• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
It's been going on and off for awhile. A few weeks ago I stripped the whole system down and built it outside the case and cleaned everything out then today it's having the same problems again.

Played Div2 for about 3 hours last night without a issue but turning it on this morning it refused to boot then the random reboots started

Well since replugging those cables sorted it for a bit I'd assume they are dirty or even check your power supply

Soldato
Well since replugging those cables sorted it for a bit I'd assume they are dirty or even check your power supply
I have changed the psu for another and had the same problems.

I'll give the mobo connectors a clean out and see f that helps at all

Associate
Why would you not upgrade, for the sake of £15-£20 a upgrade that will give you a system that performs roughly at a ryzen 1600x level. Its a huge boost in performance specially in games that require more than just 4 cores, granted not many. But if the games is using 4 cores those two extra cpu cores still help a lot by performing windows background tasks.

You can buy a x5675 right now for £25, i bought if of ebay and the seller is a korean one. I would aim for x5670 or x5675 or thereabouts. Dont bother with x5690 unless its a golden sample than can do 4.8-4.9ghz and that would be on water and then only if its cheap enough. A lot of sellers want £100 for the cpu which is not worth that price.

For less than £30 it will be the best upgrade you ever did in terms of bang for buck.

I bought and OC the 5680 Xeon on my Rampage Extreme 2. I run it at 4.2GH.

I see improvements in games. e.g. 2K Raise of the Tomb Raider gives me +5 FPS after benchmark and smoother game play (before the CPU utilization was 90%+).

Thanks for your advice, however I have a question. My Cinebench R15 result is only 726. I expected something closer to 1k.

See my settings and result under the link (i cannot add pictures as attachment to the forum for some reason):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxfWyUY6SpPbRybxUnQcHK4uooM1kuiI/view?usp=sharing

Can you tell me if 726 points with CineR15 at 4.2Gh is ok or i miss something?

Thanks, anpe

Soldato

I see improvements in games. e.g. 2K Raise of the Tomb Raider gives me +5 FPS after benchmark and smoother game play (before the CPU utilization was 90%+).

Thanks for your advice, however I have a question. My Cinebench R15 result is only 726. I expected something closer to 1k.

See my settings and result under the link (i cannot add pictures as attachment to the forum for some reason):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxfWyUY6SpPbRybxUnQcHK4uooM1kuiI/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, anpe

Hi

Glad your are happy with the purchase, good performance increase for almost nothing cost wise.

Unfortunately I don't have cinabench R15 and downloaded R20 and ran that from their website. I got a score 1950 with x5675 @ 4.2ghz. If you could download the latest build that would allow us to compare results more accurately but it does seem that your score is way lower than it should be.

Can you post all your BIOS settings please?

There are others here more experienced than me in overclocking these chips.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, problems have now returned with random reboots, this morning the pc would power in for a second and then off and back on and off till I re seated the 8 pin and 24 pin cables which then turned in to random reboots.

I'm looking at getting a second hand x58 board now pending prices so does anyone have any good suggestions for a mobo? Possible one that takes the x58xx processors as well. I currently got the Asus P6X58D-E mobo.

Any suggestions would be great. Currently cannot do a full upgrade till the end of the year which I'm currently saving for

I would look for a gigabyte x58 ud3 rev 2.0 if possible or gigabyte ud5 rev 2 both are good boards. I have hears there are now chines boards to buy but not great overclocking results.

But if you cant find a board cheap i would buy a cheap ryzen build to hold you.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi

Glad your are happy with the purchase, good performance increase for almost nothing cost wise.

Unfortunately I don't have cinabench R15 and downloaded R20 and ran that from their website. I got a score 1950 with x5675 @ 4.2ghz. If you could download the latest build that would allow us to compare results more accurately but it does seem that your score is way lower than it should be.

Can you post all your BIOS settings please?

There are others here more experienced than me in overclocking these chips.

