19" Acer AL1916W Widescreen Silver/Black

Associate
Am i right to say pressing AUTO button doesnt adjust brighness/Contrast settings it seems to align the screen but doest affect the output and not running at native res will resize the resolution to fit.

Suspended
Camalot said:
The monitor is supurb. Theres no need to spend stupid amounts on others monitors.

pict00027rc.jpg

whats the name of this website something like digitalblastfemy.com? im trying to find backgrounds like the one on there

edit - and does this mean its HD? i dont get it.

'The 16:10 WIDE-SCREEN ASPECT RATIO PROVIDES MORE PRODUCTIVE SPACE for multiple windows, HD-format video and immersive gaming action'

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does anyone know how i take the stand off this monitor?? I have un-screwed the 2 screws but it still wont come off, i want to wall mount this on a vesa bracket thing.

thanks..

Suspended
i ordered mine yesterday from a well known auction website and its arrived this morning, rang mate and he said he's just signed for it. thats what i call speedy service :)

Associate
DannyW said:
Does anyone know how i take the stand off this monitor?? I have un-screwed the 2 screws but it still wont come off, i want to wall mount this on a vesa bracket thing.

thanks..
I had the exact same problem :rolleyes:; as already said, the plastic cover where the top of the stand meets the monitor clips off. There are then 4 (I think) screws to take out.

The bit with the dusty fingerprint :D

Suspended
do you need any drivers for this? when i first plugged it in some acer drivers showed up in the displey settings but then i set it to the optimal res and it changed to plug and play monitor :confused:

Associate
Yea same ere.. just came up as "do you want to instal plug and play monitor..." just click ok and it should appear saying its complete.

I actually had to manually change my resolution to 1440x900

Suspended
Townlea said:
Yea same ere.. just came up as "do you want to instal plug and play monitor..." just click ok and it should appear saying its complete.

I actually had to manually change my resolution to 1440x900

nah it didnt even do that on mine. just started in 1024x768 (what i had it in on old monitor) went into settings to change it to 1440 res and it said acer something or other in the box. grat i though its found it, so i changed it to 1440x900 and it went to plug n play. are well works fine anyway, unless the acer drivers give me something extra, do they?

Suspended
update - mine came yesterday and ill say what i think/small crappy review

from -cant say
price -£165 delivered
came next day

I took it out of the box and thought, are no this crappy plastic base looks poor quality, i seated the screen in it and suprisingly it works well. I have so much space left now on my desk, so i can take my clutter off my floor and put it on the desk! Im not sat 5" 's away from a 19" screen either now.

It started in the same res as what i was using before (1024x768) and auto resized itself. I then set it into 1440x900, the default res. The driver shown at first was acer AL1916W but then it changed to plug and play monitor, i checked in the catalyst control center and it showed Acer1916w so its fine.

I had a Dell P992 crt before this and thought nothing would really come close to it as it originally cost over £500. Ive had good use from it but im sure the text and general image was starting to go a bit blurry. Anyway I used the Acer screen for a while in desktop and then loaded up DOD source, I was amazed at how much more colourful it was. I then tried oblivion and started noticing details that i had not noticed before such as smoke on moons (or whatever they are) :rolleyes:

I then went back to desktop and did my usual, play music in winamp and browse the net for a while. After a couple of hours I plugged my CRT into my mates computer and was shocked to see that it looked like someone had turned the monitor into almost black and white! All the colours looked dull and grey. I can only describe this as looking at the two crysis videos, one in HD and the normal one. The normal one looked like my old monitor and the HD one looked more like the LCD screen.

Very happy with the monitor so far and im not really bothered about stretching the display. Of course I want everything to be able to run in 1400x900 but then i also want a job that pays be 60K and a ferrari F50.

conclusion

good monitor, excellent price

Associate
Baker said:
For people used to using 1280x1024 what is it like using 1440x900? Is it a noticeable loss between 1024 and 900?

Right I have been using a 15" monitor so its a big difference

I have a 19" Sammy 916n on my server...

And if I had to choose between the 2 .. I would choose the Acer.

Games are really awsome because of the widescreen affect and watching movies... normal browsing.. feels so much better on the Acer comapred to the samsung.

The height isn't that missed tbh and its not exactly half the height, its only going from 1024 to 900. Its the width that makes it the part. Altogether a good package for Gaming, normal browsing and watching movies!

Suspended
One thing i dont understand is that is used to play DOD source in 1280x1024, i now play it in 1440x900 and it had dropped from running at around 80-90fps to around 70 (in the same areas)

1280x1024 =1310720 pixels
1440x900 =1296000 pixels

I would have thought that 1440x900 would work faster? Or does it not work like that. Ill try benchmarks in that res (if i can) when i get back to leeds (and sober up) late tuesday night

Soldato
geeza said:
I would have thought that 1440x900 would work faster?

that's a good point. it was something i assumed too. i've recently got myself a 19in ws tft (not the acer :p) and calculated it uses 5% more pixels more than my old 17in crt max res of 1280x960. i only play a few older games which run fine but it would interesting to see the performance difference between

1280x1024=1310720 pixels
1280x960=1228800 pixels
1440x900=1296000 pixels

it's a shame you can't change the res in the free versions of 3dmark. :)

sid

sid

Soldato
geeza said:
update - mine came yesterday and ill say what i think/small crappy review

from -cant say
price -£165 delivered
came next day

I took it out of the box and thought, are no this crappy plastic base looks poor quality, i seated the screen in it and suprisingly it works well. I have so much space left now on my desk, so i can take my clutter off my floor and put it on the desk! Im not sat 5" 's away from a 19" screen either now.

It started in the same res as what i was using before (1024x768) and auto resized itself. I then set it into 1440x900, the default res. The driver shown at first was acer AL1916W but then it changed to plug and play monitor, i checked in the catalyst control center and it showed Acer1916w so its fine.

I had a Dell P992 crt before this and thought nothing would really come close to it as it originally cost over £500. Ive had good use from it but im sure the text and general image was starting to go a bit blurry. Anyway I used the Acer screen for a while in desktop and then loaded up DOD source, I was amazed at how much more colourful it was. I then tried oblivion and started noticing details that i had not noticed before such as smoke on moons (or whatever they are) :rolleyes:

I then went back to desktop and did my usual, play music in winamp and browse the net for a while. After a couple of hours I plugged my CRT into my mates computer and was shocked to see that it looked like someone had turned the monitor into almost black and white! All the colours looked dull and grey. I can only describe this as looking at the two crysis videos, one in HD and the normal one. The normal one looked like my old monitor and the HD one looked more like the LCD screen.

Very happy with the monitor so far and im not really bothered about stretching the display. Of course I want everything to be able to run in 1400x900 but then i also want a job that pays be 60K and a ferrari F50.

conclusion

good monitor, excellent price

thats an interesting comparision to a good quality CRT

I posted this in the other Acer thread as well

[TBH,

this screen doesnt even do enough to match my 2year old LG 1710B, The colours are just not vibrant and crisp enough. The text is not sharp enough either, I mainly only watch movies/videos on it.

Im using this in a multiscreen setup and you can easily see why this screen is so cheap. The stand is a bit short (3" too short).

If you are going from a CRT then its very good but theres definately better TFTs to be had.

I've also noticed that browsing websites is a bit of pain on this TFT cos the res is low, need to scroll around loads

sid]

So my conclusion is depending where you are coming from you will be impressed, i suppose for £180 i cant expect any better, my other TFT was £275 2 years ago, I thought TFT technology has advanced but clearly not in this range,

If someone has any good ideas with calibrating the colours on the screen let me know, like the same profiles???

sid

Back
Top Bottom