15k family (a bit of poke) car

Wife saw a Land Rover Discovery - are these still unreliable?

Yes I've scrap the poke and looking for comfort for 2 kids and an adult in the back.

I'm now pushing the budget to 18k.

Yes I've scrap the poke and looking for comfort for 2 kids and an adult in the back.

If leg room is a real priority then a Skoda Superb estate has more usable room in the 2nd row than a full size Discovery (take it from someone who has a Disco5).

yes they're still expensive to run/maintain. If anything, they're worse that they used to be. Seen many with major engine failures etc. - Not sure on which engines in particular but with a car like that i'd have a few grand sitting in a pot for "expenses"

yes they're still expensive to run/maintain. If anything, they're worse that they used to be. Seen many with major engine failures etc. - Not sure on which engines in particular but with a car like that i'd have a few grand sitting in a pot for "expenses"
Thought so, thanks for sharing.

18k gives me a couple of other cars but not many!:

G31 530d
Superb 280
Kodiaq (7seat is handy)
440i (still dreaming) - might be tight at the back for an adult to sit between the kids for longer journeys.

Thought so, thanks for sharing.

18k gives me a couple of other cars but not many!:

G31 530d
Superb 280
Kodiaq (7seat is handy)
440i (still dreaming) - might be tight at the back for an adult to sit between the kids for longer journeys.
Out of that list judging by your requirements I would personally go:-

Skoda Superb (lots of rear legroom)
BMW 530d (if you don't need the rear legroom of the Superb)
Skoda Kodiaq (If you really need 7 seats then this would jump to 1st)
BMW 440 (has more power but a lot less room than all the others)

This all depends on what you can get that's currently available (cost and condition being huge factors)

Out of that list judging by your requirements I would personally go:-

Skoda Superb (lots of rear legroom)
BMW 530d (if you don't need the rear legroom of the Superb)
Skoda Kodiaq (If you really need 7 seats then this would jump to 1st)
BMW 440 (has more power but a lot less room than all the others)

This all depends on what you can get that's currently available (cost and condition being huge factors)
Thanks for this, really helpful

I mean going by comments alone.. Superb seems to be the car to go for here. If it had to be an estate I'd go for the 530d..

or if you don't like the usual "boring" german stuff.. a Legacy Estate or a Forester STI or maybe even a volvo v90/s90

I mean going by comments alone.. Superb seems to be the car to go for here. If it had to be an estate I'd go for the 530d..

or if you don't like the usual "boring" german stuff.. a Legacy Estate or a Forester STI or maybe even a volvo v90/s90
Yes that's what I'm looking at 5 seats wise.

However, Mrs is wanting 7 seats so kodiaq is in the lead.

Having had a Kodiaq and a Superb, the Superb is miles better IMO. Better built, more comfortable, plenty of leg room front and back and boot space. Get the 280 motor and its quick enough without being overly thirsty.
Do you have enough kids that 7 seats is must ?ask yourself how often they would be of use, and tbh the rear seats are only suitable for small kids and not that comfortable, plus eat into boot space a lot.
I got shot of the Kodicr*p as we called it pretty soon (had quality issues) and got a 280 Superb as a replacement.

Reactions: mjt
Having had a Kodiaq and a Superb, the Superb is miles better IMO. Better built, more comfortable, plenty of leg room front and back and boot space. Get the 280 motor and its quick enough without being overly thirsty.
Do you have enough kids that 7 seats is must ?ask yourself how often they would be of use, and tbh the rear seats are only suitable for small kids and not that comfortable, plus eat into boot space a lot.
I got shot of the Kodicr*p as we called it pretty soon (had quality issues) and got a 280 Superb as a replacement.
We are going to see a kodiaq today with the kids - there's only 3 x 2.0 petrols in my budget in the country! One, Two, Three. I'd go diesel if I have to.

We have two small children (5,3) that would fit in the back. 7 seats has always been a 'wish I had' when inviting friends and family out on trips.

I also found: X5 , Q7, Discovery, Discovery sport, Taracco.

Superb 280 sounds like the one to get for 5 seats for sure.

Last edited:
Can't help but think a Kodiaq petrol might feel a bit gutless? Only 230lb/ft of torque. My Fiesta had more!

We are going to see a kodiaq today with the kids - there's only 3 x 2.0 petrols in my budget in the country! One, Two, Three. I'd go diesel if I have to.

We have two small children (5,3) that would fit in the back. 7 seats has always been a 'wish I had' when inviting friends and family out on trips.

lexus rx450h - big car, not super pretty but built like a tank, good on fuel, interior is well built and will be very reliable. Plenty for that budget too.

or do you not like japanese cars?

or gen before

lexus rx450h - big car, not super pretty but built like a tank, good on fuel, interior is well built and will be very reliable. Plenty for that budget too.

or do you not like japanese cars?

or gen before

1 speed CVT :(

1 speed CVT :(
Not bad in Lexus. Loud and weird in small city cars but Lexus has had them for so long they’re actually fine. My mates gs450h I couldn’t even hear it or feel it. Just drove fine.

The cube we had with cvt took some getting used to but even then you sorta learn how the box behaves and it’s fine. Not had an issues either.

Wouldn't go anywhere near a Disco TBH, 3 people who I know who've had them (2 from brand new) have have so many issues, 1 wouldn't start anytime it rained and JLR Dealer couldn't get to the bottom of it so replaced it with another new one and that had issues as well

Not bad in Lexus. Loud and weird in small city cars but Lexus has had them for so long they’re actually fine. My mates gs450h I couldn’t even hear it or feel it. Just drove fine

It's nothing like as good as the conventional 8 speed gearbox found in many of the other cars he's considering though.

Can't help but think a Kodiaq petrol might feel a bit gutless? Only 230lb/ft of torque. My Fiesta had more!
I test drove a petrol Kodiaq when I got my Octavia and can confirm, it's like a slug. You can really feel the extra weight. I imagine MPG will be terrible too as you'll be flogging it everywhere. Diesel suits it much better.

Last edited:
Test drove the 2.0 190 diesel and it was perfectly fine for wafting around.

Dealer was offering warranty first premium cover for 3 years for £2k. I have heard horror stories but I called the warranty company and it seems legit that everything is covered - anyone used them before?

This covers my dsg, engine etc worries

Test drove the 2.0 190 diesel and it was perfectly fine for wafting around.

Dealer was offering warranty first premium cover for 3 years for £2k. I have heard horror stories but I called the warranty company and it seems legit that everything is covered - anyone used them before?

This covers my dsg, engine etc worries
Probs garbage. Stick the £2k in a bank

Back
Top Bottom