Asus RT-N56U owners

Man of Honour
I haven't seen an owners thread for this router, and since it seems to get mentioned a lot, I thought a thread may prove useful to existing owners and anyone thinking about buying one.

I've had mine for a few months now, and one of the first things I did was to put the custom firmware on it found here. The reason I put this on is that I often need VPN access to home and having a VPN server on my router is much more ideal than having it on my PC. I must admit that at first I had a number of issues with the VPN server, but now with the latest release (which changes the menu system somewhat, definitely for the better, such as hotlinks for MAC address lookups for connected clients) it's rock solid.

I think the stock firmware has this new menu system as well since the one above is based on it, so if you haven't checked for an update recently, I'd recommend looking for one.

I couldn't comment, sorry, since I haven't used the OE firmware at all. I'm unsure what other benefits there are other than VPN server, though the notes on the page I linked might explain some more.

Does it allow you to specify more than one IP to add to an allow list? I currently have my PC set on my Netgear WNDR3700 to be allowed access to all keyword blocked sites but I'd also like to add my phone and tablet of course but the WNDR only allows adding one IP.

I'd also like better permissions control over the WNDR, such as mac address resolving to a host name or IP address as the "attached devices" section of the WNDR doesn't work most of the time.

Apart from that though, the WNDR has been faultless for going on ~2 years now.

Is this router any better than or equivalent to a WNDR3700? Only reason I ask is because I currently have a WNDR3700, which seems to be getting a bit flaky just recently. I seem to be having to reset it more often just recently as it just stops responding. May possibly be on its way out.

Is this router any better than or equivalent to a WNDR3700? Only reason I ask is because I currently have a WNDR3700, which seems to be getting a bit flaky just recently. I seem to be having to reset it more often just recently as it just stops responding. May possibly be on its way out.

Better in most cases.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...ng-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed?showall=&start=3
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...t-wireless-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=1

Good firmware but they took out QOS :(

I'm using RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p11 which i believe is the last firmware with QOS in.

i was reading up on it and it's just the interface that has been taken out, not QOS all together, you can still telnet in or something and change it (don't know much about that stuff), don't know what made them take it out though :confused:

Got one of these today but it seems to be slower at opening web pages than my older WNDR3700. More specifically when initially opening the browser, it takes 2 or 3 seconds before it resolves. The WNDR3700 is near enough instant. Am I missing some setting? Going to return it if I can't sort it.

Got one of these today but it seems to be slower at opening web pages than my older WNDR3700. More specifically when initially opening the browser, it takes 2 or 3 seconds before it resolves. The WNDR3700 is near enough instant. Am I missing some setting? Going to return it if I can't sort it.

Is the router set as the DNS server?

Try specifying 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server in Windows.

Think I've sorted it, just needed to tick "Use a proxy server for your LAN" under LAN settings in Chrome. Funny how it never caused an issue with the old router.

i was reading up on it and it's just the interface that has been taken out, not QOS all together, you can still telnet in or something and change it (don't know much about that stuff), don't know what made them take it out though :confused:

They left some kind of traffic control in but its really complicated.

Have a read of this if you want to know more clicky

I'm gonna stick with RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p11 as its rock solid and the qos works :)

They left some kind of traffic control in but its really complicated.

Have a read of this if you want to know more clicky

I'm gonna stick with RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p11 as its rock solid and the qos works :)

Latest firmware is fine, I have traffic control, I can prioritise by protocol or device :-/

I find mine lightning quick, just waiting for virgin to double me to really stretch its legs

Back
Top Bottom