• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

I took the first review (the most popular) and at 1080p you can clearly see the 7950x 3d is not the fastest in all games. Depending on the games you choose yes AMD win overall, but not in everything, and not in the 1% lows which as AMD fans know fine well is a big deal, or it was.

To simplify it, the 7950x 3d is not the fastest in enough of the games I’ve seen tested to be the outright winner. And certainly not by as large a gap as people in here try to make out.

Power efficiency under load yes 100%. But not at idle :D
I never said it was fastest in all games though I was pretty clear on that. It's the fastest overall in a wide range of titles was what I said which you disagreed with. Anyway let's move it as I think we're aligned now, or at least partially. :D

As always say look at the games you generally play and from studios games you play come from as normally it is dependant on the game engine which one does better and pick either one to suit. However if you flitter about with dozens of different games the data shows on average AMD 7950x3D is the better chip with about a 7% aggregrate performance increase over the 13900k taking all data into account.

It also happens to get that performance whilst being more power efficient which is an added bonus. The only problem at min with all this is that Price to Performance Intel is much better even with the 13900k compared to AMD offerings and you took the £583 13900k and the £699 of the 7950x3D figures. AMD needs to drop £100 off the CPU list prices to get to a similar price to performance so wait 6 months realistically.

If you compare the MSRP and such then it actually comparietively has done well but that is acedemic so not really something that should be used beyond the basic principles of how are CPU costs flucuating at release prices.
You remind me of that guy that breaks up bar fights and diffuses the situation. Very well said ;)

Those numbers are with unlimited power.

Efficiency is measured at iso power. Period. Everything else is just silly. Else you HAVE to admit that the 13900t is much more efficient than the 7950x. Because out of the box, it is, a LOT more efficient. So if you want to be honest and pretend you only care about out of the box efficiency, the rank goes 13900t > 13700t >12900t> 13900 > 13700> 7950x3d > 12900 > 7950x.

As you can see, almost a complete Intel domination in out of the box efficiency.

Those numbers are stock, which is not unlimited power. I'll not reply further as you seem to be trolling - it's clear from multiple reviews than Zen4 is much more power efficient that Raptor Lake. In productivity and especially in games.

AMD also holds the gaming performance crown with the 7950X3D, for those interested in games.

Those numbers are stock, which is not unlimited power. I'll not reply further as you seem to be trolling - it's clear from multiple reviews than Zen4 is much more power efficient that Raptor Lake. In productivity and especially in games.

AMD also holds the gaming performance crown with the 7950X3D, for those interested in games.
What do you mean stock? The CPU draws almost 300w at which point I assume it's throttling.

Regardless, as I pointed out multiple times, it you are interested in stock efficiency, Intel has the crown with multiple skus beating AMD's best. 13900t / 12900t / 13700t/ 13900/ 13700 / 12900 are all beating the 7950x and the 3d in efficiency by a ton. That's just a fact.

You either compare at iso power, or you have to admit intel is more efficient. Choose your poison

What do you mean stock? The CPU draws almost 300w at which point I assume it's throttling.

Regardless, as I pointed out multiple times, it you are interested in stock efficiency, Intel has the crown with multiple skus beating AMD's best. 13900t / 12900t / 13700t/ 13900/ 13700 / 12900 are all beating the 7950x and the 3d in efficiency by a ton. That's just a fact.

You either compare at iso power, or you have to admit intel is more efficient. Choose your poison

And I thought you was honestly going to knock it off…

In simple terms looking at the very best from both , it can go back and forth in games depending on what you play but 7950x3d edges it overall add in power efficiency

Same with multi thread depending what you doing and AMD uses less power

Doesn't mean you should be moving from 13th to AMD , new system build I would opt for AMD platform that also has zen5/3d coming maybe more ?

Last edited:

Zz8Xrpd.jpg

Further news, this time Arrow Lake being referred to as 15th gen. Seeming more and more likely that 14th gen will be skipped on desktop, though time will tell.

Intel’s 2024 Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs to feature up to 24 cores and support DDR5-6400 memory​

Benchlife said:
There may have been some changes in Intel’s product planning for desktop computers. The previously rumored Meteor Lake-S, which was expected to launch in the first half of 2024, may be renamed Arrow Lake-S and paired with the Intel 800 series chipset. Both Meteor Lake-S and Arrow Lake-S use the Intel LGA 1851 socket. According to the source, Arrow Lake-S will maintain a maximum 8P+16E core configuration, while the 6P+16E configuration for MTL-S will be canceled.

— Benchlife

Intel sticking with 8P & 16E, and also potentially cancelling Meteor Lake. Perhaps they simulated Arrow Lake vs Zen4 X3D and gathered it was a pointless releasing it?

Yeah that's what I've been suspecting; Intel is skipping meteor lake for desktop and going straight to arrow lake because 1) the architecture design is complete and 2) Intel's new 4 and 2A process nodes are ready for production ahead of schedule. It brings with it 40% higher IPC than alder lake and new E cores; AMD will need major improvements to compete - like shipping all CPUs with 3D v cache as well as clock speed and IPC improvements or just adding more cores if it doesn't want to get dominated in gaming and production workloads

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I've been suspecting; Intel is skipping meteor lake for desktop and going straight to arrow lake because 1) the architecture design is complete and 2) Intel's new 4 and 2A process nodes are ready for production ahead of schedule. It brings with it 40% higher IPC than alder lake; AMD will need major improvements to compete - like shipping all CPUs with 3D v cache
We'll see, that big an increase would be enough reason to upgrade from even any recent chip.
New board needed but with that much performance uplift who cares I guess.

This is Raptorlake. the cluster i highlighted in red on the right are the 16 E cores, if you measure that you will see it takes up the same amount of space as nearly 6 P cores.

The die size is 260mm, its the biggest mainstream die Intel have ever made, this P and E core nonsense isn't winning it for them, to put that in to perspective the Logic die of a 7900XTX is 300mm, the 8 core Zen 4 CCD's measure 70mm each. the Zen 4 cores are little bigger than Intel's E cores.

If Intel was to keep pushing trying to beat AMD at their own game and make it 32 E cores they would end up with a behemoth of a die and force AMD to escalate to 24 cores on Zen 5.

Intel cannot win this fight, it would be idiotic for them to try.

Mc2EQWN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom