight controller - KK2.1 from Hobby King is a great bet if you actually want to learn to fly. If you absolutely have to get a GPS capable FC then an APM would be best if you are capable of learning a little bit (it's not that bad, if you can install windows you can setup an APM), if you are technically hopeless or just aren't interested in tinkering at all go for a Naza Lite.

Last edited:
Soldato
the cost the dji is not worth it as a whole new frame cost 9.79 + postage from hobby king
Yeah but the HK arms are garbage, I've broken quite a few, two from falling about 1.5m into 1m high long grass on seperate occasions. They always break where the flat motor mounting area meets the bulk of the arm as it's a weak point, the genuine DJI arms are much stronger at that point and take a lot more abuse.

Associate
Yeah but the HK arms are garbage, I've broken quite a few, two from falling about 1.5m into 1m high long grass on seperate occasions. They always break where the flat motor mounting area meets the bulk of the arm as it's a weak point, the genuine DJI arms are much stronger at that point and take a lot more abuse.

well ive yet to take mine outside and crash, only flown it inside. Just hope this rain stops

Soldato
This is what I mean...
Hobby King on the left and genuine DJI onthe right, there's a big difference in the amount of material and cross sectional area at the point of breakage.
RVjgpaj.jpg

Soldato
its a nice frame especially for fpv , might go for it at a later date. The problem for me was that ive never flown a quad, and that if (i will) crash it, its cheap to replace the parts if not a new frame

The problem with that one is it's really heavy.
I always think a 450 quad frame is always a good bet for a beginner, they're cheap, spare arms are everywhere for not much money and there is a power distribution board built into the bottom plate. Either the DJI F450 or the Hobby King Q450 are common ones. From trying and breaking almost all arms out there the DJI ones are strongest, my advice is to buy a Q450 and then get genuine DJI arms for spares.

Edit:
As for the other parts, here is a quick brain dump of what I'd buy if I was starting again and why...

ESCs - Any that can be flashed with SimonK firmware, or even better if you're starting out pre-flashed, for that go with the 30A Afro from Hobby King
Motors - SunnySky are the favourites at the moment, go for for the X2212 680KV you should be able to get a set of 4 for ~£50 delivered
Flight controller - KK2.1 from Hobby King is a great bet if you actually want to learn to fly. If you absolutely have to get a GPS capable FC then an APM would be best if you are capable of learning a little bit (it's not that bad, if you can install windows you can setup an APM), if you are technically hopeless or just aren't interested in tinkering at all go for a Naza Lite.

Thanks have added the following to my basket -

Q450 Frame x 1
KK2.1 Flight Controller x 1
Afro ESC 30Amp - SimonK x 4
M200 Red Landing Gear x 1 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__40591__M200_Crab_Leg_Landing_Gear_Set_DIY_Red_.html
Rhino 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C Lipoly Pack x 1
Turnigy 5X 5Ch Mini Transmitter and Receiver (Mode 2) x 1

Motors - I'd ideally like to order all from the same place in one go, which would be better out of these two?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Motor_and_Propeller_Combo_10_4_5_CW_CCW.html

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._2209_980Kv_14Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html

Is there anything else I'd need to buy to be able to build & fly?

Soldato
Thanks have added the following to my basket -

Q450 Frame x 1
KK2.1 Flight Controller x 1
Afro ESC 30Amp - SimonK x 4
M200 Red Landing Gear x 1 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__40591__M200_Crab_Leg_Landing_Gear_Set_DIY_Red_.html
Rhino 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C Lipoly Pack x 1
Turnigy 5X 5Ch Mini Transmitter and Receiver (Mode 2) x 1

Motors - I'd ideally like to order all from the same place in one go, which would be better out of these two?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Motor_and_Propeller_Combo_10_4_5_CW_CCW.html

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._2209_980Kv_14Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html

Is there anything else I'd need to buy to be able to build & fly?
Looks mostly good to me with a couple changes. You don't need the landing gear, it adds weight and is a smaller area than the footprint of the quad so can be tippy, you only need one if you have a gimbal mounted underneath. You'll probably want more batteries than that too, one will only give you about 6-8 mins air time.

Motors, the first link has prop adapters with a flat in, this can limit your prop options somewhat. The motors in the second link aren't that powerful only being 99W. In the same range these seem a better option

As for what else you'll need...
Power pigtail to connect the battery to the distribution board.
Velcro.
Zip ties.
Propellers + spares.
M3x8 (I think) screws for connecting the motors to the arms, the supplied ones are usually too short.
Servo leads to connect your Rx to your KK2.1.
Battery voltage alarm.

Suspended
OK so with the Phantom 2... I was looking at a different gimbal and a Mobius camera as opposed to the ZenMuse and Gopro. Is the wiring for these gimbals standard or is the cable that's ready wired only designed for the ZenMuse (ie: will I have to swap out the cable or do any soldering?).

Late shift means I have no time to play with it right now and I have a busy weekend ahead... Meh, might have to take a day off next week!

Man of Honour
My collection of RTF Quads... also still have Walkera v120d02s heli but it doesn't get flown really. Gonna put some cash into a Phantom 2 come summer as 25min flight time is amazing! (only get around 6mins currently)

2014-01-09%2007.09.20.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ive allways wondered about the flight times on the phantom 2 because 25 minutes on a quad that size with those propellers would be amazing.

From what ive seen so far of the video's put up by DJI it can hover for 25 minutes,seems a bit misleading what they are claiming.

just reading a few comments from owners and some are saying 15-16 minutes of proper flying,thats still pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks mostly good to me with a couple changes. You don't need the landing gear, it adds weight and is a smaller area than the footprint of the quad so can be tippy, you only need one if you have a gimbal mounted underneath. You'll probably want more batteries than that too, one will only give you about 6-8 mins air time.

Motors, the first link has prop adapters with a flat in, this can limit your prop options somewhat. The motors in the second link aren't that powerful only being 99W. In the same range these seem a better option

As for what else you'll need...
Power pigtail to connect the battery to the distribution board.
Velcro.
Zip ties.
Propellers + spares.
M3x8 (I think) screws for connecting the motors to the arms, the supplied ones are usually too short.
Servo leads to connect your Rx to your KK2.1.
Battery voltage alarm.

Hi there,

Thank you for the help and information you're providing.

I was thinking of buying the landing gear as I'd like to mount my gopro 2 underneath.

10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) x 1
On Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm (2s~4s) x 1
Hex Screw M3x8 (20pcs) x 1
10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Black) x 2

Change the battery to
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack x 2
XT60 Male w/ 12AWG Silicon Wire 10cm (5pcs/bag) x 1

The motor you linked to they only have 3 available which sucks!

Would this one be ok? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...K3_2826_1240kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Soldato
Question:

What makes a multi-rotor outrunner so special? Some of them on HK say that the motors are specifically designed for multi rotor so are not similar to aeroplane outrunners...

Soldato
1240kv motors will potentially be struggling a bit with 10" props compared to the 980s. I'm not sure how much grunt they have compared to the NTM motors I'm used to.

My hobbyking 330 frame is just about still hanging in there, with 3 white arms and one red :D Matter of time before I crash it again and need a new frame.

Flew for the first time for about a month just now, quad still working just about, although one of the motors is definitely on it's last legs now. Sounds really rough when spinning down and you can see it isn't responding as quick as the other motors. Seems Hobbyking have stopped selling the version I have though which is annoying, maybe time to jump to some Sunnysky 1200kvs!

Soldato
Hi there,

Thank you for the help and information you're providing.

I was thinking of buying the landing gear as I'd like to mount my gopro 2 underneath.

10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) x 1
On Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm (2s~4s) x 1
Hex Screw M3x8 (20pcs) x 1
10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Black) x 2

Change the battery to
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack x 2
XT60 Male w/ 12AWG Silicon Wire 10cm (5pcs/bag) x 1

The motor you linked to they only have 3 available which sucks!

Would this one be ok? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...K3_2826_1240kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html
I have SK3 motors on my 450, they aren't bad but nothing special, you ideally want a KV rating around 800-1000kv for general flying.
Quite a few people have the NTM motors, they seem to be fine and these ones should suit a 450 quad pretty well - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...s_28_30S_900kv_270w_short_shaft_version_.html

CW rotation and CCW rotation, you don't want a plane sttempting to fly backwards :D
Are you sure you're not thinking of props rather than motors? If not swapping two of the 3 leads will reverse the rotation of any brushless motor :)

I'm not sure there is a difference between multirotor specific outrunners and 'normal' ones, you'll probably get kv and power ratings that are more suitable for load lifting than plane motors and you're more likely to get bolt on prop adapters. However there's no fundamental difference in how they operate.

Associate
The frame, get the verison with the PCB board if in stock

Battery alarm - there is one built into the KK2.1 but you will need a two pin lead to connect it

Try and majority of your stuff from the UK warehouse as your ordering a lot you may get hit by customs - for me a ordered the complete kit from the UK and the KK2.1 from the international warehouse.

Also Hobbyking do a thing called buddy codes and one time prices to get items cheaper ( I found this after i made my purchase)

Have a look at the website below to get cheaper prices. (this is a referal paid site but not directly to me but for anyone who post their buddy code online) Your allowed to use one buddy code per order.

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?cid=501&SortBy=&dt=&wh=uk#catalog

(!! Mods I dont know if im allowed to be post this link if not let me know and i will remove it !!)

Last thing clear your cart and cookies, go to the item which is the most expensive wait on that page for about 100 second and it will give you a one time offer at a cheaper price.

Back
Top Bottom