• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
I think for the extra voltage I'm wondering if it's actually worth it? I did push it to 4.8ghz last night and it booted into windows and ran a cinebench pass no issues and did a quick CPU-Z load test, but ran out of time to do anymore stress testing, so it's back down at 4.4ghz again for the time being. Temps at 4.8 were pushing mid/high 70's though. Likely be 15-20 degrees less gaming based on previous testing, but seemed a little extreme. Still have speed step enabled though so it's not burning up electric in idle.

Associate
I suspect there might be an issue with my RAM. I got a "rounding 0.5 expected 0.4" error 20 minutes into a Prime95 blend test without overclocking the memory at all. I googled the error and things point towards the RAM. I've reversed everything back to stock and have blend test running with custom settings - 8.5GB tested. My ram is as follows 3x2GB 2000MHz and 1X4GB 1600Mhz.

I think it is the RAM that's the issue because prior to that I ran my 4.2GHz overclock in the small ftt test (CPU only test in Prime95) to test for max heat and stability and it survived the 20 or so mins without any issue or hiccup.

The current blend test has been running for 3 hours without any issues so far.

In order to rule out the RAM, for how long should I leave this test running to know for absolute certain the issue isn't with the RAM?

I'm running it in blend test again as it was the same test I got the error earlier.

Thanks.

Edit: No errors in the 7 hours I ran it. I tried booting windows with the slowest RAM installed at 1600MHz and the system didn't boot. I guess I'll have to underclock it and make do with what I have. :)

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
I think for the extra voltage I'm wondering if it's actually worth it? I did push it to 4.8ghz last night and it booted into windows and ran a cinebench pass no issues and did a quick CPU-Z load test, but ran out of time to do anymore stress testing, so it's back down at 4.4ghz again for the time being. Temps at 4.8 were pushing mid/high 70's though. Likely be 15-20 degrees less gaming based on previous testing, but seemed a little extreme. Still have speed step enabled though so it's not burning up electric in idle.

Don’t think I know of anyone that got 4.8 stable.

It’s worth it in the same way as 4.4 is worth it vs 4.0. You’re in diminishing returns beyond 4ghz so why stop. It’s not like you’re risking anything. 4.8ghz on x58 is just mental. Epic :)

Associate
Well, I ran it for a few hours last night playing Pube-g, at which point I did get a blue screen mid match... that will teach me for not stress testing it properly. The fact it ran for that long kinda tells me that it only needs a bit of a vcore boost for it to stable out, so I'll do that tonight and see how it goes. I think my GPU increasing ambient temps might have contributed to the BSOD, but I'll do more testing as it would be great to say I've got a 2.2ghz increase and it's 100% stable! It probably doesn't help that my base unit is also inside the desk cupboard! I do leave the doors open when gaming, but airflow still wont be as good as if it were on the floor, but I'm not moving it, as it's neater and tucked away, I'd sooner sacrifice 200mhz on the clock if it comes to it.

For the amount it's cost me though it's bloody epic, I think I could actually sell the board, ram and CPU on and get a Ryzen looking at how much the boards etc go for. Might just stick it up on ebay and see if I get a bite.

Associate
I finally managed some more testing at 4.4GHz and was able to get the CPU fully stable with 1.38125v.

In CPU mark, I got a total score of 9700 and a single threaded score of 1902, which is an increase of 23% and 35% when compared to stock performance.

For Cinebench, I noticed a higher score with slightly faster RAM at 1570ish MHz. I managed a score of 1015, which I am pretty pleased with from I have seen on YouTube. (I've seen an X5675 at 4.6GHz with a similar score)

My temps are still a little high for my cooler. But I found IntelBurnTest to be a much better tester of stability than prime95. prime95 can run for a long time without posting errors whereas IntelBurnTest can show system instability in as few as 3 passes, which I think is much more convenient. The temps on IntelBurnTest seem more realistic too at full load than the ridiculously high small ftt temps in prime95 or the FPU test temps in Aida64. Gaming temps are fine for the 1 game I tested. I'll have to try something more intense to get a better representation of things.

The down side is, at 4.4GHz the CPU idles at 40C, which is exactly 10C higher than when its clocked to 4.2GHz. But I'm happy nontheless. I think I got a good CPU for the price I paid and that's what matters most in the end. :)

Associate
I did some GTA 5 benchmarks with the X5650 at various clock speeds to see how much of a difference it makes.

I tested it at:
Stock, 4.0GHz, 4.2GHz, 4.4GHz, 4.5GHz and 4.6GHz.

Here are my results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Nq4s2oM2EXz2RV9bYnpQkIMZYZg/edit?usp=drivesdk

As a let's see what it's capable of, I did get the X5650 to 4.6GHz with 1.475volts - this voltage was perhaps more than it needed, I couldn't be bothered to dial it in as I'd had enough at this point. In game temps soared to mid 70s but they were largely in the high 60s. I think my chip is quite capable, I just have crappy cooling that can't keep up.

For gaming, I think 4.4GHz is ideal with my current setup. I don't lose a lot of performance whilst keeping the temps from barely touching low 60s.

Associate
Nice results! I'm not sure how good my chip is, as even though I can get it to 4.8ghz I still need more vcore than you guys at lower clock speeds. Any chance of sharing your OC settings? Not sure if I've setup mine incorrectly.

Associate
Thanks. I'm thinking to get a better cooler or I will be getting a better cooler to accommodate my new found..... clock speed. Lol. I've decided to return the one I currently have (faulty fan) and upgrade to one that will provide better cooling.

My settings for 4.6GHz were:
22 Multi
210 BCLK
Just over 1600MHz RAM
UCLK 2x RAM speed
QPI at the lowest number (not "slow mode")
1.475v vcore (This could be lower as I didn't have time to test this)
CPU PLL 1.86v
QPI/DRAM CORE 1.325v
DRAM 1.54v
LLC enabled
CPU spread spectrum disabled
Speedstep disabled
C-state disabled

I have Xtreme phase full power mode enabled

For slower clock speeds, I simply turned down the BCLK, vcore and DRAM ram voltage depending upon RAM speed.

Associate
1.64v is quite unnecessary I think. I remember watching a video on TechYesCity about 1.60v being a safe figure for overclocking 1600MHz RAM. Anything higher is risky, he said.

I have mine slighty overvolted at 1.54v, mainly because I have 1x 1600MHz at 1.5v and 3x 2000MHz at 1.65v. Further testing is needed which I haven't had time for to even warrant the extra 0.04v. However, I have had RAM issues before though and so that was my reason to up the voltage a tiny bit. Luckily, the little testing and gaming I did, I didn't get a BSOD. :)

Associate
Seems stable so far... Been running ibt for just under an hour. I'll put the ram voltage down to 1.5 i think, as it's only running slightly above stock speed with the overclock.

Either way really happy with the rig, got the itch now to do it all again... What other xeon systems are there like this? Is there a good cost x79 or x99 cpu like these x series I can mess with?

Associate
Wow! So soon? You've only had it a couple of weeks, if I recall correctly. :p

I myself like to look a little further on too, even though I will be keeping this system for a while until a significant CPU bottleneck. I haven't found anything that stands out. There's a lot of 4c/8t options but I don't think there's going back down to a 4 core once you've experienced the hex core goodness. :D

Soldato
1.64v is quite unnecessary I think. I remember watching a video on TechYesCity about 1.60v being a safe figure for overclocking 1600MHz RAM. Anything higher is risky, he said.

I have mine slighty overvolted at 1.54v, mainly because I have 1x 1600MHz at 1.5v and 3x 2000MHz at 1.65v. Further testing is needed which I haven't had time for to even warrant the extra 0.04v. However, I have had RAM issues before though and so that was my reason to up the voltage a tiny bit. Luckily, the little testing and gaming I did, I didn't get a BSOD. :)
Early DDR3 DIMMs were actually rated for 1.65 V. Newer DIMMs tended to be 1.5-1.6 V. I briefly ran both 1.5 V and 1.65 V sticks at 1.6 V and it was stable.

Either way really happy with the rig, got the itch now to do it all again... What other xeon systems are there like this? Is there a good cost x79 or x99 cpu like these x series I can mess with?
Nope. X58 is unique because later platforms lock down the BCLK and Xeons obviously have locked multipliers.

Associate
Wow! So soon? You've only had it a couple of weeks, if I recall correctly. :p

I myself like to look a little further on too, even though I will be keeping this system for a while until a significant CPU bottleneck. I haven't found anything that stands out. There's a lot of 4c/8t options but I don't think there's going back down to a 4 core once you've experienced the hex core goodness. :D

Yeah not had it long and seriously impressed with it, just curious more than anything what the xeon upgrade path looks like. I mean I could get an i7 8700k, but a xeon is my preferred choice. I nearly bought an e5 1680 v2 yesterday, guessing the i7 is the quicker cpu though.

Associate
Well I finally upgraded from my Xeon 5670 @4.2 to an i5 8600k clocked to 4.6, all that money spent on all new kit... Guess what! my 3DMark physics score is 2.5% lower than my old Xeon system. I daren't bring it back downstairs and stick the 1080Ti in it, the missus would go ballistic lol. Ah well, this will last me 5 years easy, and I reckon the Xeon will still be ticking along nicely then as well.

Associate
Early DDR3 DIMMs were actually rated for 1.65 V. Newer DIMMs tended to be 1.5-1.6 V. I briefly ran both 1.5 V and 1.65 V sticks at 1.6 V and it was stable.

I'm in the same situation. I have both 1.5v and 1.65v DIMMs. What speed were you running yours at?

I have mine at just over my slowest DIMM at around 1650MHz.

Yeah not had it long and seriously impressed with it, just curious more than anything what the xeon upgrade path looks like. I mean I could get an i7 8700k, but a xeon is my preferred choice. I nearly bought an e5 1680 v2 yesterday, guessing the i7 is the quicker cpu though.

Apparently, newer Xeons have a locked multiplier. So you'd be stuck at stock speeds. If gaming is your thing then you'd suffer quite a bit as gaming prefers high clock speed when you have an abundance of threads. Just like my empirical testing results.:p

Personally, I think it would be an expensive hobby to upgrade so frequently. I would just sit back and enjoy the X5650 goodness while it lasts. I.e. until a CPU bottleneck.

Well I finally upgraded from my Xeon 5670 @4.2 to an i5 8600k clocked to 4.6, all that money spent on all new kit... Guess what! my 3DMark physics score is 2.5% lower than my old Xeon system. I daren't bring it back downstairs and stick the 1080Ti in it, the missus would go ballistic lol. Ah well, this will last me 5 years easy, and I reckon the Xeon will still be ticking along nicely then as well.

How does in game performance compare?

Surely, the 8600K is a big improvement...

Associate
KungFuSpaghetti, a few google searches and a look on youtube suggest that newer Xeons can be overclocked. There's only a select few though.

This 8 core e5-1660v3 overclocks to 4Ghz:
https://youtu.be/wtJMm8s7ZW8

1495 is what he gets on Cinebench. :eek: For reference, I got 1040 at 4.5GHz.

Bed time reading....
http://www.overclock.net/t/1591590/xeon-hacking-and-overclocking-x79-x99-beyond-x58

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522858/x99-xeon-overclock

Let me know what you find. I'd love to know if there are other 8 core options that overclock as high as the video above. Now, that would be a deserving successor to the X5650. That's not to say their affordable now, but 2 or 3 years down the line when it's time to upgrade, there might be a bargain to be had. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom