• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Are the Chinese boards the one's with all black heatsinks on etc and unbranded?

It's a shame I don't have MM access, as I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with all forged copper cooling on the board, an x5650 and 16GB of 2400mhz RAM and 48GB of 1600mhz RAM sat in a cupboard lol.

That is a shame, get posting as only need another 242 more posts! lol

Associate
Are the Chinese boards the one's with all black heatsinks on etc and unbranded?

That is a shame, get posting as only need another 242 more posts! lol

Haha tell me about it! Don't want to post just for the sake of it, but I suppose it would get me to 1k posts lol.

Yeah I think those Chinese ones are all unbranded, so I'd assume the VRM's are probably cheap components and the cooling will likely leave a lot to be desired as well as overclocking from a combo of sh!t VRMs and poor BIOS... could be wrong, they may well be amazing, but I'd personally not take the risk as I did briefly consider one before I found the Asus P6T.

Soldato
The chines boards are crap and only good for stock, not much overclocking but they will allow his pc to get back working and he can wait few months for new ryzen 3000.

I would not rush and buy chines board, wait see what comes up on ebay.

put up a wanted post in wanted section.

worst case scenario the chines x58 board.

Soldato
Cheers everyone.

I think ill wait, ill save the £50 odd and use my sons PC and just move my 390 over for the time being.

@KungFuSpaghetti, where about's are you based?

I have a works laptop but dont think they would be happy with me installing Uplay and Div 2 on it and it would be on a HDD not a SSD so load times would be painful :(

Associate
Best bet mate, it's £50-100 for a new board on a dead end platform. As great as it is, it's just not worth investing in, especially if the hype around these Ryzen chips comes true. If these leaks are in anyway accurate, then getting a 6 core or 8 core chip for around £100 that will perform like a top end Intel part for gaming... well, that's a game changer, especially at the reported power draw!

Associate
Haha tell me about it! Don't want to post just for the sake of it, but I suppose it would get me to 1k posts lol.

Yeah I think those Chinese ones are all unbranded, so I'd assume the VRM's are probably cheap components and the cooling will likely leave a lot to be desired as well as overclocking from a combo of sh!t VRMs and poor BIOS... could be wrong, they may well be amazing, but I'd personally not take the risk as I did briefly consider one before I found the Asus P6T.

If they're the cheap xeon ones on ebay.. I bought one. Could not get the damn thing to even get past the boot codes despite trying several supposedly compatible CPUs.
In the end I binned it. There's a reason they're so cheap - because they're awful.

Soldato
If they're the cheap xeon ones on ebay.. I bought one. Could not get the damn thing to even get past the boot codes despite trying several supposedly compatible CPUs.
In the end I binned it. There's a reason they're so cheap - because they're awful.
Ill avoid trying these then! did look at them and showed that they where released in 2015.

Associate
I am running tighter timing on my ram and only 1600mhh and also have 16gb. Are you ram in the correct slots? I am not sure how many ram slots you have but if you have not put them in the correct order to get triple channel you will run some odd configuration. You bios settings seem all good.

very strange you are loosing performance. Can you tighten your timings?

I put the 3 rams in the right slots and I have triple channel. At 2000Mhz this is the the lowest timing i can do.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxfWyUY6SpPbRybxUnQcHK4uooM1kuiI/view?usp=sharing

What can be the problem of that huge performance hit then? I have no idea.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm after some advice, the company I do I.T shennigans for is having a refresh so they are selling old gear to staff, 1 unit per head, proceeds to charity. So for £50 I'm looking at the below:

Dell t3500 with w3680 6c 6t, unlocked so it will do 4ghz with throttlestop

or

Dell t3600 with e5 2680 8c 8t, no chance to oc, all core boost 3.1ghz

My brain tells me go with the slightly newer platform but on the flipside i'm pretty sure a 4ghz w3680 will best it in quite a few tasks.

Gpu will be an rx580 4gb, workload will be gaming, website creation inc video encoding and photoshop.

What's the general consensus?

Soldato
...Gpu will be an rx580 4gb, workload will be gaming, website creation inc video encoding and photoshop.

The T3500 will better for everything apart from video encoding and even then it will only be marginally behind the T3600 and not enough for you to notice the difference.

Associate
The T3500 will better for everything apart from video encoding and even then it will only be marginally behind the T3600 and not enough for you to notice the difference.
Cheers MArtinPrince, that's pretty much my thinking, also I'm sure it will kill my aging i5 3470 in just about every task thrown at it apart from where higher ipc is needed.

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm after some advice, the company I do I.T shennigans for is having a refresh so they are selling old gear to staff, 1 unit per head, proceeds to charity. So for £50 I'm looking at the below:

Dell t3500 with w3680 6c 6t, unlocked so it will do 4ghz with throttlestop

or

Dell t3600 with e5 2680 8c 8t, no chance to oc, all core boost 3.1ghz

My brain tells me go with the slightly newer platform but on the flipside i'm pretty sure a 4ghz w3680 will best it in quite a few tasks.

Gpu will be an rx580 4gb, workload will be gaming, website creation inc video encoding and photoshop.

e5 2680 is sandy bridge w3680 is westmere i believe so you also gotta consider lower IPC

Associate
Still using a Gigabyte UD5 mobo, with a Core I7 920, and yeah I know that you can buy 6 core CPU's cheaply, but I've never bought anything second hand for my PC's over the years nor anything off ebay for that matter. A few months back a bought a Radeon RX 570 8 Gig card for it, which has brought a big boost to performance.

Yesterday I managed to bring highest the memory amount I've had in it to 20 Gigs. When I had first built my system in Jan 2010, I had 3 x 2 DDR3 1600Mhz DIMMs of Crucial Hyper X ( Yellow Sticks ) and then added another 16 Gig 4 x4 set of Kingston ram ( the Blue Hyper X 1600 Mhz variety ). So all 6 DIMM slots filled for the first time ever lol. Right now, I've had to pull out the fan of the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme to get the inner DIMM to be made available, reconnecting the fan and having it fit is damn near impossible and thus I've resorted to having the wires extended. I think the fan will be able to be screwed back in place, but if not .. it may need some modding. I'm considering adding an additional, 2x8 (16 Gig) sticks, but I can't find any Hyper X stuff for reasonable money, only the terribly naff named 'Team Group' stuff, that I've never heard of before are here on Overclockers.. that fall into the reasonable price category hummm.. I'm doing some heavy 3D rendering animations so I'll see how 20 gig fairs, but obviously more the better, as I also do VFX and video editing.

Had to steal the old CPU fan from my old Athlon 64 system and a set of 3 laptop fans stuck together which are powered by USB, to cool the Zalman heatsink temporarily, whilst I wait to go into town to buy a soldering iron to properly fix all this. Idled around 42 and 66 whilst gaming last night with the window open...

The joys of computers... and in the corner I have a little ZX81 computer with 1k, of ram in it...lol...how times have changed.

Back
Top Bottom