13 year old car has 8 MOT faliures

Associate
From a conversation I had on YT recently on similar subject (someone else's comment not mine):

I know a similar situation - where the dad was one of those always in the first instance, even if there is signs of a problem, "nah its fine just garage trying to make money off you" types unless something is literally hanging off fortunately in that case no one died.

lets work that the other way around as a dad ive often told my daughter she needs this or the other repairing or replacing and most times she either hasnt enough money or time to sort it often saying she will get it done....ive now taken to going and fetching the vehicle from her and getting stuff repaired just for my own peace of mind . in fairness she has got better of late , but i still have parts here waiting to be fitted that were advised on last mot....... thankfully not safety related.

Associate
I've been a tester for 7 or 8 years now. What people present for an mot is shocking. Joe public do not give a toss about their car. To them it's a white good, it gets used and used, that's it. Most people couldn't tell you if they had a headlight out from driving.

correct:) most people only do the repairs when it fails mot. i found regular car servicing seemed to vanish a few years ago , now to most folk it if it breaks ,fix it or wait for mot. have a look around your local supermarket car park and you will see the condition of some motors.

Man of Honour
Glad for you but you have let Motors down :(

You mean OP won't turn up as the Peugeot in this video https://youtu.be/05OJqKGOiP8?t=33 ? (the MOT history is eye watering SD52 NKU)

(Not that it was the main contributing factor but it pretty much removed any chance of recovering from that).

EDIT: Just a little taste of the fails and advisories:

Offside Upper Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear into compensator (3.6.B.2c)
Offside Lower Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear into compensator (3.6.B.2c)
Brake load sensing valve seized (3.6.E.3)

Offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Rear Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Rear Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)

Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)

Advisory notice item(s)

Rear Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)

Nearside Front Side repeater incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
Offside Outer Front Lower Ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)
Offside Outer Front Lower Ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
brake service

Nearside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous

Advisory notice item(s)

offside rear tyre sidewall deterorating

Nearside Front Side repeater incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
Offside Front Side repeater incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Rear Brake load sensing valve linkage seized (3.6.E.3) Dangerous
Offside front brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a) Dangerous
Nearside Rear rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
Nearside Rear rear brake grabbing severely (3.7.A.5b) Dangerous
Nearside Rear rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
Offside Outer Front Lower Ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)
Offside Rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bearing (2.4.G.2) Dangerous
Offside Rear Tyre fouling a part of the vehicle (4.1.D.2) Dangerous
Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)

Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
brake overhaul

Associate
ohh and its not just reserved for private owners when i bought my last honda it failed before i had it on front discs corroded, the garage changed the discs.....you guessed it didnt bother with the worn pads lo first thing i did was new pads and also rear discs :) everything is cut to the bone nowadays.

Man of Honour
everything is cut to the bone nowadays.

What gets me is when people do the minimum to get through the next MOT and leaving it to chance even when something is blatantly dangerous or going to become so if not remedied properly.

MOT advisories and even fails are going to happen on stuff that is maintained properly but when there is a trail that points squarely at problems persistently not being remedied properly it is another matter.

Permabanned
What gets me is when people do the minimum to get through the next MOT and leaving it to chance even when something is blatantly dangerous or going to become so if not remedied properly.

MOT advisories and even fails are going to happen on stuff that is maintained properly but when there is a trail that points squarely at problems persistently not being remedied properly it is another matter.

I guess they can't afford to do all the repairs

Man of Honour
I guess they can't afford to do all the repairs

For some it will be an issue but many begrudge spending a penny even when gambling safety wise. Probably cost me about 3 grand rectifying that on my truck from the previous owners and I've still not got to some non-critical stuff they've bodged to pass the MOT (i.e. drivers side mirror didn't have "friendly" lights reconnected after it was replaced).

Soldato
You mean OP won't turn up as the Peugeot in this video https://youtu.be/05OJqKGOiP8?t=33 ? (the MOT history is eye watering SD52 NKU)

(Not that it was the main contributing factor but it pretty much removed any chance of recovering from that).

EDIT: Just a little taste of the fails and advisories:

Probvably why they lost control of it so easily lol. Dodgy brakes, dodgy suspension parts.

Associate
OP
Car I bought was a Honda CIVIC SI, managed to get £2.4K in the end because there's a fair bit of cosmetic damage to the bumper= and left wheel arch but everything works fine. Glad I bought it. Lovely colour, leather inside is pretty good condition,
drives very smoothly.

One thing though - though it doesnt worry me as much as it initally did. We test drove it, fine. halfway throught the way home, whenever we changed into second gear, it would grind. yet when i took it for a few drives later that day, it was fine, barring a couple of times, so I'm thinking it's probably me doing something wrong.

The clutch was replaced a couple of weeks ago for £550, has a 2 year warranty for the garage it was service at. guy bouight it off his cousin and so history is pretty good

Back
Top Bottom