2006 Monte Carlo Grand Prix - Race 7/18

goreblast said:
Lay off Schuey - the man is a genius

That he is, sadly for pulling slidey moves like this and getting away scott free.

Im sure if Ralf had done that and slowed down those on hotlaps he would have got similar treatment, but MS has a history for moves like this. Watching the replay to me it looks like a deliberate move to get yellow flags out, but whatever the final decision is i suppose ill have to hope is right and go with it.

While I am not outright saying Michael pulled something on purpose, I'm sorry but you can not watch that replay and still say it doesn't look funny. Anyone who's watched F1 for any length of time would know a car does not behave like that.

I'm a huge Schumacher fan and have been since i was about 8. Even i admit that looked very, very suspect to me. He turned the steering wheel back when he really didn't have to.....

Doing that, especially at Monaco is downright stupid and dangerous.

If he did this on purpose, he does not deserve to race in F1.

if he did this by mistake, he does not deserve to race is F1 for incompetance.

Over Clocker said:
Doing that, especially at Monaco is downright stupid and dangerous.

If he did this on purpose, he does not deserve to race in F1.

if he did this by mistake, he does not deserve to race is F1 for incompetance.

Good summation. :)

Slightly off the big news story, whats with the yellow in MS' race suit?

60092.jpg

probably not the best pose to be posting at the moment ....

Memphis said:
While I am not outright saying Michael pulled something on purpose, I'm sorry but you can not watch that replay and still say it doesn't look funny. Anyone who's watched F1 for any length of time would know a car does not behave like that.

That was just too dumb. Oops I missed the apex, oops I locked up, oops I over compensated, oops I steered toward the wall and oops I stalled it.

What was he thinking.

Stormrider said:

New design:

formula1.com said:
Q: Michael, different overalls here, perhaps lucky overalls, first time on the pole since 2000.
MS: Yeah, well, history is really not important. You have to live in the present and the new overalls was a very nice design by Philip Morris. We had this idea in Madonna di Campiglio already and we both liked the idea and thought Monte Carlo is a special occasion where we could put some colour into it and we were happy to use it. So let’s see and hope it can be lucky tomorrow, that’s more important.

Looks rubbish IMO. Looks as if the dye has run or someone spilt bleach. I prefer the old style, classy red.

Stormrider said:

60092.jpg

probably not the best pose to be posting at the moment ....

Trying to be as revolting as possible?

Bad taste competition?

Hope it's like those temperature sensitive tshirts form the 90's - that would be bloody funny. :D

Schumacher and controversy meet again

For all his greatness and status as Formula One's most successful driver, Michael Schumacher is no stranger to controversy.

The outcry that followed Saturday's Monaco Grand Prix qualifying, when Schumacher took pole after his Ferrari stalled at the penultimate corner to deny rivals any hope of going faster, came as no real surprise.

To many, this was the Schumacher of old, stretching fair play to its limit and maybe beyond.

"Was it really a mistake?" asked McLaren's Juan Pablo Montoya. "I'm not so sure."

"I don't believe that he really had any problems," added Finnish teammate Kimi Raikkonen.

Renault team boss Flavio Briatore, whose world champion Fernando Alonso might have taken pole with a clear line round the slow Rascasse corner, was harshly critical of Schumacher and likened the German's explanation to a fairy tale.

"Given that we are not Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, I think that what he did was unsporting," he said.

The seven times world champion, summoned by stewards afterwards, denied any suggestion of unsporting behaviour and said he had simply made an error.

"Whatever you do in certain moments, your enemies believe one thing and the people who support you believe another," he said. "Some people may not believe it, but unfortunately that's the world we live in."

Schumacher's world has suffered such controversy many times before, as one would expect of an extremely committed driver who entered the sport in 1991 and has won a record 86 races.

Since he switched to Ferrari in 1996, and was for many seasons in a class of his own, the grumbling has grown.

Schumacher won his first world championship with Benetton in 1994 amid massive uproar after colliding with Briton Damon Hill in Adelaide.

"There are two things that set Michael apart from the rest of the drivers in Formula One - his sheer talent and his attitude," 1996 champion Hill wrote in a subsequent book.

"I am full of admiration for the former, but the latter leaves me cold."

In 1997, Schumacher was accused of "Wild West" behaviour after trying to ram his Ferrari to the title in a season-ending showdown with Canadian Jacques Villeneuve at the European Grand Prix in Jerez.

With a one-point lead going into the race, Schumacher knew he would take the title if Villeneuve failed to finish.

He claimed that he had not deliberately tried to shunt Villeneuve off but the governing body saw it differently, stripping him of his season's points and excluding the Ferrari driver from the final classification.

That outcry was matched at the Austrian GP in 2002 when Brazilian Rubens Barrichello led from the start but was ordered to let teammate Schumacher past on the last lap. The booing echoed around the world.

Even his brother Ralf has not been protected from Schumacher's sheer determination to win.

In the 2001 European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring, Schumacher veered across the track at the start, forcing Ralf to back off or risk being forced into the wall.

Flibster said:
No they didn't - they were funny though.

Everyone could tell if you were a hot and sweaty lump in them. :D

I was only young, in my school year, we loved them. Except when the *cough* large girl wore one. For some reason, I felt jealous that hers worked more than mine. Now, being much more knowledgable in physiology, I'm glad mine didn't ;)

Is your insider knowledge able to tell us when we might hear a verdict?

Its hard to prove either way but given his record of hardly ever making such lame mistakes whilst also having a proven record of cheating to win he should be penalised whatever. Back of the grid for Schumi I say.

Back
Top Bottom