15k family (a bit of poke) car

@geekman would be proud

Last edited:
This is certainly one of the strangest shortlists I've ever seen on here.

Who honestly considers a 1.5 litre 140bhp Skoda Octavia against a 300bhp 3 litre BMW?

I think you probably need to think about what it is you actually want first.

Even comparing the 520d against the 440i - one is an excellent car with a fantastic interior but a dull yet efficient engine, and the other is a dated car with a rubbish interior that feels like it was taken from a 1 Series but with a fantastic engine. You either want one or the other, rather than consider both. Because if you were considering both you'd be looking at either a better engine in the 5 Series or a worse engine in the 4 Series.
The 440i GC doesn't have a rubbish interior.
That is your opinion.
Which I think is utter tosh.

In comparison to a 5 Series, it does. It's got a dashboard that's very similar to that found in the previous 1 Series. Which is fine, in a small hatchback, but not when compared to a 5 Series, which is what was being done in this thread.

Obviously it is - that's the point :D
You were not comparing.

You know exactly how you phrased it.

Not bad in Lexus. Loud and weird in small city cars but Lexus has had them for so long they’re actually fine. My mates gs450h I couldn’t even hear it or feel it. Just drove fine.

The cube we had with cvt took some getting used to but even then you sorta learn how the box behaves and it’s fine. Not had an issues either.

Better off avoiding CVT even a better implementation of it IMO if there are other options. You get used to the rubber-banded power delivery but driving other stuff is still nicer and personally I've not found a CVT implementation I can't hear the whine, even if only under situations like going uphill on some. Albeit you can drown it out with music, etc.

It is quite nice, if you ignore the whine, when in its element but even the better implementations there is a higher potential for expensive failure, etc.

It is a bit of a weird one as well where in small underpowered cars it tends to have a lot of negatives that mostly go away with more powerful cars but then they put more strain on it which it doesn't like (albeit plenty of people who've also put 100s of thousands of miles on them without problem) :s

Update!

Test drove this today but also reserved this.

Diesel - closer to home, sunroof, lower mileage. No service history from 2020 which is worrying.

Petrol - 2 year skoda warranty, 2 services

I'm going to to travel up to see the petrol kodiaq by train and if the cars sound I'll take it.

Update!

Diesel - closer to home, sunroof, lower mileage. No service history from 2020 which is worrying.

I'm going to to travel up to see the petrol kodiaq by train and if the cars sound I'll take it.
Cool.

But USB android auto or Apple car play is blegh

Update!

Wow, 17.5k for a 6 year old Skoda Kodiaq with 72k miles on the clock! :eek:

How about this - link plenty of poke, plenty of room, a great family carrier that'll be considerably better to drive than a dreary VAG SUV. They're also not too bad on fuel.

Last edited:
As others have said, you're better off with the diesel in a Kodiaq, the economy on the petrols is not great and they feel sluggish.
I'll find out tomorrow. The poke factor has truly been binned anyway!

Wow, 17.5k for a 6 year old Skoda Kodiaq with 72k miles on the clock! :eek:

How about this - link plenty of poke, plenty of room, a great family carrier that'll be considerably better to drive than a dreary VAG SUV. They're also not too bad on fuel.
Yes it's quite bad. Unfortunately, we are wanting the 7seats.

Wow over £18k for an equally old and probably more unreliable Jaguar :confused:

Similar pricing and age to the kodiaq, less miles on the clock and way more smiles. If I had to buy a diesel Skoda I'd be buying a Superb or Octavia, at least they offer better value for money than the Kodiaq and better to drive too.

Similar pricing and age to the kodiaq, less miles on the clock and way more smiles. If I had to buy a diesel Skoda I'd be buying a Superb or Octavia, at least they offer better value for money than the Kodiaq and better to drive too.
Not 7 seats though, which he has just explained is a factor here.

If 7 seats are needed.
Get a Grand Cmax lol

I suppose if we are putting in ridiculous suggestions...

I have a VW Caravelle for my 7 seat needs. £18k wont get you far (probably older and higher miles than you would want), and it wont have the poke you are looking for. On the flip side, they are almost depreciation proof, and poke / fun seems to have been abandoned as a requirement.

Yep. 2014 with 120k on it for budget: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...&model=Caravelle&price-to=18000&sort=year-dsc

Or 2012 plate with more reasonable miles is also doable in budget.

But that's the sort of motor you could keep for 4 years / 40k, and lose very little money with. In value at least. Not gonna be the best on fuel. And probably take something to keep on the road. But yeah, rather that than a Cmax.

Literally after my post was the OP after a 7 seater. He was banding around 440i's and even talk of golf R's earlier in the thread!
He was. But he had also previously mentioned that 7 seats would be a bonus. See here:
We are going to see a kodiaq today with the kids - there's only 3 x 2.0 petrols in my budget in the country! One, Two, Three. I'd go diesel if I have to.

We have two small children (5,3) that would fit in the back. 7 seats has always been a 'wish I had' when inviting friends and family out on trips.

I also found: X5 , Q7, Discovery, Discovery sport, Taracco.

Superb 280 sounds like the one to get for 5 seats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom