• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12900k / z690: tech lust!

Soldato
It's not even been announced by Intel to suggest when pre-orders etc go live

Go sleep :D

5pm

Intel-Alder-Lake-Embargo.jpg

Soldato
yes it`s called ripping of customers when they want to upgrade.

Well they have to sell all them chipset chips that all their motherboards need somehow and the only way to make sure to do that is also change the socket at the same time, it was even proven on some generations the chipset and motherboards were fine for the newer cpus, because some people made adapters for the cpus to fit in the older sockets and guess what the cpus worked. Sure they have made sure that can't happen anymore too.

This gen does need a new chipset as it is ddr5 and Pcie 5.. so reality this time yes the new socket is needed and chipset. Before humm...

Associate
Well they have to sell all them chipset chips that all their motherboards need somehow and the only way to make sure to do that is also change the socket at the same time, it was even proven on some generations the chipset and motherboards were fine for the newer cpus, because some people made adapters for the cpus to fit in the older sockets and guess what the cpus worked. Sure they have made sure that can't happen anymore too.

This gen does need a new chipset as it is ddr5 and Pcie 5.. so reality this time yes the new socket is needed and chipset. Before humm...

I will give intel the benefit of doubt this time due to the new ddr5 memory but this new sockets life will be short

Soldato
I will give intel the benefit of doubt this time due to the new ddr5 memory but this new sockets life will be short

Also something to remember with these new motherboards for these cpus, is they come in two forms DDR4 only boards or DDR5, so if you buy a DDR4 version and later decide to buy DDR5 well you need to buy a new motherboard all over again with DDR5 supported slots.

Associate
Also something to remember with these new motherboards for these cpus, is they come in two forms DDR4 only boards or DDR5, so if you buy a DDR4 version and later decide to buy DDR5 well you need to buy a new motherboard all over again with DDR5 supported slots.

exactly it is a wait and see game.

Associate
Yup.. lets see what they come out with, still not a fan of these smaller cores on a desktop CPU, for laptops yes but desktops humm... Also the 330w power use is worrying too from the rumours of course, we need to see the real reviews.
the high wattage is just a little to much but i am sure intel will say it is only half that in the spec`s

V F

V F

Soldato

Imagine getting stung by that.

Soldato
I'm so very tempted to try the CPU pad mod and custom BIOS to run a 9900K at full 8c/16t in my Z170 Maximus VIII Impact. Plenty of instances of running the 8700K/8086K at full chat in Z170 boards too.

But I digress...

Do you have a link for the pad mod? I’ve got a couple X170/X150 boards.

Associate
Just pre-ordered my 12900K, Asus Rog Maximus Hero Mobo and 32GB of Dominator RGB DDR5 on OCUK. Am I the only one or am I in the wrong thread/subforum?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking at the prices of DDR5 for 32GB and thinking... 64GB has to be over £600.

Yeah, those 2 remaining Dimm slots can remain empty until either I buy some Dummy RGB Dimms to fill them out or I find that I'm taking a big hit if I'm not Dual Ranked with this Ram on Z690 and I wait till my finances recover to buy another 32GB

That said, I pre-ordered to 'Bank'. I may well cancel depending on reviews.

Soldato
Do you have a link for the pad mod? I’ve got a couple X170/X150 boards.
There's a lot to go through, but it started at running 8th gen on 100 and 200 series boards
https://www.win-raid.com/t3413f16-GUIDE-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-on-Skylake-and-Kaby-Lake-motherboards.html

The thread covers 9th gen about half way through.

In a nutshell, you need a custom BIOS and BIOS loader to set the board up (flashback won't work), then on a 9th gen CPU you short 2 pads and mask off 2 pads. It's a major faff, but the last time I hit up the thread (and others like it), there were 9900K users running 8c/16t AND overclocking on Asus Maximus VIII boards.

Back
Top Bottom