1440p Gsync without blacklight bleed?

Soldato
none of my IPS are like that, its unfair to say all IPS are like that.

The problem is I think quality has gone out of the window on monitors these days, instead they focusing on gimmicky features.

It also seems to be worse on gsync screens as on those screens they focus more on responsiveness of pixels rather than visual quality.

The only LCD screens I have had with obvious backlight bleed have been ips. All my TVs have been fine and all TN and VA monitors have been fine.

Yet when I bought an ips monitor, first a Dell which was so bad I returned it twice before getting a refund and then a viewsonic it went back several times before I got one I could tolerate.

I know ips screens have their strong points but I'd never buy another one. I like playing elite dangerous and other dark games and backlight bleed / ips glow just ruins them.

Soldato
OP
Here's an update for anyone that's interested. I finally have a decent monitor, an Acer XB271HU. Here's my experience with this very niche monitor market. I had two Asus PG297Q, they both had multiple dead pixels and horrendous backlight bleed. I then tried a Viewsonic XG2703-GS, no dead pixels, minimal backlight bleed but the white balance was awful. The corners were far too cold and looked somewhat pink. I then tried an Acer XB271HU, minimal backlight bleed but it had a dead pixel. My second Acer XB271HU has no dead pixels, white balance is good and minimal backlight bleeding.

Soldato
Here's an update for anyone that's interested. I finally have a decent monitor, an Acer XB271HU. Here's my experience with this very niche monitor market. I had two Asus PG297Q, they both had multiple dead pixels and horrendous backlight bleed. I then tried a Viewsonic XG2703-GS, no dead pixels, minimal backlight bleed but the white balance was awful. The corners were far too cold and looked somewhat pink. I then tried an Acer XB271HU, minimal backlight bleed but it had a dead pixel. My second Acer XB271HU has no dead pixels, white balance is good and minimal backlight bleeding.

Wow, that was some journey...!

Thought that it was bad for me three years ago as it took my third monitor return before getting one reasonable enough to keep.

Glad that you found a keeper but from what you write it just illustrates the need to shop with a good retailer, for the inevitable exchanges.

Soldato
Buying a monitor these days is an absolute minefield :(

I got lucky with my Samsung cf791 recently though. No dead pixels or backlight bleed.

Buying from a retailer with good return policies is an absolute must though.

Soldato
OP
Glad you found one you are happy with :)

Thanks!

Wow, that was some journey...!

Thought that it was bad for me three years ago as it took my third monitor return before getting one reasonable enough to keep.

Glad that you found a keeper but from what you write it just illustrates the need to shop with a good retailer, for the inevitable exchanges.

Yeah, in total it's taken 6 weeks to get one I'm happy with. I strongly suggest using a company that does advanced replacements, that way you're never without a monitor.

Aside from the fact that a £700 monitor should be defect free, I kept at it as I'm aware that 4k is looming and at some point (single gpu @ 100+fps etc.) I'll want to sell this one and get a 4k one. I'll have a much easier time selling this monitor than I would any of my previous ones.

Soldato

I admire your persistance! I've never gotten past the first return, always sent them back for refund and decided not to bother for another few months...

That said new monitor just arrived, now sitting in the boot of my car until I can take it home... I'm genuinely going to have to work myself up into trying it out. There's a real sense of anxiety attached to the whole process of buying a screen these days :(

Soldato
Thanks!

Yeah, in total it's taken 6 weeks to get one I'm happy with. I strongly suggest using a company that does advanced replacements, that way you're never without a monitor.

Aside from the fact that a £700 monitor should be defect free, I kept at it as I'm aware that 4k is looming and at some point (single gpu @ 100+fps etc.) I'll want to sell this one and get a 4k one. I'll have a much easier time selling this monitor than I would any of my previous ones.

Advanced replacement is very useful, I used it. As well as a good retailer.

I am hovering with a AOC AG271UG 27-Inch 4K Widescreen IPS in my basket, at £535.

With it having Gsync and I have a 1080Ti Xtreme card it kinda makes sense to me over sticking to a 1440p with a higher refresh rate. I don't play many FPS type games, maybe Windows scaling etc might be an issue. But you have to try these things to know for sure. Just seems to cause as much anxiety as it does excitement over changing a monitor.

Caporegime
That said new monitor just arrived, now sitting in the boot of my car until I can take it home... I'm genuinely going to have to work myself up into trying it out. There's a real sense of anxiety attached to the whole process of buying a screen these days :(

I'm on my second, soon to be third replacement with Benq. Doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer you buy from, they all make you jump through hoops when their sub par products need replacing. They're good at charging a premium price for hit or miss quality and aftercare service that's as caring as the SS.

Caporegime
Advanced replacement is very useful, I used it. As well as a good retailer.

I am hovering with a AOC AG271UG 27-Inch 4K Widescreen IPS in my basket, at £535.

With it having Gsync and I have a 1080Ti Xtreme card it kinda makes sense to me over sticking to a 1440p with a higher refresh rate. I don't play many FPS type games, maybe Windows scaling etc might be an issue. But you have to try these things to know for sure. Just seems to cause as much anxiety as it does excitement over changing a monitor.

Having used both 1440p and 4K screens over the last couple of years I'd say stick with 1440p and a high refresh rate. Best balance of IQ and smoothness imo :cool:

Soldato
OP
Having used both 1440p and 4K screens over the last couple of years I'd say stick with 1440p and a high refresh rate. Best balance of IQ and smoothness imo :cool:

That's exactly why I bought a monitor now, to go with my 1080ti. I don't want to move to 4k untill the single gpu performance is similar to that of 1440p 144hz screens now.

Soldato
^^^^ Thanks for the thoughts on 4k.
Until then the benefits offered by 1440p and a higher refresh rate could be better.

The AOC AG352UCG 35-Inch Widescreen MVA monitor has some appeal, if I can get my head around 21:9 again. At least with that resolution I do not lose any vertical screen size as to what I did when I had a LG 29" 21:9 with a 1080p vertical size. The MVA panel could work out ok, with Gsync at 100hz, not sure if people have been able to overclock that but should work out fine with a 1080Ti.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know what you mean, just a *touch* narrow. My 38" LG def solves this issue though, and is probably the perfect fit in regards to width.

I think i wasn't that impressed as its just mimicking eyefinity to an extent, a single panel is never going to touch the experience of 3 panels side by side, going from 16:9 to this might be a "wow" experience for a non triple screen user, but for me it just felt lacking. Had eyefinity for 4 years so this just seems like its sort of going back to that but nowhere near as immersive.

Think i'll wait til the newer models are out, maybe a minimum of 120hz is what i need to feel more of a difference.

Associate
My Dell S2417DG

My Asus PG278QR

This isn't bleed, I couldn't get a good head on shot as I couldn't see it in the dark.

Both are tn panels to which I was expecting the worst so I have been quite fortunate. I went with the tn version of the asus as I have no time for ips glow.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Dell S2417DG
2017-08-24%2001.39.47_zpspsnf1pll.jpg
My Asus PG278QR
2017-09-08%2020.55.30_zpsxyj5dcav.jpg
This isn't bleed, I couldn't get a good head on shot as I couldn't see it in the dark.

Both are tn panels to which I was expecting the worst so I have been quite fortunate. I went with the tn version of the asus as I have no time for ips glow.

TN panels shouldn't suffer from uneven backlight bleed.

Back
Top Bottom