I think i'm getting "into" movie soundtracks, help!

Soldato
I saw an orchestra play a selection of film music once. Gotta say I really enjoyed it! There is something sort of "larger than life" about the sound of an orchestra, it can be really special :)

Soldato
I saw an orchestra play a selection of film music once. Gotta say I really enjoyed it! There is something sort of "larger than life" about the sound of an orchestra, it can be really special :)

I was at a 'proms in the park' type thing and they did a film soundtrack session (full orchestra) with the likes of Star Wars, Superman and other John Williams - was actually very moving!:eek: I think it was also times to fireworks which really made it.

Also the Legoland Star Wars Fire Works Spectacular last bonfire night was an epic combination of Star Wars music and fireworks.

Caporegime
OP
Look for anything by X-Ray Dog. Not sure who or what it is, but my cousin gave me a CD with a load of music on it just like you are describing, some of it is AWESOME!

I love this kind of music.

Mate you're a legend, those are ****** awesome, especially the first one, truly epic! :D

*Gives squirrel a manly hug and pat on the back*

EDIT - Nooo not attainable by the general public, can't find them anywhere.

EDIT EDIT - Scratch that, my Google-Fu has prevailed.

Associate
ive got a nice collection too, I like

once upon a time in america (ennio morricone)
love dances with wolves too (and most john barry scores)
E.T. (ok, don't laugh, but it's my fav john williams score)
another shout for bladerunner :)
stargate (david arnold)
and 2001 blows my mind!

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Little Miss Sunshine
Juno
Motorcycle Diaries
Babel

Wes Anderson' films (Darjeeling Ltd; The Royal Tenenbaums; Life Aquatic)
Clint Mansell (Pi; The Fountain; The Wrestler; Requiem For A Dream)
Jon Murphy (Sunshine)
Hans Zimmer (Gladiator; Black Hawk Down)

Last edited:
Associate
300 - Tyler Bates (Absolutely amazing) Alexander - Vangelis, Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams and sound tracks from the HBO Series: Rome are ones I listen to quite regularly. Might not be your type of music though!

cje

cje

Associate
The last of the Mohicans soundtrack. Awesome. Promentory is a good song off that. Also, the Gladiator soundtrack is ace.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Wow I just cannot stop listening to the LOTR soundtracks... especially The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. I think it may be some of the most moving set of scores I have ever heard in my life, with particular favourites being:

----------------------------------------

Concerning Hobbits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1cTuUwZILg

This really gives you the impression of Hobbits capering around fields while drinking cider... such a light-hearted and beautiful melody, really kicking in at 00:30 and 1:34.

The Riders of Rohan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuyeYdQnI4

An evocative, stirring and haunting piece...really coming alive at 2:20 and invoking the same epic feel that the film scene gave you,

The King of The Golden Hall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_BKWttz18

A similar style to the above obviously, but a slow-burning development that really evokes images of the King awakening from his spell-induced haze, and then the wrath that ensued.

Evenstar:

An achingly beautiful piece of music... it almost allows you to get a sense of the depth of the emotion felt by Aragorn and Arwen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q

There are loads more, but those are ones I keep finding myself hitting "repeat on". It's like they are almost as powerful as the films in their own right, completely enthralling. Would I have liked them as much if they weren't LOTR... who knows... but i'm glad I found 'em anyway.

My ambition is now to see these played live in concert. Somehow.

EDIT - Seems that there is a concert in Luzerne, Switzerland at the end of this month... could be a definite win as that's only a stones throw from Zurich. Hmm...

Soldato
Most of Hans Zimmer's work is superb, not just the later stuff but early works like Paperhouse or K2. Brian Tyler (who did Bubba Ho-Tep score) has done some good stuff too. While the films might be naff, I also enjoyed the music to the MNS movies such as The Village & Lady In The Water (James Newton-Howard I think).

While I'm not a huge John Williams fan, the section of music in "Revenge Of The Sith" when the Jedi get slaughtered (spoiler apology) brings a tear to my eye, really poignant and moving.

My music tastes go right across the board from Power/Prog metal to trance but I've bought more than a few film scores in my time. Of course some work better out of context from the movie than others - remember buying Terminator 2 soundtrack when it came out and just made no sense away from the film.

Back
Top Bottom