• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
Hi all,

This thread is very useful. Thanks for the useful info. I have my i930 at 4GHz with a 1070, Asus extreme 2 MB that I use to game at 2560*1600 (16:10), at 60Hz (max capacity).

Now, I am wondering if changing to Xeon would really worth it. I am not keen to replace everything now as it serves well but in some games as Raise of the Tomb raider it gets below 60FPS.

My questions:
1) Is it recommend to buy the Xeon?
MartinPrince used to have similar setup.

2) Is there anything that I need to know when it comes to the different versions of the Xeon 5650-90? Can I buy any versove or some is more recommend? I can buy them relatively cheap.

Thank you.
Anpe

Soldato
Hi all,

This thread is very useful. Thanks for the useful info. I have my i930 at 4GHz with a 1070, Asus extreme 2 MB that I use to game at 2560*1600 (16:10), at 60Hz (max capacity).

Now, I am wondering if changing to Xeon would really worth it. I am not keen to replace everything now as it serves well but in some games as Raise of the Tomb raider it gets below 60FPS.

My questions:

2) Is there anything that I need to know when it comes to the different versions of the Xeon 5650-90? Can I buy any versove or some is more recommend? I can buy them relatively cheap.

Thank you.
Anpe
I had the same motherboard as you though got the X5670. As suggested by KungFuSpaghetti I would go for the X5670 etc (if available) which means that the BCLK needed is not as high as for the X5650. Mine could run at 4.6Ghz but 4.5Ghz was less voltage and heat. Anything from ~4.2Ghz upwards is a good speed

Associate
I went for a 5675 and it has been great.
I wanted to squeeze that little bit of extra time out of my system.
Given I built it 10 years ago when it was cutting edge, it has served me really well.
I never imagined it would last me for so long, the wife pulled a right face when she saw the cost at the time for the parts.....I now frequently point out just how long it has lasted to justify the spend.
That is partly to justify my next splurge on mobo/cpu/ram :)

Soldato
Hi all,

My questions:

Thank you.
Anpe

Why would you not upgrade, for the sake of £15-£20 a upgrade that will give you a system that performs roughly at a ryzen 1600x level. Its a huge boost in performance specially in games that require more than just 4 cores, granted not many. But if the games is using 4 cores those two extra cpu cores still help a lot by performing windows background tasks.

You can buy a x5675 right now for £25, i bought if of ebay and the seller is a korean one. I would aim for x5670 or x5675 or thereabouts. Dont bother with x5690 unless its a golden sample than can do 4.8-4.9ghz and that would be on water and then only if its cheap enough. A lot of sellers want £100 for the cpu which is not worth that price.

For less than £30 it will be the best upgrade you ever did in terms of bang for buck.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest anything else to try with this issue??

PC specs are below

- I7 950 @ 3.06ghz (not overclocked)
- 12GB of ram 6GB is Corsair and 6GB is another brand)
- Asus P6X58D-E
- Antec AIO cooler
- Sapphire Nitro 390 8GB @ 1080p (also not overclocked)

Issue, When playing the Division 2 the PC will randomly reboot. Sometimes I can play for an hour or more without a issue but when it starts happening it will keep doing it after the game is running for a few minutes.

I have tried the following

- Changed PSU, went from a Corsair CX 450w PSU to a Corsair CX 750M PSU (modular psus)
- Changed the power cable to the gpu, 2 x 8 pin connecters. tried it with 1 x cable with 2 x 8 pins at the end and also tried with 2 dedicated cables instead of 1 with a splitter on.
- Re seated all PSU power cables (8 pin and 24 pin)
- Changed GPU to different PCIE slot
- Clean install on W10 on latest AMD Drivers.
- Replaced cmos battery
- Currently PC is setup outside the case on a table as wanted to make sure there was no shorts with the mobo and case.
- Temps all seem fine (CPU 42C and GPU 50C)

I think the motherboard is failing and needs replacing but if this is the case I may as well do a cpu\mobo\ram upgrade as so far the issue is still happening and event viewer I just get the Critical errors with "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Thought I would ask here before doing a new post, Bios is on latest version (8030) and the only thing changed under here is XMP (also happens with out this being set). Thought I would post before rebuilding it all back in the case tomorrow

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
just sat here for 45 mins playing roblox games without a issue at all, loaded Div 2 and pc shuts down and comes back on as soon as the game loads in to the safe house

Soldato
just sat here for 45 mins playing roblox games without a issue at all, loaded Div 2 and pc shuts down and comes back on as soon as the game loads in to the safe house

I would test the memory using a program. I would also run everything at stock. Can you post your setting here from your BIOS? like voltages, memorry setting ect.

Soldato
I would test the memory using a program. I would also run everything at stock. Can you post your setting here from your BIOS? like voltages, memorry setting ect.
Agreed. My X5675 can't run my 1866 MHz RAM at anything over 1600 MHz, so even "stock" isn't necessarily stable with these CPUs.

Soldato
Ram checks out fine, I stuck the gpu in my sons pc and had no issues playing Div2.

I cannot get it to run over 1600mhz anyway, without xmp it runs at 1333mhz. No overclocks on the system at all, will rebuild the pc and give it another try as all laid out over the table at the moment, may even try another game as all roblox games run fine

Soldato
what are your bios setting, like voltages, cpu volts, cpu pll, ect ect?

I would as a precaution and for testing remove 3 of the ram slots and test again.

I would try upping voltages. I dont have that board unfortunately so not sure what various settings are named in your BIOS.

Associate
Have you tried just running it with the Corsair ram installed (removing the other brand)?
A few years back I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the system not liking the different brand of ram - worked fine when I removed it.

Soldato
Cheers for all the replies.

I tried to post my bios settings but for the love of me I can't remember the login details for imgur.

Rebuilt the pc, removed the corsiar ram and managed to play for an hour or so.

Soldato
So, problems have now returned with random reboots, this morning the pc would power in for a second and then off and back on and off till I re seated the 8 pin and 24 pin cables which then turned in to random reboots.

I'm looking at getting a second hand x58 board now pending prices so does anyone have any good suggestions for a mobo? Possible one that takes the x58xx processors as well. I currently got the Asus P6X58D-E mobo.

Any suggestions would be great. Currently cannot do a full upgrade till the end of the year which I'm currently saving for

Soldato
So, problems have now returned with random reboots, this morning the pc would power in for a second and then off and back on and off till I re seated the 8 pin and 24 pin cables which then turned in to random reboots.

I'm looking at getting a second hand x58 board now pending prices so does anyone have any good suggestions for a mobo? Possible one that takes the x58xx processors as well. I currently got the Asus P6X58D-E mobo.

Any suggestions would be great. Currently cannot do a full upgrade till the end of the year which I'm currently saving for

I'd unplug and replug those cables a few times and then see what happens before buying anything.

Soldato
I'd unplug and replug those cables a few times and then see what happens before buying anything.
It's been going on and off for awhile. A few weeks ago I stripped the whole system down and built it outside the case and cleaned everything out then today it's having the same problems again.

Played Div2 for about 3 hours last night without a issue but turning it on this morning it refused to boot then the random reboots started

Back
Top Bottom