• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Ste

Ste

Soldato
No you should get whatever you can out of it whilst keeping temps under 80 during stress :)

205x22 with 2-3 bumps on vcore

Soldato
Thanks Ste, don't really want to push it higher. Stress test one core hit 68, rest around 60. Feel as though that's as far as I'm willing to go on this chip on air cooling.

Wondering if it's worth getting an x5680 with the higher multi, as I'm guessing I could run lower vcore for similar power. Managed 10.98 on cinebench this morning though with a couple of tweaks.
It will do 23x but on 1-2 cores only, assuming you have turbo boost enabled. On some boards you must have turbo boost enabled or C-states disabled to even get higher than 20x.

Associate
I don't think I can have turbo enabled on my board, I'm running a P6T Deluxe V2, but after your help I've crossflashed the BIOS so it now thinks it's a P6T WS Pro. C-states are disabled, but the turbo option has gone now the CPU settings are all set to manual. I suppose I should just stick with this CPU, as an x5680 or x5690 could be a pointless side-grade if the chip happens to be a Friday afternoon post lunchtime beers special!

Soldato
I don't think I can have turbo enabled on my board, I'm running a P6T Deluxe V2, but after your help I've crossflashed the BIOS so it now thinks it's a P6T WS Pro. C-states are disabled, but the turbo option has gone now the CPU settings are all set to manual. I suppose I should just stick with this CPU, as an x5680 or x5690 could be a pointless side-grade if the chip happens to be a Friday afternoon post lunchtime beers special!
Yeah turbo isn't a thing if you disable C-states and manually set the CPU multiplier. Annoyingly, if you enable C-states, it won't allow you go above 20x without turbo enabled, and it won't allow you set 21x, 22x, or 23x manually either.

Associate
That's a bit of a PITA then, I'm guessing this is a limitation on our boards? Really I should just be happy with my OC and stop messing around with it, it's clearly punching way above its weight and will easily keep pace with my 1070ti.

Soldato
That's a bit of a PITA then, I'm guessing this is a limitation on our boards? Really I should just be happy with my OC and stop messing around with it, it's clearly punching way above its weight and will easily keep pace with my 1070ti.
Yes, it might be all Asus X58 boards that behave this way. I'd personally rather lose ~200 MHz when all cores are loaded than disable C-states since these things suck a lot of power, but the option is there if wanted (as you've done).

Associate
I'm not even sure what c-states does, I just disabled it based on other users clocking setups, noticed a fair few people also switch of HT, but I wasn't willing to make that concession as I want it using up every available resource when I'm playing pube-g... as it hammers the system at the best of times! I take it you'd advise turning c-states back on then?

I've turned speed step back on though, so it idles with a x12 multi when it's not under duress, so it sits around 2.3ghz from memory.

Soldato
Depends how much you care about power consumption. C-states allows the cores to drop to low-power states when not being used. I am not sure which of C-states and SpeedStep has the greater effect on power consumption though.

People used to disable HyperThreading because nothing used 8 cores in 2008 (particularly games) and disabling it helped reduce temperatures significantly when people were pushing the 45 nm Bloomfield chips. Disabling HyperThreading on the 32 nm Westmere-EP chips is pointless since they don't run as hot and in 2017 the extra threads are actually useful.

Associate
Aah okay, that's great to know, I'll probably leave that off then and just run with the x12 multi in idle or low load situations in that case, as it sounds like it's doing a similar thing. I did notice in x12 multi that the vcore would drop down a fair chunk.

HT definitely wants to remain on then, as Pubg uses all cores and threads when I look at the Trigone remote monitor. Speaking of HW monitors, is there anything software wise which will tell me the VRM and NB/SB temps specifically? Would be handy to know, as I've got these expensive as 'F' Enzoteck forged copper heatsinks, which I'm assuming are doing a better job than the standard alloy and copper heatpipe setup, but would be nice to know for certain.

Soldato
Speaking of HW monitors, is there anything software wise which will tell me the VRM and NB/SB temps specifically? Would be handy to know, as I've got these expensive as 'F' Enzoteck forged copper heatsinks, which I'm assuming are doing a better job than the standard alloy and copper heatpipe setup, but would be nice to know for certain.
Honestly not sure. I use HWInfo these days and I don't think it shows much in terms of temperatures or power usage for this motherboard. More modern motherboards tend to provide more detailed information.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
If I could get an x5680 running with a x25 multi on BCLK 196 thats nearly 5ghz
I'd be stoked with a result like that!

That is not going to happen! I don't believe the processor or the motherboard will handle a speed like that... it is not simply a case of running a "sensible" BCLK and then any multi will work.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
1.45v id be happy with if temps were sensible ie under 80 at stress. Intel spec on these was 1.35v with 1.4v max recommended. I’d do it because it’s fun and the CPU was 20 quid!!

To be honest if mine hadn’t hit 80s at 4.5 I’d have gone further. There was one in this thread who beat me with 4.6 and then externally a few pushing 4.7 at 1.5v on water.

Associate
Well, tried a BCLK of 210 and x22 multi and it boots at 1.42v, but then blue screened after a short stress test, so upped voltage again to 1.44ish and seems stable running at just over 4.6ghz... not sure if I leave it like this though or back it down. Getting 11.3 on cinebench R11.5 though which seems okay.

Associate
I only paid £20 for the CPU, so don't mind killing it if that's the end result. I just thought I may as well push it to the max and see what it can do. I'll more than likely back it down to 4.4ghz again as performance increase wasn't substantial enough for me to justify keeping it at that voltage. I can get 4.4ghz at 1.4v or 4.0ghz at 1.28125v

Back
Top Bottom