• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Associate
Screenshot-20220527-101658.jpg

Soldato
OP

Intel 14th Gen Core desktop “Meteor Lake” allegedly requires new LGA-2551 socket​

Videocardz said:
It would appear that the rumors stating Intel will keep 3 generations on the same socket are untrue. In the fourth quarter of 2023 when Intel is expected to launch a new desktop series codenamed Meteor Lake, an entirely new socket might be required.

The LGA 2551 wouldn’t be much bigger than the LGA1700 socket though. According to MLID, it’s 38 × 46 mm, which means 0.5 mm wider and 1 mm taller socket. However, the 2551 indicates it will have 50% more pins.

Soldato

Intel 14th Gen Core desktop “Meteor Lake” allegedly requires new LGA-2551 socket​

Thats progress, I guess if AMD wasnt competitive they would have stayed on 1 :confused::cry:

Associate
AMD will have huge advantage with their socket support, even first generation of AM5 are much better than AM4 were in their time, and with experience and feedback from AM4 i have no doubt that first generation mtoherboards will have no problems supporting Zen 6.

Caporegime
If Zen 5 ends up a 24 core, which it probably will, Intel will tag on 4X as many half cores as they have full cores, which is ridiculous, its like gluing eight i5 6600 together and then gluing that to eight of thier actually 2020's level performance cores, they would be doing that so they don't get left behind in the MT benchmarks.

Last edited:
Associate
The funny thing is, its not even efficient for laptops, both Apple and AMD's now older generation CPU's are more efficient in laptops.

Yea, they're terrible for anything that puts the system under load (if you're working on battery). It's an inefficient architecture, which is why I love the weird IPC claims.

Soldato
OP
If Zen 5 ends up a 24 core, which it probably will, Intel will tag on 4X as many half cores as they have full cores, which is ridiculous, its like gluing eight i5 6600 together and then gluing that to eight of thier actually 2020's level performance cores, they would be doing that so they don't get left behind in the MT benchmarks.

Performance and reliability are what matter overall. Intel win at both. Once 13th gen launches with more cache, higher frequency and 8 more cores, the gap will be even bigger. Zen4's 15% improved ST won't be enough to come close to 13th gen, judging from leaks.

Looking forward to official reviews.

Soldato
Performance and reliability are what matter overall. Intel win at both. Once 13th gen launches with more cache, higher frequency and 8 more cores, the gap will be even bigger. Zen4's 15% improved ST won't be enough to come close to 13th gen, judging from leaks.

but you dont know what the reliability is on AM5 ? pretty sure heard some issues with Alder lake and games when released saying that havent had any issues on AM4 you forgot to mention the multi workloads that they showed it seemed to blitz that, leaning towards AMD due to its past socket support, get top end board and be set for awhile ? looking at the board features they seem set for long term in the interview he seemed to have dig at Intel having 1-2 cpu support before needing to change board thats why the AMD board seem over engineered to give lasting socket support

Last edited:
Caporegime
but you dont know what the reliability is on AM5 ? pretty sure heard some issues with Alder lake and games when released saying that havent had any issues on AM4 you forgot to mention the multi workloads that they showed it seemed to blitz that, leaning towards AMD due to its past socket support, get top end board and be set for awhile ? looking at the board features they seem set for long term in the interview he seemed to have dig at Intel and having 1-2 cpu support before needing to change board thats why the AMD board seem over engineered to give lasting socket support

He doesn't know anything. He does this every year. Posts with extreme confidence, is always wrong, shifts the goalposts around to fit whatever suits his agenda (shilling Intel). It's boring.

Associate

Another prediction from you, and we all know how good you are at prediction (Rocket Lake 20% faster than Zen 3 LOL).

We knew this was likely. That is just click bait from that garbage site.

By the time I change from z690 it I need a whole new setup anyway.

Given how good AM5 looks and the fact it pushes intel to compete I am already looking forward to it.

Associate

Is Zen 4 not going to have more cache and higher frequencies. Was it not reported that Zen 4 will have a =40% pefor4mance gain in MT apps, i dont see 8 little cores eating to much into that. Also i think the >15% performance for ST apps was based on a cinebench score and not a selection of use case scenarios.

I have also seen reports that say Intel are running behind schedule with Raptor Lake and that it may not launch till December or even January. Also AM5 will be around for a fair few generations, its already been confirmed Raptor Lake will be the last for thsi current Intel Socket. Meteor Lake for desktop is also rumoured to be late FYI

Back
Top Bottom