I think i'm getting "into" movie soundtracks, help!

Caporegime
Heh well not quite "help" as it's perfectly healthy, but I seem to be developing a real fondness for movie sountracks, specifically the classical orchestral styles. It started with a love of the AWESOME EPICNESS that is the Last of the Mohicans... if you haven't seen this film then please stop reading this and go and watch it, and then get the soundtrack.

Anyway, i've now managed to get hold of soundtracks for the following films:

• Gladiator
  • Dances with Wolves
  • LOTR Trilogy
  • Braveheart
  • Star Wars Original Trilogy
  • Indiana Jones Trilogy
  • Shawshank Redemption

The music from these is simply absolutely stunning... I never considered myself a lover of 'classical' or orchestral styles, but these albums carry you on swirling eddies of convoluted sound that i've never really experienced before, and I find that I can envision the films as I hear it and recognise different parts. I think I may start reading again and put this sort of music on in the background. I have LOTR on now and it's completely mind-blowing, I just wish to high heaven I had my Pio/Quad soundsystem over here in Switzerland... but even so it still sounds great out of my PC speakers. I can really imagine losing hours just lost in my own little world.

Anyone else here appreciate what i'm talking about, and reccommend any others of this style I might like? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Try Holst's Planet Suite. Should be right up your street.

I like classical and orchestral - it's not as elitist as people make it out to be :) You just need to give it time to sink in.

Soldato
I'm going to suggest these as I think they're pretty good although might not be quite to your taste :)
last of the samurai
final fantasy advent children
k-pax

Don't think you'd like the others (punisher, underworld, matrix, appleseed etc) as they're a bit harder or electro compared with what you're after

Associate
Anything from Tyler Bates or Hans Zimmer id imagine would be what you were after.

My favourite soundtracks include from The Matrix, Gladiator, 300.

Oh i forgot to add Requiem for a dream. There is a song from that which is amazing.

Last edited:
Associate
Batman Begins / Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer / James Newton Howard
Batman Retuns - Danny Elfman
The Mission - Ennio Morricone
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Wojiech Kilar
The Piano - Michael Nyman

Man of Honour
Another vote for K Pax here.

Also check out the score to Plunkett & Macleane. Craig Armstrong is a legend.

I too love scores, I have loads of them. They can make a mediocre film better by helping to set the right mood.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Some good suggestions there chaps, thanks. :)

EDIT - zomg i'm listening to LOTR Two Towers - Evenstar. Makes me wants to go woo/ravage an elf maiden or something.

If you like that sort of thing I imagine you'd love the musical version of War of the Worlds.

Very atmospheric!

Hmm my mate keeps telling me to download that too...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom