• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
To they bay it is then.

thanks a lot guys, did do a wanted post but had no replies from there. Can get them for £20-£25 with free postage :D

Associate
yup, cheap as chips, easily the most powerful chip you can get for the money! Don't bother with the upper models either, they have a higher multi, but still achieve the same headline results once all is said and done!

Vir

Vir

Associate
Good chips, and great upgrade from the earlier i7 9xx, had mine at 4Ghz 24/7 for years.
I will say this though, I was surprised at how much it bottlenecked my 980Ti at gaming so far. Upgraded 2 weeks ago and it's really night and day difference for me. Just saying. :)

Soldato
Good chips, and great upgrade from the earlier i7 9xx, had mine at 4Ghz 24/7 for years.
I will say this though, I was surprised at how much it bottlenecked my 980Ti at gaming so far. Upgraded 2 weeks ago and it's really night and day difference for me. Just saying. :)

What rez were you at?

I'm at 1080P and I only ever get GPU bound in modern games with my 1070, the X5650 is mostly sitting there twiddling its virtual thumbs. Never gets close to being CPU bound.

Associate

Really? Find that strange as it doesn't appear to bottleneck my 1070ti at all. I only play in 1080p though.

Vir

Vir

Associate
Yeah for me there is a huge difference but I would feel bad to encourage others to do this if my previous system wasn't running properly. I am going to be honest, I have just tested PUBG and Metro Last Light so far with MSI Afterburner and just general feel. The GPU usage is totally different between the two systems, especially when the action starts. As said I don't want to start a flame war or anything, it's just my experience with upgrading and testing 2 the above games. I'm happy myself.

Associate
Yeah for me there is a huge difference but I would feel bad to encourage others to do this if my previous system wasn't running properly. I am going to be honest, I have just tested PUBG and Metro Last Light so far with MSI Afterburner and just general feel. The GPU usage is totally different between the two systems, especially when the action starts. As said I don't want to start a flame war or anything, it's just my experience with upgrading and testing 2 the above games. I'm happy myself.

Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning you, that wasn't how it was meant to come across :) I generally see my GPU pegged at 99-100% use on anything I game and CPU rarely gets much usage, although I never really look at utilization of the CPU, I tend to go more off temps and pube g gets into the mid 40's, but can get to 60 on synthetic CPU benchmarks.

Soldato
How much improvement does one of these chaps give over an i920 at say 3.6?

-edit i think i will give one a spin.
Haven't touched my processor in years and years

Last edited:
Soldato
How much improvement does one of these chaps give over an i920 at say 3.6?

-edit i think i will give one a spin.
Haven't touched my processor in years and years
I7 is 4 cores and 8 threads the 5650 is 6 cores and 12 threads. Good for multitasking or video editing etc

Soldato
Same otherwise structure, and IPC, so at 4.0 in theory it would be 10% faster plus two extra cores than the i920 at 3.6?
Worth a punt.
I'd say overall you will be unlucky to only get 4 out of a X5650 .. 4.2+ for all cores is what i'd be aiming for my much crappier E5649 does 4 on all cores and 4.2ish on 2 or less iirc.

Soldato
Well I ordered a X5650 which will be here in a few days so will finally get chance to have allay with one. May get another 6gb of ram as well if funds allow

Associate
ill leave them for you, I don't fancy paying that much for ram! lol

Yeah it's not the cheapest that's for sure, I'm just trying to bag the modules that have been badly listed with no competition, so far I've got 2x4gb for £25, got my eye on 2x8gb sticks, but seems hit and miss as to whether these will work. I'll try and get them anyway and give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom