Asus RT-N56U owners

Might sound daft but is it definitely set to update via an NTP server? If so and there's nothing obviously wrong, and provided there is no firmware update, try a factory reset.

Other than ensuring those 2 fields are populated, do I need to do anything else to have it update via NTP?

New firmware from the russian crew:
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006_newgui.zip

- Fixed large files (>2GB) support in vsftpd 2.3.5 (regression in ver. 1.1.2.2-005).
- Fixed Web GUI issues in AP mode (NewGUI).
- Fixed Web GUI issues under Mozilla Firefox browser (OldGUI).
- Fixed host names on Wake-On-Lan Web page (NewGUI).
- Fixed user input checking logic on Virtual Server Web page.
- Fixed user input checking logic for LAN IP address and mask.
- Fixed the Web GUI issue on switching Router -> AP mode.
- Fixed download settings and syslog under Safari browser.
- Fixed broken pre-route for the local VPN Server and Transmission when DMZ host is set.
- Hid ISP VLAN settings in VLAN-based firmware build, where they are temporary not functioning.
- Allowed wide range port selection for HTTP and SSH access from WAN.
- Added anonymous share modes for internal FTP server (vsftpd).
- Added "LED OFF" mode for green/yellow LEDs on PHY ports of Ethernet switch.
- Ability to disable ARP ping alive of remote gateway for "IPoE: Automatic IP" WAN mode.
I asked for a lights out mode as the router is in my bedroom, within a short while andy replied to say he had added LED Off options to the network ports.
Woo! :)

Last edited:
Out of interest, those with bt infinity and using this router, does the link speed show as 100mb? I would have though it would be 1000mb as with my parents virgin superhub (connected in modem mode)

Out of interest, those with bt infinity and using this router, does the link speed show as 100mb? I would have though it would be 1000mb as with my parents virgin superhub (connected in modem mode)

WAN port on the modem is probably 10/100.

Are you using the standard RT-N56U custom firmware VPN configuration? Does it connect? Is the IP not hidden by default?

I'm using the custom firmware. All I did was activate the VPN part, put in a username and password for two users, allocate the IP addresses and that was it. I can connect to the VPN fine, allowing me access to network devices when out and about but I'm still showing as on the public IP rather than my home IP.

I'm probably in the minority here but I've returned this router after being disappointed with the performance.

The wifi signal strength was no better than the super-hub (using R36) and throughput actually seemed slower. Manually assigning LAN IPs didn't work properly no matter how many times I tried, it wouldn't actually assign them. On top of that the thing got so hot I was worried it would break.

Overall a little disappointing for a premium product.

The WAN/modem mode for the Superhub is a bit of a cludge, it just bodges one of the 1Gig router ports into a WAN port, but this does mean it will (theoretically) offer that link speed.

FTTC is never going to offer 100mbit+ so it would be a complete waste of money giving the modem a 1gig WAN bridge - you aren't missing out on anything.

Back
Top Bottom