• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080ti prices. Has everyone got a screw loose?

Soldato
Hilarious,oh noes! Someone offended you on the internet and has a different viewpoint from you. I like how plenty of others also said similar things too,but you have this little forum vendetta against me,since you cannot handle a different viewpoint.
Plus wow,now swearing and personal attacks too - this really must be working in your mind,that you bring up a totally different thread in an unrelated one.

I was just answering the question that tris asked. You and Cooper are upset because people are paying high prices and think that's killing PC gaming. Which you are.

And, I haven't made an opinion, I have just stated facts. PC gaming isn't dying, an 8800 GT is a die shrink of the 8800 GTX a year later and it's in no way comparable to the 1060 not been as good as the 980Ti.

Soldato
Mwahahahha.. behold the RGB monstrosity:
62zTvRX.jpg

Certainly not for everyone, but my last pc was a little grey brushed aluminium box, just wanted something more "fun" :)

+Sorry OP, last off topic I promise :)

Actually outside the RAM(which is spoiling the uniformity with the pink),its actually quite nice,and looks clean. My current case is getting on now,but is a black alu mini-ITX one,but with will probably be replaced next system rebuild.

Also good choice on the bourbon. Shame some of the stuff like Elijah Craig 12 year old has been reformulated! :(

Associate
Actually outside the RAM(which is spoiling the uniformity with the pink),its actually quite nice,and looks clean. My current case is getting on now,but is a black alu mini-ITX one,but with will probably be replaced next system rebuild.

Also good choice on the bourbon. Shame some of the stuff like Elijah Craig 12 year old has been reformulated! :(

I actually like the splash of neon pink, lovely looking system there!

Soldato
It’s kinda funny how heated GPU discussion is compared to any other bit of hardware.

Can’t imagine anyone criticising RAM choice or even CPU for the most part lol.

Whether the decision is conscious or unconscious, I think we’re all aware when we buy a Nvidia GPU, it doesn’t represent particularly good value for money.

Don’t get me wrong, the hobby alone is worth time and money and the occasional or frequent game is good. But in the context of enthusiast OCD and financial circumstance, Nvidia’s rinse and repeat BS doesn’t help anxiety one bit :p

Caporegime
62zTvRX.jpg

Certainly not for everyone, but my last pc was a little grey brushed aluminium box, just wanted something more "fun" :)

Nice job, actually. Pretty tasteful.

Mine is just a steal box but I like that^^ a lot more than the usual perspex windows that every case has.

e: Having said that I can see dust becoming your mortal enemy pretty soon :p

Associate
I've seen plenty of people complain about retailers price gouging and blaming it on crypto mining, but it seems pretty hypocritical if those same people saying this would do exactly the same thing given the opportunity. If you were selling a GPU, an about-to-be 2nd hand 1080Ti, to keep with the topic, who's honestly going to say they paid £650 for it a year ago, so i'll see if i can get £400 for it? You'll be looking at the £850-950 prices they're being sold for, and thinking you can genuinely get your money back in full - or £1k on fleabay... apparently :D Yet thats just being sensible, opportunistic, certainly not price gouging or anti-gamer. We somehow justify our decisions, everyone else is trash.

You sell things at the price the market can support, and frustratingly its being influenced by multiple factors which make it expensive if you're looking to buy.
Theres too many things driving the prices up: miners buying at sellers prices, OEMs not wanting to over-estimate their risk on 18mo hardware, production costs spiralling... the problem for the most part is that the intended audience simply cant justify it, some can and are, and miners clearly can. Everyone has to assess whether its value for money, and thats considerably easier for miners to do at whatever the price the market decides. If they can justify spending £2k on a 1080ti and profit - they have firm justification for doing so, their line in the sand is much clearer and right now that price is higher than most gamers are happy with.

Whats also interesting is that any implication this has on the future of PC gaming must surely be there for future consoles too, its not like they're immune from growing hardware costs, as prices are increasing across the board on key components.

FTR, Im stuck on a horrifically hot & noisy AMD 290x and would have been looking at buying an xx80 had prices followed their regular increments. In a bitter moment of irony, i was contemplating the 1080Ti's before xmas and couldnt buy because my money was in BTC and OCUK seem to have stopped accepting it and it took a while to move it around. The lifespan of the tech and its inevitable replacement was on my mind too, but seeing the price increases i've no idea what i'd need to spend in 3-4mo time when something better comes along. £630 for a Palit 1080. Whoopee.

Soldato
Gpu prices will likely never fall back down to previous levels. High demand, big fuss over prices. It's like petrol prices. They'll only go up massively and come down slightly.

Permabanned
62zTvRX.jpg

That was superb. What case/housing is that please.

Soldato
given the performance of an overclocked 980Ti I wouldn't buy a 1080Ti for more than £350 myself

Why not? I am thinking about doing this (EVGA 980Ti Classified > EVGA 1080 Ti) 1080 Ti looks to be about 1/3 faster than 980Ti overclocked so my guess is an overclocked 1080Ti will be maybe 35-40% faster

I'm hanging onto my overclocked 980TI for dear life, there is noway I'd upgrade from that in this current climate, it's just not worth it, even @ 3440x1440 with g-sync most things run fine for me.

I used to upgrade my GPU nearly every year but I just don't feel it's necessary these days, there aren't really a ton of hard to drive PC games coming out any more, and also I've realised you really don't need to have every game maxed out, you can trim a lot of settings in games to improve performance and not lose lot of image quality.

Back
Top Bottom