Asus RT-N56U owners

Are you using the standard RT-N56U custom firmware VPN configuration? Does it connect? Is the IP not hidden by default?

I'm using the custom firmware. All I did was activate the VPN part, put in a username and password for two users, allocate the IP addresses and that was it. I can connect to the VPN fine, allowing me access to network devices when out and about but I'm still showing as on the public IP rather than my home IP.

KIA, any idea on this? Not long back from Europe and missed this ability.

I'm feeling the need to play with my 56U here for one really odd fault/ 'Feature' it has developed...

I set it up in the UK at home on a BT Broadband connection to test it was working before taking it back here to Korea (it worked fine on BT) but now in Korea over wifi both my android phone and another in the house here (that has never been outside of Korea) seems to think it is in the UK at random times (changing the clock/google maps location/weather apps etc) I've tried deleting all the BT settings from the router but they just 'grey out' and you can't delete them, factory rest which doesn't do much, and re-uploaded the newest firmware to no effect either.

Even though I've changed the WAN option to 'Automatic' it still has these settings in the PPoe setting which it won't let me delete?
Mbamr.png

Plan was to go over it with an older firmware then newer again, BUT I'd like to turn off the LEDs at night so am hoping that option is in the custom firmwares as it's been mentioned here.

Yeah, so after all that, if I upload a custom firmware to it, is it dead easy to put it back to stock if I change my mind later?

Finally moved from my old virgin 20Mb connection (with rock steady stable modem I might add) to 60Mb with the "super" hub. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the really really bad wireless signal I got one of these routers and it's made a world of difference. Got full signal all over the house now, very chuffed with it.

I'm on the latest official firmware but thinking of trying out the custom one from above. What difference does it actually make? Is it worth making the change?

I purchased the RT-N56U last week which is currently connected to my Virgin Media Superhub which is running in 'Modem Mode'. The performance of the N56U has been fantastic, however I've got one small problem.

The N56U has got a USB HD plugged in which acts as a media server to the PS3 which is wired to the N56U.

Whenever the N56U is streaming a film to the PS3, the Internet on any WiFi connected devices crawls to an absolute halt, slower than dial up. If I stop the playback of the film on the PS3 the Internet is instantly restored to it's 100Mb glory instantly.

I'm at a loss as to why this might be happening, the streaming of an SD quality film over Ethernet shouldn't be having any affect on the Internet speed over WiFi, but it absolutely cripples it.

Any suggestions on the cause or settings changes which might fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

I'm feeling the need to play with my 56U here for one really odd fault/ 'Feature' it has developed...

I set it up in the UK at home on a BT Broadband connection to test it was working before taking it back here to Korea (it worked fine on BT) but now in Korea over wifi both my android phone and another in the house here (that has never been outside of Korea) seems to think it is in the UK at random times (changing the clock/google maps location/weather apps etc) I've tried deleting all the BT settings from the router but they just 'grey out' and you can't delete them, factory rest which doesn't do much, and re-uploaded the newest firmware to no effect either.
Don't think this has anything to do with the router as such. What will have happened is that while in the UK your phone or someone else walking past or a google car driving past has associated the MAC id (or whatever the equivelent wireless id) of your router with the location obtained by GPS of the phone/car which was then uploaded to googles location database.

Now, when your phone in Korea wants a location fix if GPS isn't enabled and available then as a fall back it will contact google saying "I can see this wifi access point - where am I?" and google will look up in its database and reply that if you are close to that access point then you must be in the UK.

You probably need to search for info on how to force an update of the location info. Qiuck search seems to indicate you need to enable GPS on your phone and get a fix while "in range" of your router and then allow sharing of location data with google and "over time" this will cause the location of the router in google database to be updated!

Don't think this has anything to do with the router as such. What will have happened is that while in the UK your phone or someone else walking past or a google car driving past has associated the MAC id (or whatever the equivelent wireless id) of your router with the location obtained by GPS of the phone/car which was then uploaded to googles location database.

Now, when your phone in Korea wants a location fix if GPS isn't enabled and available then as a fall back it will contact google saying "I can see this wifi access point - where am I?" and google will look up in its database and reply that if you are close to that access point then you must be in the UK.

You probably need to search for info on how to force an update of the location info. Qiuck search seems to indicate you need to enable GPS on your phone and get a fix while "in range" of your router and then allow sharing of location data with google and "over time" this will cause the location of the router in google database to be updated!

I can understand that on my phone, but the phone that never left Korea getting hassled as well, that is just weird!

I went for the Russian firmware in the end as I like the LED turn off feature, pretty basic stuff I know but I'm easily pleased. Can't turn off the wifi leds for full stealthmode though, and the power adapter has that pointless led in it as well.

Having seen the Gargoyle firmware for that other router as well makes me want the full on history/logging of bandwidth too. Would be good for analysis but then quite ott for a home network, I don't need the QOS stuff thankfully.

I can understand that on my phone, but the phone that never left Korea getting hassled as well, that is just weird!
No, its got nothing to do with where the phone has been. What happens is the phone needs to check its location to show a weather forecast etc. Primary source would be GPS if that was enabled ... if GPS isn't enabled it uses data it can "see" - i.e. ids of cell masts nearby and Wifi access points nearby - so it sends these ids to Google to lookup in their database to see if it knows where the mast/device with that id is. Since Wifi access point has much shorter range that network mast then it probably tries that first.

The way Google gets these ids is probably from networks for mast id/locations but if not and for wifi if I phone gets a GPS fix and "share location data with Google" is enabled then the phone will occasionally send a message to the database to say "I'm at this GPS location and I can see these masts/wifi devices" and overtime Google uses this to build a location for that mast/wifi device. Also, Google have cars driving around to pick up this info as well.

As your router spent time in the UK its very likely that the Google database will have a record associating its id with wherever you were in the UK .... hence when you Korean phone wants a location and asks Google where your router is Google will give a location in the UK.

Google for this issue and you'll find lots of people complaining that when they move home or buy a second hand router then their phones keep on locating to the wrong place. From what I read it seems if they get a number of location updates giving your router a location in Korea then eventually it will switch the location in the database ... but it may take some time because I assume the database has some built in hysterisis so that a few incorrect reports don't pollute the database.

Understood, I'd of assumed the Korean phone would have enough data to know where it is, but as you say only takes one check via wifi and the router thinking it's in the UK to show up and possibly keep showing up like that.

thought id ask on this thread instead of creating a new thread

can the 56u have the ability to block incoming ip addresses?

and does the 56u have VPN ? id like to connect to my home network now and again without getting the wife to turn my pc on and using logmein lol

The latest official firmware now has a VPN server built in. I've tested it from Windows and Android and it works fine

I'm not sure what you mean by blocking incoming IP addresses. It has a firewall and by default blocks any traffic that doesn't originate from within the network!

Is that because the router doesn't support bonding or something? For some other routers it is recommended that you run them with the same SSIDs

Last edited:
99% sure if you run them with the same SSID then windows will choose the stronger signal of the two

Have found that it doesn't work as well on phones though, sometimes my iPhone would choose the weaker signal rather than hoping onto the stronger one.

[edit]

Sorry am talking about between two different routers not different bands!

Back
Top Bottom