• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just to follow up what I've read on Wolf 2 is that people are saying that to get "8k textures" you set "is_poolSize" in the config file, this is not texture resolution! It's the memory pool size in MB that the game will use to stream textures. I assumed when people say 8k and 16k textures that they literally mean the resolution of the textures themselves and was expecting a 300Gb texture pack or soemthing like that, but that's not what people are referring to? Not as far as I can see from the guides that are still active/online.

If that's what you changed to get "16k textures" to presumably a value of 16,384 then all you're doing is telling the engine to specifically reserve this much vRAM for texture streaming. It doesn't increase texture quality directly by increasing the resolution of the textures use but rather increases the memory pool size so the game has more space in vRAM to stream in the textures. The game uses texture streaming which means in certain areas the lower quality textures are painted initially onto surfaces and are then replaced by higher quality copies typically as you get near them, and the engine streams in/out of memory what it needs as you move through the level.

This is what I have referred to in the past with regards to change in paradigm for gaming and vRAM use. To basically get past the limitations of vRAM and start making games that have assets on disk which exceed vRAM one of the techniques is streaming assets in and out of the level. If you manually set the pool used to do that then the game will report that much being used. So...there's a couple of implications for this.

1) You're setting a game engine explicitly to use a memory pool of 16Gb and then saying hey the game uses 16Gb, 8Gb is no longer enough, TA-DAH! OK well I'll set it to use 32Gb and then 16Gb isn't enough, or 64 or 128 or get this hot take, any value we like then no amount of memory is enough. So that line of reasoning is just kinda dumb for obvious reasons.

2) We don't actually know what of that pool the game is actually using. MSI Afterburner will tell us the memory allocated to the game and then it will speculate about what the game really uses, but the way memory management is handled by the game engine will likely mean that when it sets up the texture pool it will count as that memory being "used" by the process and so it would appear to even Afterburner that the per process usage is 16Gb, or whatever you've set it too. You'd need game internal engine metrics which gives you greater insight into details of what that memory pool is doing specifically, what textures does it have inside it at any one time, what's the total actual use.

3) Even if the pool is genuinely filling up with the higher resolution textures when you set it to be bigger, it's likely not altering what is being displayed on screen when it's getting to 10Gb+ of usage. Typically with pools of memory like that you have rules for what goes into them (X texture is needed on an object coming into view, stream it in) and what comes out of the pool (we don't have enough room for this new X texture, is there any off screen textures we can safely remove from the pool?) And so by setting oversized pools manually you're just giving it more room to store old unnecessary textures, the whole point of the pool having a limited size in the first place is to keep vRAM requirements down while maintaining the same quality on screen. You don't want that pool being any bigger than it has to be otherwise you're just keeping around old assets you no longer need.

Associate
4 posts up, showing RDR2 at 4k Ultra asking for 11gb vram and cause he doesn't have it, it won't let him apply the ultra settings

I'm calling BS on this quite frankly. The game menu is preventing that based on presumably an estimate of vRAM usage, and estimate gathered somehow, as others have said people have been playing this 4k maxed out in other places with screenshots of much less memory use and that's even memory allocated not even memory used. What we need is someone with a larger amount of vRAM on a Titan or 3090 to test this, set those same settings then load up the game with the new Afterburner beta and then look at the per process memory used. I'd be willing to bet it's not 11Gb or whatever the menu says. We know devs mess this up all the time you only need look at Resi Evil 3 remake to see how stupidly wrong this menu estimate can be.

Permabanned
Of course there are games that needs more than 10GB from what I have seen.

Red Dead Redemption 2 refused to run at 4K maximum graphics settings on RTX 2080 8GB as it need 11GB so it will also refused to run on RTX 3080 10GB too.

aeiO2Ye.png

I tried to run Wolfenstein 2 but it crashed before reached main menu.

CEYJogH.jpg

Ran it again to take screenshot splash screen worked fine.

lU3yFGB.png

I spend 2 days figured out why Wolfenstein crashed found RTSS was caused it, I used latest MSI Afterburner and RTSS beta version and found the solution surprised RTSS hated Wolfenstein 2's Motion Blur and I turned it off exited the game then launched MSI Afterburner and Wolfenstein 2 finally ran without crashed. Strange!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1643164649203403634/

Wolfenstein 2 at 1440p and 4K with graphics maxed out excepted Motion Blur & used 16K textures used 20.4GB total GPU memory (7882MB GPU dedicated memory and 12616MB GPU shared memory). Tried to take screenshot with MSI Afterburner hotkey but ended up with black screenshot so I take a picture on my phone instead.

