• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Yeah it's not the cheapest that's for sure, I'm just trying to bag the modules that have been badly listed with no competition, so far I've got 2x4gb for £25, got my eye on 2x8gb sticks, but seems hit and miss as to whether these will work. I'll try and get them anyway and give it a go!

Why not aye, cheap ram is always good.

Still waiting on my processor to arrive

Associate
My thoughts exactly, I have 24gb of Kingston 1600mhz in at the moment, but the timings on them are quite possibly the worst and slowest batch they ever produced, but I got it all FOC, so can't complain. It would be nice to have the faster memory and tighter timings using XMP, might see if I can squeeze a bit more from the x5650!

Which CPU did you go for?

Soldato
My thoughts exactly, I have 24gb of Kingston 1600mhz in at the moment, but the timings on them are quite possibly the worst and slowest batch they ever produced, but I got it all FOC, so can't complain. It would be nice to have the faster memory and tighter timings using XMP, might see if I can squeeze a bit more from the x5650!

Which CPU did you go for?
I went for the 5650, cost £23 including postage off the bay :D

Associate
Nice! Hopefully it's a golden sample! I'm beginning to think the one I got is a bit meh... I need a fair chunk of voltage to get a 4.4ghz stable clock and at 4.8ghz it would post and boot to Winders, but would BSOD in games and needed over 1.45vcore from memory!

Soldato
Nice! Hopefully it's a golden sample! I'm beginning to think the one I got is a bit meh... I need a fair chunk of voltage to get a 4.4ghz stable clock and at 4.8ghz it would post and boot to Winders, but would BSOD in games and needed over 1.45vcore from memory!
I have just got a message saying its arrived!

I haven't done any overclocking in ages so will be fun to see what it can do. I got my I7 90 up to 4.2ghz

Soldato
Had a look st the Xeon and was expecting pins on the bottom and there was none but instead has pads so thought surely that's not right and googled the I7 and this is the same lol

Soldato
Anyone have any joy in getting the Xeon working with a Asus P6X58D-E motherboard? I put the Xeon in and the pc doesn't boot and no display and after putting back in the I7 it works fine.

I have pulled the power and removed the battery to factory reset the bios but still doesn't boot, any suggestions?

Associate
Anyone have any joy in getting the Xeon working with a Asus P6X58D-E motherboard? I put the Xeon in and the pc doesn't boot and no display and after putting back in the I7 it works fine.

I have pulled the power and removed the battery to factory reset the bios but still doesn't boot, any suggestions?

You would likely need to update your motherboard to the latest bios. Keep the i7 in, flash the new bios and then swap to the Xeon..

Soldato
Looks like I am stuck with the I7 then as I cannot get it to work or a dead cpu but don't have any other way of testing. Glad it didn't cost me too much

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I assume all settings in BIOS are set to auto? If not, there could be some manual settings that worked with your old chip that the Xeon doesn't like.

Soldato
I assume all settings in BIOS are set to auto? If not, there could be some manual settings that worked with your old chip that the Xeon doesn't like.
I did a factory reset of the bios to make sure there was no conflicting settings from my I7 to the Xeon but made no difference. Can't tell if it's a duff chip or the bios just doesn't support it as no other way of testing.

Thing powers up and all lights come on but no display which is the same thing I got when I built a 2200g system with a 350 mobo as it needed a bios update to work with the 2200g

Soldato
Invest been looking on Google and your board will take a xeon chip no problem, so it looks like a dead chip to me.
Yeah, I did look at it before buying but as it's not listed on the supported cpus I cannot be sure to a dead cpu or the motherboard just not supporting it as I don't have another system to test it on

Soldato
Yeah, I did look at it before buying but as it's not listed on the supported cpus I cannot be sure to a dead cpu or the motherboard just not supporting it as I don't have another system to test it on

If you remove all your RAM, do you still get a RAM error post beep, assuming you have a BIOS speaker attached. :)

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Did you read the thread that I linked to? That should have plenty of information to tell you whether your mobo will work with the CPU.

Soldato
If you remove all your RAM, do you still get a RAM error post beep, assuming you have a BIOS speaker attached. :)
I don't have a speaker attached so just going by what I can see

Did you read the thread that I linked to? That should have plenty of information to tell you whether your mobo will work with the CPU.
I haven't had chance too yet, as I'm on my mobile I'll take a look at it when I'm at the pc for better reading

Back
Top Bottom