Asus RT-N56U owners

I bought this router last week from OCUK because i had FTTC installed yesterday (upgrade from broadband max).
Easy to configure and is very very fast.................even over wireless.
One very annoying thing i did find though is that Port 21 is shown as Closed, rather than Stealth when running a "Shields up" security test. Such a basic security flaw is almost unforgivable in my mind. Not much point being behind Nat and a firewall if a port is shown as closed on the Wan side.
The way around it is to enable port forwarding and forward Port 21 to an address you are not using, in my case 192.168.1.255. This then shows all ports as stealthed during the "Shields Up" security check.
Are any other users here showing Port 21 as closed ? It would be interesting to know.

I finally went for it.. My N56U has been running fine, but im a sucker for 3rd party firmwares. :) Everything seems to work fine, and I love the new GUI.

I bought this router last week from OCUK because i had FTTC installed yesterday (upgrade from broadband max).
Easy to configure and is very very fast.................even over wireless.
One very annoying thing i did find though is that Port 21 is shown as Closed, rather than Stealth when running a "Shields up" security test. Such a basic security flaw is almost unforgivable in my mind. Not much point being behind Nat and a firewall if a port is shown as closed on the Wan side.
The way around it is to enable port forwarding and forward Port 21 to an address you are not using, in my case 192.168.1.255. This then shows all ports as stealthed during the "Shields Up" security check.
Are any other users here showing Port 21 as closed ? It would be interesting to know.

If you go to the GUI and then advanced at the bottom then USB Share and then disable the FTP Share and any other sharing you don't want enabled then you should show port 21 as stealth.

I dont seem to get the correct system time on the 3rd party firmware.. The NTP server is set correctly.. anybody else having this problem?

Back
Top Bottom