DqBpbwp.jpg

I am concern 10GB is not enough with next gen games used DirectStorage/RTX I/O will not able to access system RAM for GPU memory shared so it will completely bypass CPU and system RAM and GPU will have direct access to SSD. If games modders will able to use DirectStorage/RTX I/O in current modded games with HD textures such as GTA V, Skyrim etc will need 20GB VRAM mean it will no longer use system RAM as shared GPU memory.

Looks as though you are trying to use settings that the 3090 could not make playable.

Is using ~6.5GB of VRAM and only managing ~55FPS.

This has been said many times by myself already and by others in this thread. 10GB appears to be enough for a 3080 as the GPU will grind to a halt before you need more.

edit... Bit late on my reply, should have refreshed 1st. I see others saying the same thing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm calling BS on this quite frankly. The game menu is preventing that based on presumably an estimate of vRAM usage, and estimate gathered somehow, as others have said people have been playing this 4k maxed out in other places with screenshots of much less memory use and that's even memory allocated not even memory used. What we need is someone with a larger amount of vRAM on a Titan or 3090 to test this, set those same settings then load up the game with the new Afterburner beta and then look at the per process memory used. I'd be willing to bet it's not 11Gb or whatever the menu says. We know devs mess this up all the time you only need look at Resi Evil 3 remake to see how stupidly wrong this menu estimate can be.
Yeah, to me this seems like a developer-imposed limit and not an actual VRAM limit problem.

That's why I'd like to see someone else confirm it, as review sites ran RDR2 fine with 3080's. It's a 2 year old game FFS.

Caporegime
He is trying to sound intellectual but unfortunately using this specific attempt in the wrong context, by comparing something that has a valid basis for discussion, with a conspiracy theory that has absolutely zero basis in our scientific reality.

Unfortunately, the harder someone tries, the more insecure they appear and the harder they fail. :(

Associate
He is trying to sound intellectual but unfortunately using this specific attempt in the wrong context, by comparing something that has a valid basis for discussion, with a conspiracy theory that has absolutely zero basis in our scientific reality.

Unfortunately, the harder someone tries, the more insecure they appear and the harder they fail. :(

Well whatever I did, it certainly was an attempt.

Actually what I was aiming for is that length of discussion about something doesn't validate the topic of the discussion as an "issue". I really only felt like I had 2 options with that, which was call this reasoning out as blatantly stupid, or be less mean and make a joke about it, and I was trying to play nice, so picked the latter.

Associate
Of course there are games that needs more than 10GB from what I have seen.

Red Dead Redemption 2 refused to run at 4K maximum graphics settings on RTX 2080 8GB as it need 11GB so it will also refused to run on RTX 3080 10GB too.

aeiO2Ye.png

I tried to run Wolfenstein 2 but it crashed before reached main menu.

CEYJogH.jpg

Ran it again to take screenshot splash screen worked fine.

lU3yFGB.png

I spend 2 days figured out why Wolfenstein crashed found RTSS was caused it, I used latest MSI Afterburner and RTSS beta version and found the solution surprised RTSS hated Wolfenstein 2's Motion Blur and I turned it off exited the game then launched MSI Afterburner and Wolfenstein 2 finally ran without crashed. Strange!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1643164649203403634/

Wolfenstein 2 at 1440p and 4K with graphics maxed out excepted Motion Blur & used 16K textures used 20.4GB total GPU memory (7882MB GPU dedicated memory and 12616MB GPU shared memory). Tried to take screenshot with MSI Afterburner hotkey but ended up with black screenshot so I take a picture on my phone instead.

DqBpbwp.jpg

I am concern 10GB is not enough with next gen games used DirectStorage/RTX I/O will not able to access system RAM for GPU memory shared so it will completely bypass CPU and system RAM and GPU will have direct access to SSD. If games modders will able to use DirectStorage/RTX I/O in current modded games with HD textures such as GTA V, Skyrim etc will need 20GB VRAM mean it will no longer use system RAM as shared GPU memory.

3080 has 10gb..and it still allocating over 10gb in RDR2...yet this guy runs RDR2 max settings @4k on a 3080 on an i7 7700k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_iIza1SM0&t=187s

Associate
3080 has 10gb..and it still allocating over 10gb in RDR2...yet this guy runs RDR2 max settings @4k on a 3080 on an i7 7700k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_iIza1SM0&t=187s
Sorry to break it to you, but that is System RAM, not GPU RAM. The guy recording doesn't have the GPU RAM showing, it's an extra option, displays as VRAM and is Orange, not Blue. See this video posted above for an example:

Associate
Sorry to break it to you, but that is System RAM, not GPU RAM. The guy recording doesn't have the GPU RAM showing, it's an extra option, displays as VRAM and is Orange, not Blue. See this video posted above for an example:

you're not breaking anything to me.lol I was showing a video prooving otherwise about rdr2 not running on a 3080. and i was reffering to the game menu, as its still going over 10gb which I still dont understand. since the 3080 is limited to 10gb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom