2011 Census soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it turns up interesting data, like in the last census (2001) 1% of houses in London (yes London) didnt have their own toilet. (ie it was a communal one rather that a private one). Though its usually more common on the Census to ask how many toilets you have rather than do you have one at all (although the US census usually has the do you have a flush toilet on it)

Although the rationale for the question was probably more due to the fact in earlier decades, having your own toilet wasn't as common.

So rather than trying to throw up interesting statistics, they knew beforehand it would be interesting. Finding out now that 99.9% of the population have toilets would be just as interesting, so it will be asked again.

Well, that IS a relief.

To summarise, Lockheed Martin are the American Government's biggest defence contractor and therefore there is absolutely no way that they would ever pass on any data on citizens of a foreign state to the US Government or any commercial organisation - why, they may even refuse to make the data available to the UK Government - I am reassured ;)

Thank God there is such a competent and trustworthy American operation available, allowing the UK Government to avoid having to rely on one of the utterly incompetent and untrustworthy private UK enterprises - our Lords and Masters come to the rescue again - HALLELUJAH!

A company whose entire business is built on being trust worthy with confidential data would have course compromise that and lose their multi billion dollar defence contracts to make what a few million on the side selling data to who exactly?

But this is all academic as Lockheed will never actually see or posses any of the data...

Never heard of this stuff before. Bit daft to force ppl otherwise fine and criminal record.

I cant see how they will enforce it as theirs bound to be a large number who just wont bother like myself.

they DO inforce it , thousands of people are employed to go knock on the doors of people who havent returned it

you will get three visits to your house per week for a month , then after some that some guesses are made and if you still havent filled it in your details get passed to whoever does the investigating

so even though it will only take 20 minutes and you may a get a record and fine for not returning it you will still 'not bother' ?

Last edited:
Although the rationale for the question was probably more due to the fact in earlier decades, having your own toilet wasn't as common.

So rather than trying to throw up interesting statistics, they knew beforehand it would be interesting. Finding out now that 99.9% of the population have toilets would be just as interesting, so it will be asked again.

I'm just glad I don't have to squander my time answering these ridiculous questions to give some interesting data for some toilet historian to fap to.

and i look forward to the results tbh. the empolyment rate is going to be hilariously tragic

its bad enough already and the data at the moment doesn't take into account people who only work 16hours a week or people who dont sign on ''because only scummers sign on'' (said by someone who was out of work on here IIRC)

they DO inforce it , thousands of people are employed to go knock on the doors of people who havent returned it

you will get three visits to your house per week for a month , then after some that some guesses are made and if you still havent filled it in your details get passed to whoever does the prosecuting.

so even though it will only take 10 minutes and you may get a record for not returning it you will still 'not bother' ?
Off-hand, do you have any idea how many of the 60 million or thereabouts people in the UK were prosecuted for not returning completed census forms in 2001 or was there 100% compliance?

and i look forward to the results tbh. the empolyment rate is going to be hilariously tragic

its bad enough already and the data at the moment doesn't take into account people who only work 16hours a week or people who dont sign on ''because only scummers sign on'' (said by someone who was out of work on here IIRC)

Hardly anyone uses the claimant count (i.e. those signing on) as a true measure of unemployment. Economists don't just use a single figure.

If you want a wealth of data:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/Product.asp?vlnk=1944

Off-hand, do you have any idea how many of the 60 million or thereabouts people in the UK were prosecuted for not returning completed census forms in 2001 or was there 100% compliance?

When polite people come knocking on the door for 20 minutes of your time, whilst mentioning this is a legal obligation, I doubt many refuse.

Last edited:
what about people who have been stuck working part time to pay the bills but who would actually love a full time job of any description though ? for example my teenage brother is one of the only ones amongst mates who left college with him whos actually got a job and its 14 hours in tesco :/ , plenty of other people he works with are in the same situation , no one knows about it though. how could they ?

its no wonder more and more people go to uni every year . its the only option around here

Im surprised this goes on i mean forcing a questionnaire and if you dont you get fined? Not on, imo. Seems illegal somehow. You should never be forced to do anything if you dont want to.

what about people who have been stuck working part time to pay the bills but who would actually love a full time job of any description though ? for example my teenage brother is one of the only ones amongst mates who left college with him whos actually got a job and its 14 hours in tesco :/ , plenty of other people he works with are in the same situation , no one knows about it though. how could they ?

its no wonder more and more people go to uni every year . its the only option around here

I see what you mean. I'll check whether the Quarterly Labour Force Survey includes that.

edit:

Yes this data exists!

I can't give a direct link though.

edit2:

only until 2007 :p , let me see if I can find newer data

edit3:

It was the useless ONS website, just downloaded the entire dataset and its there.

Last edited:
Im surprised this goes on i mean forcing a questionnaire and if you dont you get fined? Not on, imo. Seems illegal somehow. You should never be forced to do anything if you dont want to.

It is completely unjust, laws must be based on harm and not abused in order to make people work for free.

Last edited:

It might seem illegal to you but unfortunately for your point of view it's not illegal and is in fact enforceable by the power of law, hence the fines. As for not being forced to do things you don't want to, that's something that probably happens every day - say you don't want to stick to the speed limits (to use a fairly trivial example) then don't but equally you shouldn't be surprised if repercussions follow.

The census is also not a new thing in any way, shape or form.

It is completely unjust, laws must be based on harm and not abused in order to make people work for free, providing information to others.

It's not completely unjust, I think you're being ever so slightly melodramatic here. You're being asked to complete a form once every ten years to help with future planning for the country, it's been going on for centuries now - it's hardly a particularly onerous task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom