• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Intel Saphire Rapids looks set to launch o on 10 January 2023, Intel just announced. It uses the same chiplet technology that meteor lake would use and has 4 CPU core chiplets each containing 14 performance cores for a total of 56 Golden Cove performance cores (no E cores) and a 350w TDP

Gonna be interesting to see reviews especially if they look at things like latency between chiplets to compare to AMDs solution, but I can't see them exactly setting the world alight performance wise...

Yes Golden Cove is a bit quicker than Zen3, when given a whole bunch of power, and that might've lead to some 'ok' results when going up against Zen3 but still I'd expect a 64-core Zen3 EPYC @ 280W to compete reasonably against Sapphire Rapids @350W, but they're gonna be up against 96-core Zen4 EPYC...

Gonna be interesting to see reviews especially if they look at things like latency between chiplets to compare to AMDs solution, but I can't see them exactly setting the world alight performance wise...

Yes Golden Cove is a bit quicker than Zen3, when given a whole bunch of power, and that might've lead to some 'ok' results when going up against Zen3 but still I'd expect a 64-core Zen3 EPYC @ 280W to compete reasonably against Sapphire Rapids @350W, but they're gonna be up against 96-core Zen4 EPYC...

128 Core Zen 4.

GJYBRXm.jpg

A desktop CPU with 32GB HBM would be sweet, add two dimms slots on the MB for optional DDR5.

64GB, i can't see a use case for it but then i don't know much about it, its much higher bandwidth than DDR but with much higher latency.
I mean ask yourself why we don't use GDDR as System Memory, its so much faster, right?

PS: its all cache, even your SSD is technically cache, calling it cache like its L3 or something is misleading, its not that.

Last edited:
64GB, i can't see a use case for it but then i don't know much about it, its much higher bandwidth than DDR but with much higher latency.
I mean ask yourself why we don't use GDDR as System Memory, its so much faster, right?

PS: its all cache, even your SSD is technically cache, calling it cache like its L3 or something is misleading, its not that.
It more like L4 cache as its on package between the L3 and RAM. HBM has a lot of cool function built in. It is wide (2096 bit+) bus low frequency vs GDDR (narrow 256 bit+ bus high frequency). High frequency = more power. Also, think HBM has lower latency than GDDR. A lot of workloads are more bandwidth limited than latency limited, more so with high core counts.

Last edited:

xUJVGt9.png

WCCFTech said:

Intel's 4nm process is in risk manufacturing today, Meteor Lake launching in 2023?​

Intel has revealed another roadmap compiling information that already existed in the public domain and confirmed that its upcoming 4nm process is manufacturing ready. It is worth noting that the processes where the company mentions the nodes are "manufacturing ready" correspond to the timeline they expect the process to be in risk production. This means that Intel 4 is in risk production, today. Extrapolating forward, this could mean that [caution: educated speculation] Meteor Lake is not delayed as some reports had indicated and will be launching sometime in 2023, instead of 2024 - just as the company had originally planned [/ educated speculation].

Assuming Intel is telling the truth then they are catching up to TSMC quite fast now and will have 4nm CPUs in 6 to 12 months and 2nm CPUs in 18 to 24 months

Last edited:
Assuming Intel is telling the truth then they are catching up to TSMC quite fast now and will have 4nm CPUs in 6 to 12 months and 2nm CPUs in 18 to 24 months

Spells bad news for AMD - they're only competitive with Intel when they've had at least one process node advantage so far.

You do realise that Intel kept saying 10nm was ahead of schedule, or on track for production, until they delayed it, then delayed it again. They have to be seen to saying they are doing great for the sake of the the share price and investors. It is super easy to say things are going well, and then say things have slowed down, and delays need to be taken into account, they wouldn't come out and say in advance things aren't going to plan as that is commercial suicide.

Pat has already said Intel will not be competitive until 2025 on record, I doubt they'd commit to that public comment if it was going to be much sooner.

Spells bad news for AMD - they're only competitive with Intel when they've had at least one process node advantage so far.

Wouldn’t this be great news for AMD if true? Which it probably not true.

It’s potentially bad news for Radeon and Nvidia, but great news for AMD.

riSje8e.jpg

It seem 14th gen Meteor Lake will not support DDR4 so LGA1700 will be the last socket supported DDR4.

riSje8e.jpg

It seem 14th gen Meteor Lake will not support DDR4 so LGA1700 will be the last socket supported DDR4.

I still think keeping DDR4 support on LGA1700/z690/z790/z890 was a masterstroke by Intel. Lowers the motherboard cost, lowers the RAM cost, means the platform cost is considerably lower than a DDR5 system.

Also mind boggling that Z690 will end up lasting for so long, 12th gen, 13th gen and 13th gen refresh. Though still unconvinced 13th gen refresh will be any kind of upgrade over 13900KS, just can't see how.

You do realise that Intel kept saying 10nm was ahead of schedule, or on track for production, until they delayed it, then delayed it again. They have to be seen to saying they are doing great for the sake of the the share price and investors. It is super easy to say things are going well, and then say things have slowed down, and delays need to be taken into account, they wouldn't come out and say in advance things aren't going to plan as that is commercial suicide.

Pat has already said Intel will not be competitive until 2025 on record, I doubt they'd commit to that public comment if it was going to be much sooner.
That time when they milked 14nm for about 4-5 generations?

That time when they milked 14nm for about 4-5 generations?

That time Intel was stuck on 14nm for nearly 8 years and and saying it would be moving to 10nm for 5 years? I remember that time because it’s still with us… and Intel is still currently stuck with 14nm until the end of 2022 and possibly into early 2023 before stock is cleared.

That time Intel was stuck on 14nm for nearly 8 years and and saying it would be moving to 10nm for 5 years? I remember that time because it’s still with us… and Intel is still currently stuck with 14nm until the end of 2022 and possibly into early 2023 before stock is cleared.
Yikes...

Flagship Meteor Lake 22-core CPU apparently cancelled as Intel could market MTL-S towards prospective Core i5/i7 gamers​

Looks like Ryzen 7000 X3D could be the reigning gaming performance king for a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom