• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It has become quite obvious that 10Gb is not enough for that tier of GPU. Some may disagree on this but when the manufacture decides to refresh their gpus to offer more then 10GB months before they release their next gen of gpus is a very telling sign that 10GB isn't enough. And that's on top of what was already discussed with titles at 4k, Texture Packs, etc.
It's nothing to do with the VRAM and all to do with the money, Nvidia want a bigger piece of the pie as the standard 3080 has an MSRP of £650 so the AIBs are getting the dies on the cheap and then doubling the cards price with most of that going into their pocket but now Nvidia says hang on a minute we'll have some of that so the add a few extra Cudas on and now the AIBs are paying Nvidia substantially more per die.

The extra VRAM is just their to differentiate the cards as the dies are practically the same as the 3080 10gb.

Soldato
I guess we could also say the same when the 3090ti arrives, they felt the 3090 wasn't cutting it for gamers.

But but the 3090ti is still 24GB like the 3090.. so VRAM is not a problem ....;)

You know I'm just teasing you.. I hope..

Reality is 10GB is enough for now at 4k and just a few games with mods or extreme texture packs will make the 10GB not enough, but all you do then is lower the resolution or game settings.

Also reality number 2 ... 10GB 3080 at £650 or 12GB 3080 at £1500 ... hummm. The 10GB was a great deal if not best deal of the year for any GPU from Nvidia or AMD. Then the 3060ti FE..

If I had the choice right now and could get a 3080 10GB for £650 I would be all over one and so would others. What I said above :-

It is exactly that.. they never wanted to give 3080 owners a GA102 chip so they nerfed it to lower cuda count and way lower VRAM than it should have been. The real 3080 was meant to be on GA104 the 3070 we have now and then the 3080 super was meant to be the 3070Ti with of course more vram than 8GB on them, they even nerfed the 3070's to 8GB for the same reason and guess what soon the real 3070ti with 16GB :rolleyes::cry:..

8GB VRAM is now 1080p highend Ultra level settings, 1440p medium to high.

10GB VRAM is now 1440p highend Ultra level settings, 4k medium to high.

This is for now next gen games you will need to lower settings or resolution.

I meant for now the card is a 4K card but in time it will become a 1440p card with next gen games, reality is the 10GB is like the bare minimum now for 4K new games, look at Doom 8GB cards run out of VRAM at 4K and performance tanks. Same will happen to the 10GB 3080 sooner than the 12GB or 24GB 3090.

Really these cards in the 3080 class should have come with 12GB as standard and the 3080Ti 16GB and 3090 24GB.. They have made the 3080Ti look like such a silly product now and not even really a Ti class card compared to the 12GB 3080... if I purchased a 3080ti and they did that I would be annoyed as hell.. The idea of the Ti is it's a halo product with halo specs.. now it's nothing more than a 3080 12GB with a few more cuda cores.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It has become quite obvious that 10Gb is not enough for that tier of GPU. Some may disagree on this but when the manufacture decides to refresh their gpus to offer more then 10GB months before they release their next gen of gpus is a very telling sign that 10GB isn't enough. And that's on top of what was already discussed with titles at 4k, Texture Packs, etc.

images

Not obvious as you are not able to address the points!! :cry::cry:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. Yea I am sure that is the reason Nvidia released the 12GB variant.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's nothing to do with the VRAM and all to do with the money, Nvidia want a bigger piece of the pie as the standard 3080 has an MSRP of £650 so the AIBs are getting the dies on the cheap and then doubling the cards price with most of that going into their pocket but now Nvidia says hang on a minute we'll have some of that so the add a few extra Cudas on and now the AIBs are paying Nvidia substantially more per die.

The extra VRAM is just their to differentiate the cards as the dies are practically the same as the 3080 10gb.

According to our new bestest debunker they are not!

Aside this, the 12GB version isn't just more VRAM , it has more GPU clusters, CUDA's, RT cores, Tensors, bus, bandwidth, TDP.

So...
I'm honestly really confused by all this.

+1

Permabanned
The 12GB 3080 is available as a full GA102 providing a 384bit bus supporting 12GB increments. The 10GB version is a cut down GA102 providing a cut down 320bit bus supporting 10GB increments.

How is it possible that at page 247 we still have 'people' who do not understand this?

Soldato
The 12GB 3080 is available as a full GA102 providing a 384bit bus supporting 12GB increments. The 10GB version is a cut down GA102 providing a cut down 320bit bus supporting 10GB increments.

How is it possible that at page 247 we still have 'people' who do not understand this?

So basically 10gb bad, 12gb good and leather jacket man get paid

Soldato
You can’t actually believe the nonsense you’ve just written surely?

Associate
The only reason a 12gb version has been released is so it can be pre scalped. No other reason, other than it breaks nvidia's heart to sell the 10gb card for £650.

Caporegime
But but the 3090ti is still 24GB like the 3090.. so VRAM is not a problem ....;)

You know I'm just teasing you.. I hope..

:D :D :D

As I said, people who don’t own the product love to comment on how bad it is. Mostly sour grapes I think.

No sour grapes here :p

PHazJ4Fh.jpg

:cry:

IIRC, I sold COD on for £20/25, amd 290 on for £90, vega 56 on for £225... no need to mine in order to get value from my measly 3080 10gb ;) :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom