• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Associate
These Intel threads are always hilarious. Saying AMD have lower IPC just proves the lack of understanding
I gernerally go with what ever is best at the time of upgrading but these Intel friends have added to my dislike of Intel. Sounds dumb i know but the comments by some just are crazy

Soldato
OP
Hang on, we're back to asserting things now. How is that logical? Why lectures about logic?

There's no IPC improvement is there, beyond Alder Lake? If we are being honest.

Adding more cores a good CPU doth not make, but neither is it a bad thing.

We agree on Meteor Lake it seems, but you just love to talk about Intel's 10nm CPUs, which is unexciting old tech.

Intel admits their 10nm process is a technological dead end. Their 7nm EUV is targeted for roughly twice the transistor density.

New architecture = IPC gains. Raptor Lake is a new architecture, as is Meteor Lake. Both will bring increased IPC.

Associate
I gernerally go with what ever is best at the time of upgrading but these Intel friends have added to my dislike of Intel. Sounds dumb i know but the comments by some just are crazy

Absolutely, and ultimately the difference is negligible unless you’re chasing benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
These Intel threads are always hilarious. Saying AMD have lower IPC just proves the lack of understanding :cry:

? Fastest AMD CPU for the overall performance (all workloads, as per reviews) is the 5950X. The 12900k (and now KS) has higher IPC (on it's P cores) as well as increased frequency. Do you not understand this?

Think I'm being trolled, so I'll not debate this further with you.

Soldato
@Dave2150 - I'd like that to be true, but then why are they going to use Golden Cove cores still with Alder Lake-X / workstation CPUs / server processors, if the 'new and improved' 13th gen cores are faster and better?

Another important thing, is that Intel hasn't even confirmed that 'Raptor Cove' cores even exist, until they do, it's pure speculation. The name itself just sounds wrong, it doesn't fit in with the previous 3.

Huh? Where is this mythical 'Raptor Cove' beast:

f4UEKF6.png

Not on their CPU Core roadmap, which apparently covers upto 2023.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Dave2150 - I'd like that to be true, but then why are they using Golden Cove cores still with Alder Lake-X / workstation CPUs / server processors, if the 'new and improved' 13th gen cores are faster and better?

Another important thing, is that Intel hasn't even confirmed the new 'Raptor Cove' cores, until they do, it's pure speculation.

Huh? Where is this mythical 'Raptor Cove' beast:

f4UEKF6.png

Not on their roadmap, that apparently covers upto 2023.

I pretty sure Raptor lake uses the same P core as Alder Lake, that being Golden Cove they are just clocked slightly higher and have access to more cache in Raptor lake. A new P core is only coming for 14th gen Meteor Lake

Associate
RPL will be refresh on the same node, and ADL already have efficiency problem so further performance, cores increase will make it worse. Intel used very conservative words in RPL presentation, so expect 5% IPC increase at best, and clock increase so power consumption will be extreme. Double of e-cores will also affect power consumption, and as i said, they are using same node. AMD will have huge node advantage, and also no gloflo node for memory controller. Zen 4 secondary 6nm node is similar to Intel main 10/7 node, while primary 5nm node is much better. Don't forget that AMD will further refine 3dcache so RPL will be in trouble.

Soldato
AMD delivered a good uplift with the same 7nm process from zen 2 > 3 so whose to say Intel won't, ADL supprised a lot of people as the gap to AMD looked insurmountable after rocket lake released yet 6 months later Intel were back in front.

Associate
? Fastest AMD CPU for the overall performance (all workloads, as per reviews) is the 5950X. The 12900k (and now KS) has higher IPC (on it's P cores) as well as increased frequency. Do you not understand this?

That’s not how IPC is measured, but you’re known for spreading baseless statements so that’s not a surprise.

You need like for like core count and matched frequency to assess IPC, not random benchmarks for very different CPUs. Even with things equal, I’d bet Intel still have worse efficiency for the same IPC.

Soldato
@Joxeon - Sorry, the uplift has been had already with Golden Cove. For the 13th gen, I think Intel will try to keep up with Zen 4 in games by ramping up the cache amounts.

The thing to remember here, is that AMD has managed to narrow the gap with Intel CPUs now, with every Zen generation.

This is a good thing for PC builders, Intel has had to scramble to try to get their 7nm EUV process ready for desktop CPUs!

Zen 3 and Golden Cove cores are pretty close to each other, no need to debate how close.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I pretty sure Raptor lake uses the same P core as Alder Lake, that being Golden Cove they are just clocked slightly higher and have access to more cache in Raptor lake. A new P core is only coming for 14th gen Meteor Lake

We'll see. Been a few leaks showing new architecture, new cache, and 300Mhz bump. Hopefully we'll get some leaks from retail samples soon!

Associate
I wouldn't be a happy Intel buyer if they release 14th gen shortly after 12th and 13th.

Very close launch dates, why not just delay the launch in the original ground plans and then pull them closer if needs be?

I get that they want to compete with AMD but I don't think 13th gen will struggle to do so.

I also know that these chips are years in the making so it's hard to turn a very large ship but I'm not saying turn, just slow down a little.

Soldato
I wouldn't be a happy Intel buyer if they release 14th gen shortly after 12th and 13th.

Very close launch dates, why not just delay the launch in the original ground plans and then pull them closer if needs be?

I get that they want to compete with AMD but I don't think 13th gen will struggle to do so.

I also know that these chips are years in the making so it's hard to turn a very large ship but I'm not saying turn, just slow down a little.

Maybe they know more than we do about AMD plans and what they need to be competing against or worried about competing against them based on the previous performance.

Soldato
OP

I think it's on purpose. 12th, 13th gen - support DDR4 & DDR5. 14th gen - DDR5 only.

Intel wants to cater to those who can't afford to upgrade RAM and the same time as motherboard, CPU, so perhaps we'll see 13th and 14th gen on sale the same time, for a lengthy period?

This is also one of the big mistakes with AM5/Zen4 IMO - with DDR5 so expensive compared to DDR4, they've already cut themselves out of a significant market share here.

Soldato
I think it's on purpose. 12th, 13th gen - support DDR4 & DDR5. 14th gen - DDR5 only.

Intel wants to cater to those who can't afford to upgrade RAM and the same time as motherboard, CPU, so perhaps we'll see 13th and 14th gen on sale the same time, for a lengthy period?

This is also one of the big mistakes with AM5/Zen4 IMO - with DDR5 so expensive compared to DDR4, they've already cut themselves out of a significant market share here.

or with AMD supporting AM4 so well it wont harm them as much as you think ??

Associate

Dave you do not debate with anyone that disagrees with you. You literally just come along make random baseless posts and run for cover.Over teh weeks and months you have proven to have zero understanding of IPC, efficency or even understand what a new architecture is. You would argue black is white if Intel told you to. Zero credibility and teh only troll around here

Associate
or with AMD supporting AM4 so well it wont harm them as much as you think ??
And with AM5 supporting at least 3 next gen cpu-s they will be fine with ddr5 only, not to mention it will be easier for AMD to build controller and support better speeds. Hybrid designs always have compromises so i don't like it. With Intel you get support for 2 gen at best, and then you have to buy whole new platform which cost more than single pair of RAM that will drive you for 3-4 gen CPU-s.

Last edited:
Soldato
And with AM5 supporting at least 3 next gen cpu-s they will be fine with ddr5 only, not to mention it will be easier for AMD to build controller and support better speeds. Hybrid designs always have compromises so i don't like it. With Intel you get support for 2 gen at best, and then you have to buy whole new platform which cost more than single pair of RAM that will drive you for 3-4 gen CPU-s.

yeah same here thats why leaning towards AMD , As long the performance is there of course

Dave bought Rocket Lake which was clear to see wasnt worth it I told him going AM4 would have been better and had options for more cores that was even before 5800X3D was announced but as Dave said when you are emotionally attached logic goes out of the window

Back
Top Bottom