• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seeing as most folk (>90% according to steam hardware survey) PC game at 1080p - then a 4 year old GPU will do you just fine. 3080 & 6800XT upwards are for UW & 4k. Or maybe something odd like WQHD @ 240 hz

Exactly, so why not buy a 4 year old GPU and save some cash? I dont understand why you'd buy a high end GPU during release and then keep it 4 years.

I think I'm missing your point.

As an owner of a GPU that is nearly 4 years old, buying a 4 year old GPU would just leave me exactly where I am now? Not buying a GPU at all seems the better course.

On the other hand, I could buy a current top end GPU and keep that for another 4-5 years.

Yeah but if you bought a 4 year old GPU this year, it would be half price. Same performace for half price. That was my point. Obviously you cant this year because the shortage caused prices to shoot up but my point applies to people who bought the 680, 780 Ti, 1080 Ti etc and kept them for several generations.

It makes more sense for a high end gamer to upgrade EVERY generation in my opinion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing as most folk (>90% according to steam hardware survey) PC game at 1080p - then a 4 year old GPU will do you just fine. 3080 & 6800XT upwards are for UW & 4k. Or maybe something odd like WQHD @ 240 hz

AU Optronics is currently working on a DisplayPort 2.0 4k 240hz panels

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
@Th0nt You should sell you 3090 in about 1 years time for £1199 on members market. Then either get a 4080 which will no doubt be better and pocket the rest, or add a few more quid and get a 4090 if you cannot stomach less than 24GB VRAM ;)

Is this the mugs edition that people shouted about being a mug, then a handful of souls begrudgingly/reluctantly with tails between their legs bought one after the bitching some months later as it transpired to not be such a rip off after all?

I wont mention that in those months of scorning swiping posts it took for these people to get onboard that the 3090 paid for itself by month eight mining whilst I was working/sleeping. Oops. Oof.

In answer to your question @TNA I will have no issue selling on to make way for a better gen item, I wont lie and say I have used all the VRAM or done much project work that uses it. In two months time I will have had it a year.. how time flies! :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is this the mugs edition that people shouted about being a mug, then a handful of souls begrudgingly/reluctantly with tails between their legs bought one after the bitching some months later as it transpired to not be such a rip off after all?

I wont mention that in those months of scorning swiping posts it took for these people to get onboard that the 3090 paid for itself by month eight mining whilst I was working/sleeping. Oops. Oof.

In answer to your question @TNA I will have no issue selling on to make way for a better gen item, I wont lie and say I have used all the VRAM or done much project work that uses it. In two months time I will have had it a year.. how time flies! :p
Indeed, time does fly man. Older I get, the quicker it seems to go by.

Even if you do not sell it, you will have a mid to high end GPU for next gen, it will just have loads of vram. But you will be in a situation where you would love to trade some of that vram for superior rt performance that will come next gen cards.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Even if you do not sell it, you will have a mid to high end GPU for next gen, it will just have loads of vram. But you will be in a situation where you would love to trade some of that vram for superior rt performance that will come next gen cards.

It was not really a planned purchase, it was also a heavy heart having to part with such cash. Ideally the 3080 was what the best buy at the time was, but they were mythical and anyone to get one before xmas was lucky. My man made luck was being a seasoned miner having such a monster card meant it was going to pay off that markup - and very quickly considering.

It was around the time threads were spawning of getting a 3080Ti and how the 3090 owners were dumb that (for me) the money aspect went away because whether you got a 3080 or 3090 last year, it didnt really cost you anything if you were happy enough to put it to use!

The games and cards spec/performance will dictate what I do in 2022. I am in no rush anyhow as a 3090 will cut it for a while yet especially if you can use DLSS in them games for sure! :)

Soldato
OP
Once you've 'seen'/exerienced high refresh coupled with high FPS AND now with VRR. 70fps with VRR on will make the panel refresh at 70hz, so sticks out a mile. One of the biggest visual upgrades is a high refresh panel.

If you have VRR and your fps is 70 then your refresh rate will be 70 - so will stick out a mile. I take it your previous 2 panels were lower resolution?

With your games and a 4k panel, do you go into gfx options and whack everything up to max or select the ultra option for all?
First 1080p 120hz, second 1440p 165hz, now 4k 144/160hz. I usually leave everything on highest or close to, but yeah I can see how I'd need to lower some settings if wanting more fps. At least at the moment that's really the only option anyway.

Soldato
First 1080p 120hz, second 1440p 165hz, now 4k 144/160hz. I usually leave everything on highest or close to, but yeah I can see how I'd need to lower some settings if wanting more fps. At least at the moment that's really the only option anyway.

Ah right, well now you are on 4k you can turn off some settings that are designed to enhance lower resolutions and I wouldn't use presets anymore at 4k.

Try lowering AA, depending on which type the game uses you can turn it off, try MFAA from Nvidia control panel or FXAA in games that support it as it's good at high resolutions but awful at 1080p. Turn post processing down to low/off. Motion blur - off. Hairworks -off. SSAO instead of HBAO. Then move to lowering shader quality like shadows etc. So bringing your minimums up to 100fps. Depends on the game and what it uses and what looks best.

Try lowering a few ultra textures down to high as you can only notice the difference by studying screenshots and not whilst gaming. MUch less noticeable anyway than having fps down towards 60 fps as the monitor will refresh at the fps with VRR.

Also try DX11 instead of 12. It's all about trying various options and fettling - particularly for games you play a lot.

For very demanding games - try DLSS 2.0 or FSR. Some implementations work well at high resolutions.

Soldato
AU Optronics is currently working on a DisplayPort 2.0 4k 240hz panels

I did see that somewhere. Whilst 4k 120hz requires some gfx option fettling, 240hz! well it'd be nice n all but cant see anything powering that for a while. :D 4k at 240fps! Maybe CS:GO.

I've never seen more than 144hz panels - can you tell the difference between 144hz and 240hz?

I always think of this experiment Linus did regarding very high refresh monitors. The jump to 120hz + from 60 makes a big difference. Refreshes higher than that, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

GAming online from home and whether you hit something or not will more come down to the pings of players in the server (Please bring back 60, 90, 120hz servers like in BF4 and set ping limits!)

Soldato
I did see that somewhere. Whilst 4k 120hz requires some gfx option fettling, 240hz! well it'd be nice n all but cant see anything powering that for a while. :D 4k at 240fps! Maybe CS:GO.

I've never seen more than 144hz panels - can you tell the difference between 144hz and 240hz?

I always think of this experiment Linus did regarding very high refresh monitors. The jump to 120hz + from 60 makes a big difference. Refreshes higher than that, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

GAming online from home and whether you hit something or not will more come down to the pings of players in the server (Please bring back 60, 90, 120hz servers like in BF4 and set ping limits!)

Won't stop people trying until we've got a 960hz 1080p monitor maybe then they'll stop increasing refresh rate. Then again we now have mice that poll at 8000hz when anything over 500hz is completely unnoticeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom