15k family (a bit of poke) car

Love my 440i GC. Its very fast, practical, decent on fuel and reliable. Plus sounds amazing with mppsk. You should get one!

Last edited:
A Superb with the same engine is a winner.
Are these decently reliable?

OP seems as though you like Golfs? The R in estate version would give you lots of carrying capacity and still be fun, you'd just about get a nice example for 15K.

OP seems as though you like Golfs? The R in estate version would give you lots of carrying capacity and still be fun, you'd just about get a nice example for 15K.
I did want a golf r when buying my gti.

Yes the estate version is on my list. But when you compare it to the likes of a superb/5series/e-class and dare I say 4series for comfort it's probably towards the bottom.

The plus side is the 300bhp..

Again it depends what you actually want. If you want a big family car that will make touring the country / around Europe effortless while still having a good bit of grunt then (despite the fact they're actually pretty reasonable r.e comfort etc) no they aren't what you really want.

However, if you want a car you can throw around a little, do lol traffic light gp's in any weather, pack a good amount of stuff in the boot and are fine compromising on passenger space (rear particularly) and a little bit of comfort then why not ....albeit practically none of your initial choices make much sense in this case.

Last edited:
Depending on how you are with a slightly older car, you could pick up something like a Toureg V6 TDI which is what we had as a workhorse farm vehicle - that we ended up driving all around Europe in and it never let us down in the 60k we put on it (on top of the 55k it already had at purchase). Decent ‘poke’ too. Something like this:

Golf R estate is the obvious choice here coming from the GTI. But at £15k, you aren't looking at a mk7.5 unless its a higher mile example. But the mk7 is basically the same car underneath, just missing the newer tech and nicer looks.

The Superb Estate 4x4 ~280 BHP would be a great shout. Won't be as fun for sure, as it is a massive motor. But it'll do everything else as good or better than the Golf.

I have been looking for a mk7.5 R Estate, and have come across these Superbs, and they have piqued my interest for sure. But as I already have a VW Caravelle for my "big" car, I can't help but think I should probably prioritise fun more in my "daily" car. So I guess it comes down to what you prioritise. As a one car fits all, the Superb would make an excellent choice I'm sure.

I also had a F11 530d, and it was an excellent all in one sort of car. Does everything well. Not exactly "fun" though. Too big for that, IMO. Not terrible, but the Superb will likely suffer similarly.

Well yeah Kenai does speak the truth. Its more like 18k to get a decent one so would be blowing out the budget. Other than that, no downsides as far as I'm concerned. The b58 is an awesome engine and ive averaged 30.7mpg over 10500miles (tracked at the pump with fuelly, 34 fill ups) with a high of 38mpg for a tank and a low of 24mpg.

If youre ever near Farnborough or West byfleet id be happy to take you out in it

Last edited:
You'll probably get an absolute dog of one at your budget
Definitely

Few years ago, would have got you a good one it think. Buying used is crazy money now.

Just bought a van for 10k was looking for one for around 6k, couldn't find anything that wasn't ready for the scrap yard

Back
Top Bottom