13 year old car has 8 MOT faliures

Man of Honour
Find something else. There's no point checking the MOT history, getting concerned about it but then convincing yourself to buy the car anyway. You've done the right thing by looking into the history, pat yourself on the back for doing some research and avoiding a poorly maintained car, and move on to the next one.

Soldato
Why bother going to see it? It's clearly a turd, poorly maintained (MOT history is not service history btw), accident damage to the rear axle. Forget about this car.

Soldato
The problem here is that cars get faults, especially old ones. The owner simply didn't repair them before MOT.

I'd be more worried about the car having a careless owner though and not servicing the car. A service should have fixed these faults before MOT. Although I know some places do it the other way around.

I know a lot of people that solely rely on MOT/Service (usually at the same time) for all maintenance. I wouldn't necessarily call their cars poorly maintained.

Soldato
Hondas are very reliable cars.
They shouldn’t fail MOTs

The downside with Japanese cars is that the corrosion protection isn’t as good (usually) as German cars.

So a neglected 13 year old Civic is a no no on all accounts.

Soldato
Hondas are very reliable cars.
They shouldn’t fail MOTs

The downside with Japanese cars is that the corrosion protection isn’t as good (usually) as German cars.

So a neglected 13 year old Civic is a no no on all accounts.

Lol.

Do they have tires, brakes, bulbs and wiper blades that last forever?

Soldato
Yes.
It’s called care and maintenance
If these basic items have been neglected walk away.

The owner is doing due care and maintenance once a year like the majority of the UK population.

In this case the problem is the garage isn't fixing them before the MOT like a lot will do.

A lot of Hondas fail MOTs they aren't significantly more immune.

Soldato
The owner is doing due care and maintenance once a year like the majority of the UK population.

In this case the problem is the garage isn't fixing them before the MOT like a lot will do.

Well buy a car that has been looked after then.
No one is holding a gun to his head.

This is the challenge and skill in buying second hand, especially at the lower end of the market.

Back
Top Bottom