• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
What words did you consider random?

There are many articles out there on Ampere. What facts were you looking for? Ray tracing, video compression, machine learning, etc.?

Do you have a link to your Techspot article?
all of those marketing words you used and didn't back up. :rolleyes:

https://www.techspot.com/article/2151-nvidia-ampere-vs-amd-rdna2/#
they say different not more or less advanced, again please feel free to send me those hundreds of articles claiming ampere is more advanced. :p:D

ps your modern warfare frame rates at max settings did you happen to change the 'fraction of video memory usage to target' setting by any chance, genuinely curious here. its in a config file not in the gui.

Last edited:
No that was AMD that claimed they could do so in you can remember that far back.

Also Windows and games will use more if you give it more and even then some is cached.

Try it now, pop out a Module or two from your PC and keep eye on real Ram use and cached Ram then add it back in and do the same say over the course of 1 day each.

Last edited:
all of those marketing words you used and didn't back up. :rolleyes:

Tensor compression? All of these two words? Tensor compression as the name suggests is compression/decompression that is done via the Tensor cores.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2151-nvidia-ampere-vs-amd-rdna2/#
they say different not more or less advanced, again please feel free to send me those hundreds of articles claiming ampere is more advanced. :p:D

Maybe you are not understanding what you are reading. For example from the article you linked -

While this system does offer greater flexibility and removes the need to have portions of the die doing nothing when there's ray tracing workload, AMD's first implementation of this does have some drawbacks. The most notable of which is that the texture processors can only handle operations involving textures or ray-primitive intersections at any one time.

Given that Nvidia's RT Cores now operate fully independently of the rest of the SM, this would seem to give Ampere a distinct lead, compared to RNDA 2, when it comes to grinding through the acceleration structures and intersection tests required in ray tracing.

Now I read that as Nvidia have a more advanced and complete system in place, while AMD are more flexible. The performance also backs this up.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...pere-GA102-GPU-Architecture-Whitepaper-V1.pdf
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...c-ray-tracing-deep-dive-rx-6800xt-vs-rtx-3080
https://wccftech.com/4a-games-tech-...ue-for-rt-but-amds-approach-is-more-flexible/

I'd look for articles for you that compare DLSS to AMD's solution, but AMD don't have such a solution within RDNA2. Maybe RDNA3 will include CDNA cores, we will have to wait. Similar story with NVENC and NV Broadcast.

ps your modern warfare frame rates at max settings did you happen to change the 'fraction of video memory usage to target' setting by any chance, genuinely curious here. its in a config file not in the gui.

What are you talking about? I don't even own Modern Warfare. :rolleyes:

LOL I knew that statement on the announcement would trigger this thread. Well played AMD ...:rolleyes:... Waiting for Nvidia to now say something like their memory compression works better so uses less VRAM (VRAM compression on Nvidia is actually better).

Higher quality textures require more VRAM - more VRAM is always better.

Has anyone got an explanation why Nvidia did 10GB on a so high-end card?

Good to see the same old arguments again :D

And yet that whopping 24GB of VRAM isn't helping the rtx titan beat a measly 10GB VRAM on the 3080 in call of duty :o :p

:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yet that whopping 24GB of VRAM isn't helping the rtx titan beat a measly 10GB VRAM on the 3080 in call of duty :o :p

He didn't test the Cold War multiplayer, it's the multiplayer and war zone that scales vram - as matt mentioned not using max settings either, some settings in the Cold War test are on LOW and also DLSS is turned on, I.e the game is being run at 1440p with some setting on LOW, fantastic benchmarking :rolleyes:

Did you even watch that video? :p

He's not even using the High Quality Texture pack, nor is he even using maximum settings tbf. :o

Yup, sadly I can't see any youtube comparisons with the HD texture pack and in my experience, HD texture packs aren't that much better generally or/and more demanding anyway. That and probably cause it isn't really worth using anyway :p ;)

More COD black ops videos but again no HD texture pack comparisons about.

Yup, sadly I can't see any youtube comparisons with the HD texture pack and in my experience, HD texture packs aren't that much better generally or/and more demanding anyway. That and probably cause it isn't really worth using anyway :p ;)

More COD black ops videos but again no HD texture pack comparisons about.

It looks better with the texture pack.

It's not more demanding on FPS, just video memory utilisation.

It looks better with the texture pack.

It's not more demanding on FPS, just video memory utilisation.

It looks better on my 4k oled but it's not exactly jaw dropping difference (of course you have YouTube compression to factor in too) and looking at the comments, seems most think the same.

I really like the RTX Titan, I still have 2 of them and would much rather use them than a 3080.

I also own a couple of FE 3090s and side by side the Titan is far better looking and what a GPU should look like, ie not a house brick.

The Titan shows you can get 24gb and good performance in a small package.

wall of text
Pretty much in every way you said and you've picked 1 tiny part of the article, go back and read the rest of it and youl see right at they end the are pretty similar OVERALL, 1 is designed as a jack of all trades but master of none which is amphere and 1 is designed with pure gaming in mind rdna2, Maybe stop being so wrinkly and make less general sweeping statements.. we all make mistakes but amphere isn't more advanced in every way. :D;):rolleyes: none of the articles you linked say amphere as an architecture is more advanced than RDNA, Both have pros and cons however are fairly similar and equal. I know how the tech works no need for your condescending statements about compression.
Ps the cod quote was a mistake on my part quoting the wrong person.

Last edited:
If it's that easy to make a texture pack that blows out a vram buffer, who decides when enough is enough?

Do we just pick a number from a card we like and say "Texture packs will never use more than this amount."?

If more is always better, why stop at 16gb? -or 24gb? Make the textures more better-er!

I really like the RTX Titan, I still have 2 of them and would much rather use them than a 3080.

I also own a couple of FE 3090s and side by side the Titan is far better looking and what a GPU should look like, ie not a house brick.

The Titan shows you can get 24gb and good performance in a small package.

hmm dont about that.

RTX Titan looks a bit chav with its gold accents. Looks like trying to hard, on the other hand, FE just looks like the daddy.

And is imho, the best looking card Nvidia has ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom