• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Staff
OP
It's going to be at least £999 or a slim chance of something like £989 or £979 to pretend like they aren't taking the ****.

Look at the launch of Ryzen - $499 for the 1800x equated to £499 here.

Can you explain to me how you expect it to be any better with current pound strength?

You are aware the live rate of GBP vs USD is 1.30, as such most banks give around 1.26-1.29 varies depending on bank, but lets just say 1.29.

$999 / 1.29 = £775

So yes we do get it cheaper!

But of course it seems like every forum member here forgets about the UK tax, so add 20% back and your at £930, before any shipping, margins are added on. So yeah due to the weak pound whatever a product cost in USD it typically cost the same or more in GBP.

Associate
No you have to be more vague if you hope for an answer :p

Gibbo, if you were at work today and were planning on taking a break later on to read any tech news websites, and/or do a bit of online shopping, what sort of time do you think you might decide to plan your break? :)

Associate
Can you explain to me how you expect it to be any better with current pound strength?

You are aware the live rate of GBP vs USD is 1.30, as such most banks give around 1.26-1.29 varies depending on bank, but lets just say 1.29.

$999 / 1.29 = £775

But of course it seems like every forum member here forgets about the UK tax, so add 20% back and your at £930, before any shipping, margins are added on. So yeah due to the weak pound whatever a product cost in USD it typically cost the same or more in GBP.

I think more people would go with your explanation if it wasn't the case regardless of the pounds strength. It's always about 1:1 regardless with PC components.

Caporegime
Supply will probably outstrip demand tbh, once the OMFG of 12-16 cores has died down people will realise that 99% of normal tasks show absolutely no benefit over a 1800X. In fact if clockspeed doesn't reach parity with 1800X due to power or temperature you'll probably be worse off in most situations.

Associate
I think more people would go with your explanation if it wasn't the case regardless of the pounds strength. It's always about 1:1 regardless with PC components.

.......and will be evermore. I have been building computers since 1994'ish and it has nearly always been dollar/pound parity.

This is blatantly a load of crap.

For example. The 7970 released at an RRP of $549. On release day, you couldn't buy it at less this price in the US:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5312/amd-radeon-hd-7970-now-for-sale

Meanwhile, I bought mine for £472, including delivery, from OcUK

LuS4QOM.png

GTX980 also launched at $549. I bought mine at £419, 2 weeks later

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review
K3zcMZb.png

I know, the pound is crap at the moment, but gibbo is entirely accurate in that $999 exchanged plus VAT is going to take you very close to £:$ parity right now.

The idea that this has always been the case is demonstrably false.

Last edited:
Associate
Supply will probably outstrip demand tbh, once the OMFG of 12-16 cores has died down people will realise that 99% of normal tasks show absolutely no benefit over a 1800X. In fact if clockspeed doesn't reach parity with 1800X due to power or temperature you'll probably be worse off in most situations.

I want threadripper because it has 64 PCIe lanes. If Ryzen 1800x had 32 and wasn't hobbled to 16, I would buy that instead.

Soldato
I want threadripper because it has 64 PCIe lanes. If Ryzen 1800x had 32 and wasn't hobbled to 16, I would buy that instead.
Correct me of wrong Ryzen mainstream has 24 lanes.
Intel has 16 on mainstream

$999 / 1.29 = £775

I am with you, because is not the first time the while pricing has come up. (discussions about the gtx1080 pricing comes to mind)

Do you know if motherboards are going on sale before August 10th?
It is going to be a frantic hour trying to find board while ordering the 1950X without other I formation in spot notice that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

For example. The 7970 released at an RRP of $549. On release day, you couldn't buy it at less this price in the US:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5312/amd-radeon-hd-7970-now-for-sale

Meanwhile, I bought mine for £472, including delivery, from OcUK

LuS4QOM.png

GTX980 also launched at $549. I bought mine at £419, 2 weeks later

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review
K3zcMZb.png

I know, the pound is crap at the moment, but gibbo is entirely accurate in that $999 exchanged plus VAT is going to take you very close to £:$ parity right now.

Indeed, at a 1.6 dollar to the pound rate the price would be 999*1.2/1.6 = £750 before margins and would be even lower if we had our old VAT rate of 17.5%.

Associate
Correct me of wrong Ryzen mainstream has 24 lanes.
Intel has 16 on mainstream

Ah, ok, Ryzen seems to be 20+4, i.e. 4 for link to x370, 4 for storage, and 16 for GPUs.

If I'm upgrading I want both my 1080tis to have x16, and I want at least one other x4 slot from the CPU for my quad channel USB3 controller (Oculus Rift sensors) and a x4 for storage.

I don't want to go x299 because the cheaper chips are all 28 lanes. Threadripper it is.

Associate
.......and will be evermore. I have been building computers since 1994'ish and it has nearly always been dollar/pound parity.

Strange... I've been building since before then, and have never found there to be parity until now... quite the reverse in fact. IIRC I used to routinely take 25% off $ (when US sites used $ only) to get a rough £ price... (might be my own internal memory needs upgrading tho LOL)

Soldato

As a general statement it is true. we did have a period of $1.60+ to the pound sterling and at its peak nearly $2 /£. I bought a rake of web domains in dollars around that period. However historically with few exceptions, the retail prices in the UK have been close to the US dollar price excluding state taxes.

Anyway I do agree with Gibbo's valuation argument in this instance.

I do think he should rename the 'tang T'readripper though.

Soldato

$999 / 1.29 = £775

Margins are included in SRPs, that's kinda the point. I assume UK retailers have to pay a bit more shipping for products that originate from the US compared to US retailers, but I really don't know (a lot of stuff isn't manufactured in the US or EU so maybe it should be the same either way). Typically there's enough competiton amongst UK retailers that at least one of them will sell for the actual SRP or below (when converted to GBP and VAT is added), which is good.

A 12 core Threadripper CPU would be awesome for GPU passthough. You could spoof an R7 1800X with a GPU in a Windows VM and still have 4 cores for the Linux host! Not cheap though, I expect it to be $700+. Probably better with a 6+2 configuration with an 8c/16t variant.

Caporegime

Is that for multi GPU? the trouble is that for gaming 2 GPU's at 8x8 on a 1800X at 4ghz will probably be better than 16x16 on a Threadripper at 3.8ghz. PCI-E isn't really a bottleneck these days. Like I said it depends on how Threadripper clocks though, if it reaches parity with 1800X then the choice will be much simpler.

Back
Top Bottom