My result with the cinabench R20 is 1462. 500 less than yours being at the same clock at @4.2ghz!

See my BIOS settings + cinabench R20 below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z9Y1kaDSy5BhUtUMfzMsNs_GZ0vSLhu8/view?usp=sharing

Where that 25% performance hit can come from? (this is the extra performance that i expected as well using the cinabench R15). Everything is super clocked. :)

Soldato
I would look for a gigabyte x58 ud3 rev 2.0 if possible or gigabyte ud5 rev 2 both are good boards. I have hears there are now chines boards to buy but not great overclocking results.

But if you cant find a board cheap i would buy a cheap ryzen build to hold you.
Thanks for the boards, will keep an eye out for them.

What makes me laugh is that in Dvi2 on my sons 2200g and my 390 in it scores more on the benchmark than my I7 950.

I was quite surprised at this considering how cheap the 2200 is. Son has 8gb with 2gb assigned to the onboard gpu and mine as 12gb

Soldato
My result with the cinabench R20 is 1462. 500 less than yours being at the same clock at @4.2ghz!

See my BIOS settings + cinabench R20 below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z9Y1kaDSy5BhUtUMfzMsNs_GZ0vSLhu8/view?usp=sharing

Where that 25% performance hit can come from? (this is the extra performance that i expected as well using the cinabench R15). Everything is super clocked. :)

I am running tighter timing on my ram and only 1600mhh and also have 16gb. Are you ram in the correct slots? I am not sure how many ram slots you have but if you have not put them in the correct order to get triple channel you will run some odd configuration. You bios settings seem all good.

very strange you are loosing performance. Can you tighten your timings?

Soldato
Thanks for the boards, will keep an eye out for them.

What makes me laugh is that in Dvi2 on my sons 2200g and my 390 in it scores more on the benchmark than my I7 950.

I was quite surprised at this considering how cheap the 2200 is. Son has 8gb with 2gb assigned to the onboard gpu and mine as 12gb

Yeah these processors are starting to get a bit old now after 10 years. Plus you are running a 950D which are slow and not good clockers if you upgraded to a x5650 you might get 4.2-4.4ghz and two extra cores, they are only £15 on ebay. If you manage to find a cheap board ie £50 or so then i would really upgrade to a x5650 cpu, it will give you much more performance than what you have now.

Soldato
Yeah these processors are starting to get a bit old now after 10 years. Plus you are running a 950D which are slow and not good clockers if you upgraded to a x5650 you might get 4.2-4.4ghz and two extra cores, they are only £15 on ebay. If you manage to find a cheap board ie £50 or so then i would really upgrade to a x5650 cpu, it will give you much more performance than what you have now.
Yeah, I did try a 5650 in my current board but the pc refused to boot and when I stuck the 950 back in it worked fine so I sent it back and just put it down to my board not supporting it or a dud cpu

Soldato
Yeah, I did try a 5650 in my current board but the pc refused to boot and when I stuck the 950 back in it worked fine so I sent it back and just put it down to my board not supporting it or a dud cpu

What board is that?

Most of them support it after flashing to latest BIOS. Mime did same thing but after bios flash it worked. Might be worth a try with your new board as i know your current one is giving you trouble.

Soldato
What board is that?

Most of them support it after flashing to latest BIOS. Mime did same thing but after bios flash it worked. Might be worth a try with your new board as i know your current one is giving you trouble.
My current board is a Asus P6X58D-E. Others had said on here that the board works with that cpu but mine wouldn't and is on the latest bios

Associate

Thanks, anpe

Something is certainly not right with that score, I have some CB results still saved from my X58 runs and they are ranging from 1000-1100+ clocked between 4.2 and 4.6 on an x5650. That's with an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 and with various ram configs running 48GB at 1600mhz and 32gb and over 1800mhz.

Soldato
Something is certainly not right with that score, I have some CB results still saved from my X58 runs and they are ranging from 1000-1100+ clocked between 4.2 and 4.6 on an x5650. That's with an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 and with various ram configs running 48GB at 1600mhz and 32gb and over 1800mhz.
Bear in mind that Meltdown & Spectre mitigations hit these older CPUs hard.

Associate

Good point, didn't think of that. I guess I must have switched platforms before those updates killed the performance. That's a pretty huge hit though on CB scores... and I have a feeling this wont be the last of these vulnerabilities spotted and patched.

Soldato
My current board is a Asus P6X58D-E. Others had said on here that the board works with that cpu but mine wouldn't and is on the latest bios

I suspect that the cpu was faulty rather than your board not working with the chip. If you board works with 950D and you upgraded BIOS i just cant see why it wont work with a x5650? Very strange, maybe try another cpu.

I have definitely noticed a slowdown with it. Nothing huge but its there regardless can still play everything just fine. This old platform is reaching the end of its life and i might upgrade to ryzen 3000 although i suspect this old horse is good for another year. I might even upgrade next ryzen refresh. Dont want to upgrade needlessly.

Soldato
I suspect that the cpu was faulty rather than your board not working with the chip. If you board works with 950D and you upgraded BIOS i just cant see why it wont work with a x5650? Very strange, maybe try another cpu.
Yeha, i guessed it was the CPU at fault, never bothered buying another one to try.

Those gigabyte boards are ranging from £100 upwards on the bay so looks like I may have to do a cpu\ram\mobo upgrade as spending that much on a 10+ year old system seems pointless and could most likely get a decent new AMD mobo for £100

Associate
Yeha, i guessed it was the CPU at fault, never bothered buying another one to try.

Those gigabyte boards are ranging from £100 upwards on the bay so looks like I may have to do a cpu\ram\mobo upgrade as spending that much on a 10+ year old system seems pointless and could most likely get a decent new AMD mobo for £100

Wouldn't just limit yourself to Gigabyte boards, there's others all of which do the same job and are equally as good. Asus do a load of different boards on x58, DFI Lanparty, EVGA etc etc.

£100 is a lot for one of these boards, I think I paid about that for mine with EK blocks for the CPU, NB, SB and VRM's and including replacing them all with forged copper Enzotech passive heatsinks (VRM's never gone over 46 degrees).

Soldato

Its a real real shame that you are so close to new ryzen 3000 and ryzen motherboards with better everything. If you can get by with a laptop for 2-3 months it might be worth it, yeah its a pain but you get a much better performing system and bang for you buck.

How about some of those chines motherboard seem them go for £60. They are pants and no overclocking but it will get your pc back up and running. Shame ebay prices are so stupid.

Wouldn't just limit yourself to Gigabyte boards, there's others all of which do the same job and are equally as good. Asus do a load of different boards on x58, DFI Lanparty, EVGA etc etc.

£100 is a lot for one of these boards, I think I paid about that for mine with EK blocks for the CPU, NB, SB and VRM's and including replacing them all with forged copper Enzotech passive heatsinks (VRM's never gone over 46 degrees).

agree with kungfu see if you can find other motherboards manufacturers. the only issue is ebay prices for x58 are crazy right now regardless of the manufacturer.

Right now i saw a server board for £40 that might tide your over but it will not take a 950D, It will take a x5650. Search for X58 Motherboards on ebay and you should see IBM Thinkstation server board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a real real shame that you are so close to new ryzen 3000 and ryzen motherboards with better everything. If you can get by with a laptop for 2-3 months it might be worth it, yeah its a pain but you get a much better performing system and bang for you buck.

I did see the Chinese ones on there and was a bit unsure on spending the money on them. there is not many X58 mobos on there and the ones that are seem to be costing a lot.

I may just chuck my 390 in my sons PC and use it on there for a few months as he is not going to be using it at night when I play the game and then see what state things are with Zen 2 comes out

cheers for all the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom