• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1440p Ultrawide experiences

Soldato
Coil whine
Flickering
Monitor Turning OFF
very bad Glow

Yea this is why I ended up just going for a 1080 VA panel until things improve (the 1440 IPSs are plagued with issues still). Being VA you don't get those issues. No backlight glow, so backs are actually black.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately, if your main games are unsupported or buggy with 21:9 then it's too much of an inconvenience (e.g. DotA 2 - HUD's broken and your screen space is severely affected).

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately, if your main games are unsupported or buggy with 21:9 then it's too much of an inconvenience (e.g. DotA 2 - HUD's broken and your screen space is severely affected).

to be fair, (ive used 21:9 before)
Dota UI is broken on 16:9 too. its far to big its the worst ui in history of games
however

i do kind of understand some games shouldn't support 21:9 in competitive modes, but unranked should be allowed eg
Dota
LoL
CSS

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Coil whine
Flickering
Monitor Turning OFF
very bad Glow

It did not (X34A that is) fix all the issues, some of them are inherent to the panel I believe. I have both the ASUS main PC and the X34A after brother moved abroad and left his rig.

My ASUS PG348Q had to be replaced twice, first due to whine and second due to shed load of bleed. Likewise brother had to replace his first X34A when it had bleed. Between the two only main diffrence is the stand, ASUS has Red eye underneath while ASUS has RGB strip. ASUS has a much much nicer navigation method with the joystick and ASUS seem to be copying on the X34P reveal so must work.

On the other hand, know plenty who got great panels on first try. Point being both can have some issues, still an element of lottery, but if your willing to RMA and be patient in the event there are issues, well worth getting either.

to be fair, (ive used 21:9 before)
Dota UI is broken on 16:9 too. its far to big its the worst ui in history of games
however

i do kind of understand some games shouldn't support 21:9 in competitive modes, but unranked should be allowed eg
Dota
LoL
CSS

Both games can be had working in 3440 x 1440 without too much of an issue. With Fallout 4 a small tweak in the prefrence.ini file will solve it with few minor quirks here and there or a third party mod which will solve the issue properly. Likewise with Skyrim, a small tweak can get it mostly solved within 10 seconds, but few areas will remain truncated for which there is also a small mod fix out. For myself not an issue and only very bottom of the Skyrim hud which is truncated. But here is link for fix: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...ial edition which works fine with 3440 x 1440

Got all excited but been reading the x34a has a scanline issue :(, guess back to waiting again, x34p delayed.

Yeah some people do get Scanline issues but the silent majority do not get it or are at least do not find it perceivable. I do know some people put their nose to the screen and can start noticing the issue, but really during daily use they will not notice it. Does suck of course, but I think overall very minor issue and should not hold you back!

Soldato
Love my ultra wide and will never go back to 16:9 on a desktop again. Can't wait for higher resolution and larger versions to come out. I'm even keeping an eye out for a 21:9 laptop when they come out, I know there is one from acer at the moment but would rather not buy acer stuff and wait for asus or evga to make one.

Caporegime
Yea this is why I ended up just going for a 1080 VA panel until things improve (the 1440 IPSs are plagued with issues still). Being VA you don't get those issues. No backlight glow, so backs are actually black.

I went through loads of monitors before I settled with the X34

I had a VA and the Ghosting in games due to refresh was a joke.

I have had no issues with withmy X34 and are really pleased with it. So waiting for things to improve is a bit of a waste of time imo...

You either get a good one or you dont

I had a Dell Gysnc before the X34 and it suffered from Verticle interlacing issues in games..That monitor was a joke

The X34 is streets ahead.

I have the the XR341CK, which is 21:9 34" 1440p 75hz Freesync (£300 less than the Gsync version!). It is also IPS which is essential imo. Curved too.

Overclockers don't seem to have it anymore, but when buying I already new a higher hz version was on the horizon (not bothered as 75hz is SO much better than 60hz!).

I have to say that the monitor is brilliant. Curved TV....no. Curved monitor ultrawide....yes.

It cost me £600 just before the Brexit exchange rate hit. It is definitely worth the money.

Soldato
and greys are crushed!

It's flat greys that crush when on top of solid black, but games don't tend to use those colours to much so you don't really see it very often and it's not all that bad. Theres no perfect panel and I'd rather that than backlight bleed, which is always present and can make dark colours and shadows etc look washed out :/

Last edited:
Associate

DSC_3410.jpg

yeee boi!

had to stick my new rads in there as they just arrived, hehe

Permabanned
Fallout 4 works fine, there is a guide on steam about how to get 21.9 working

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/s...ghlight=fallout+username_nexus18#post28837189

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/s...ghlight=fallout+username_nexus18#post28797739

Pretty sure skyrim works with 21.9 too, at least I have seen screenies of people playing it in 21.9
There's workarounds but there not perfect for example I used the ultrawide guide on Steam and I get this.

Kon9wDNh.jpg.png

It'd be handy if someone can explain how to fix this please.

Caporegime
Not at my PC atm so can't directly link to the mods/tweaks required but if you just google the following

fallout 4 power armour 21.9

I guarantee you that you will find a fix for it and likewise for sniping/scopes.

Soldato
My X34 is one of my best gaming purchases in years. Love the format and gaming @ 21:9 is so much nicer. Can't see me going back to normal widescreen 16:9.

Back
Top Bottom