1440p Gsync without blacklight bleed?

Soldato
BLB is a bummer in darker games. This is my brand new LG monitor from Overclockers:
bb1.jpg

It's OK for brighter games, but for Elite Dangerous and other space related games it's awful. I don't know how people can settle for it, but then I have some TNs with near zero problems and and an AMVA which you could mistake as being off on a black screen.
none of my IPS are like that, its unfair to say all IPS are like that.

The problem is I think quality has gone out of the window on monitors these days, instead they focusing on gimmicky features.

It also seems to be worse on gsync screens as on those screens they focus more on responsiveness of pixels rather than visual quality.

Soldato
Yeah, I suppose. It's irritating to purchase a super premium monitor for £650 and still have to worry about quality issues. For that price, every panel should be absolutely perfect.

£100 gsync tax so thats £550 straight away, premium monitors cost over a grand ;)

I just dont associate gsync screens with visual quality, corners are cut on that side to get the refresh rates out of the panels and to keep the things profitable due to the gsync cost.

Associate
£100 gsync tax so thats £550 straight away, premium monitors cost over a grand ;)

I just dont associate gsync screens with visual quality, corners are cut on that side to get the refresh rates out of the panels and to keep the things profitable due to the gsync cost.

Yep, yet we all still support Nvidia. Barking mad.

Associate
^^^^^ best of luck and please post back again how you go on. I just hope that you get a good one, sadly this is why I dislike changing monitors...!
Got it yesterday but was to busy to set it up till today.
Thankfully they sent me a brand new monitor this time.
It looks great and has a great picture, only had a chance to try it out on a few games but they look and feel good.
Only prob is theres a small amount of ips yellow glow in the bottom of each corner.
Now i just need to decide if i want to take a chance that the next one might be worse

Soldato
Got it yesterday but was to busy to set it up till today.
Thankfully they sent me a brand new monitor this time.
It looks great and has a great picture, only had a chance to try it out on a few games but they look and feel good.
Only prob is theres a small amount of ips yellow glow in the bottom of each corner.
Now i just need to decide if i want to take a chance that the next one might be worse

Well done on getting a new one, some could argue that is what you paid for in the first place....! :)

Tough call with the monitor and the glow, but I thought that all IPS screens had a certain amount of glow..? Isn't it just a characteristic of the technology and all you can get is some worse than others...? That's the problem isn't it when making a choice, will the other one have almost zero glow and two dead pixels...?

My Benq had a small amount of glow in each corner, and a little bleed at the bottom. Maybe over time that got a little worse..? I do see it when it boots but that is about the only time I'm aware of it.
Tough call like I mentioned.
But when you pay over £600 you want something near as damn perfect, with IPS, and monitors in general, that is down to the panel lottery and I reckon and yours sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah my old sell had worse glow.
And I don't know if I think its worse since Im trying to look for faults.
My wife can't see anything, mind you she doesn't notice the glow round our old tv

Soldato
My wife can't see glow, bleed, false contoring (banding on our Plasma TV) or dead pixels.

In some ways I wish that I wasn't able to see those types of issues.

There isn't a big rush tho, you have a while to make your mind up.

Let us know your thoughts on Gsync when you have tested it out.

Soldato
OP
The Viewsonic is going back! After properly calibrating it the white balance is way off. The middle, where the calibration device was, is calibrated to 6500k (as expected). However, the left side 6000k and the right side is 7000k. The rain forest is out of stock on these now too, so I guess I'll try the Acer.

Associate
I'm now kinda thinking of sending it back as well now.
I'm noticing the yellow glow more now :(

might even try the acer as well since its still out of stock.

Soldato
Looks like I'll be keeping my 3 years old Benq, seems too much hassle to me to change monitors. They cost a lot of money and the poor build quality / panel lottery means that it can be a pain, add GSync to that and it seems to get worse.

Associate
If it wasn't for the yellow glow. I'd be keeping it.
Really smooth game play and looks amazing.
Mind you that's compared to an old 23" 1080p monitor

Soldato
OP
It would be nice if there was more than 4 monitors to choose from in this category, freesync has much better options, just a shame the cards aren't as good.

Associate
It would be nice if there was more than 4 monitors to choose from in this category, freesync has much better options, just a shame the cards aren't as good.
Yeah so true, I've been waiting since last November to upgrade my monitor.
Was all set to go with vega and the new samsung 27"
But the performance and power usage put me off

Soldato
If it wasn't for the yellow glow. I'd be keeping it.
Really smooth game play and looks amazing.
Mind you that's compared to an old 23" 1080p monitor

What did you end up doing, did you send it back....?

Also is it possible with this monitor to set a picture mode for "low blue light". I find that useful with my Benq monitor for night use.

Last edited:
Associate
Was just about to send it back to get a replacement since they're back in stock.
But I don't know if it's because the first one hasn't got back yet or not but they're only offering refund once I send it back.
Going to wait till first one gets returned before do anything.
Not sure about the picture mode

Soldato
Just wondering why either of you haven't mentioned a 4k monitor with Gsync (around £560 or so)....?

Take a look here.....

full screen watching and the highest res would be preferable.

....that video is not the first time I have read about people noting such real detail and sharpness in the picture when coming from a 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom