1930s Semi Refurb - Part 1 of ... (Edition: Bathroom Relocation)

Soldato
OP
Going to order the following --- RCD will go outside at top of door frame. Entire bathroom will be protected by that RCD.

y7eTuLV.png

Sockets will be hidden beneath shelf; flex outlet is for radiator.

Also, ordered this tanking kit:
TLrHjca.png

Soldato
Circuit should be RCD protected from the main box so not sure why you're putting that in. Any socket needs to be 3m from bath or shower, not possible in your room.

Soldato
OP
Circuit should be RCD protected from the main box so not sure why you're putting that in. Any socket needs to be 3m from bath or shower, not possible in your room.
I figure a way to isolate the entire bathroom quickly and easily, separate to the upstairs ring could be useful. I could just put a fused spur but figure no harm in an RCD "even closer" to the load on its own circuit.

The switch being available/easily visible is especially "important" as the sockets themselves will be hidden permanently under the shelf of the false wall. The only reason I am doing a socket is so I can have a smart plug.

Soldato
I figure a way to isolate the entire bathroom quickly and easily, separate to the upstairs ring could be useful. I could just put a fused spur but figure no harm in an RCD "even closer" to the load on its own circuit.

The switch being available/easily visible is especially "important" as the sockets themselves will be hidden permanently under the shelf of the false wall. The only reason I am doing a socket is so I can have a smart plug.
Doesn't matter why, it's against the regs.

Soldato
OP
It is, but but you said under a shelf next to the toilet.
Same same then, given the false wall envelops the bath. The "shelf" is just the cover for lower half; the second half being ceiling height and containing the niche. I can access the plugs by removing the panel or removing the shelf. Either way, I think I am in the spirit of the regs. Unless someone was demolishing the bathroom they'd never find it - so confident no wet hands are going to be touching them as anyone other than me and this forum won't know they exist; and the whole lot can be isolated from outside the room. If I was a tradie working for a Customer though, I wouldn't do this for them.

Soldato
OP
Same same then, given the false wall envelops the bath. The "shelf" is just the cover for lower half; the second half being ceiling height and containing the niche. I can access the plugs by removing the panel or removing the shelf. Either way, I think I am in the spirit of the regs. Unless someone was demolishing the bathroom they'd never find it - so confident no wet hands are going to be touching them as anyone other than me and this forum won't know they exist; and the whole lot can be isolated from outside the room. If I was a tradie working for a Customer though, I wouldn't do this for them.
To put this whole thing to bed though - I could put the ring in the attic and then run a wire. Not sure why I didn't think of that --- as I want sockets in the attic anyway.

Soldato
(
... could embed a smart switch inside spur wall box, if you trust the minis reliability & current capability

)
Thank you for linking this/informing me of these. I'm seperately going to send to a family member so they could use these for their towel rails

Soldato
(as said - he can just have a flex outlet ... that's not a socket)

e: Was going to ask the channeling work - angle grinder & hammer was just on Saturday ? otherwise neighbours must love you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
(as said - he can just have a flex outlet ... that's not a socket)

e: Was going to ask the channeling work - angle grinder & hammer was just on Saturday ? otherwise neighbours must love you.
The flex outlet will be beneath the radiator itself; that would be wired to a plug in the attic essentially.

Channelling - I use a wall chaser and an SDS channelling attachment. Probably less than 5 mins of noise. No religious crackpots made a complaint about sacred sundays yet :D

Soldato
OP
Is this the right stuff to skim the joints on the plaster? It has tapered edges joining in places so some reasonable 3-4mm voids to fill. Also, will it cope with the humidity on the ceiling?

For joint tape - I assume I use the regular mesh type stuff?

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Does this bathroom look directly out onto the street? Looks like it's almost street level. I'd defiinitely get caught out with that
Haha, nah - luckily we are one of the few houses not really overlooked at all at the front. It is second floor; and we are on a hill.

Obviously blinds will be fitted (shutters to match downstairs probably).

Back
Top Bottom