2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
Been um'ing and ah'ing about a rMBP 13 for a little while now. The price drop plus doubled memory last month made it more tempting.

A certain retail group offering £100 cashback, as well as my mobile phone provider also offering me £100 off a spend so I'll get one for £800, meaning I could get the care plan for free if I feel the desire at a later date? I think I'll go get one tomorrow!

Associate
The HE store from off campus is different and prices are quite significantly higher than they should be

As above, I paid about £1699 and the same model on http://store.apple.com/uk-edu is £1839.60

You can still get those prices off campus :)

af01f8f23d4c42818691fdf68322b31e.png

Associate
Hi everyone

I bought my very first rMBP on Monday.

2.8Ghz(Boost to 4Ghz), 16GB, Iris&Nvidia, 512GB PCIE

It's just taking so long to come! Every hour I'm just checking UPS but it's too long of a wait to come to my door.

Shanghai, China 09/05/2014 8:50 P.M. Export Scan
09/05/2014 4:13 P.M. Arrival Scan
09/05/2014 3:58 P.M. Departure Scan
09/05/2014 3:49 P.M. Origin Scan
China 09/05/2014 12:29 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Just to express my use for it. I currently have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, 256GB 8GB RAM - it's an excellent device and I believe Apple could learn a couple of things from Microsoft here. The issue I have is the processor, it's too slow for what I need (programming, rendering & running multiple VMs etc.) - I need an i7 Processor!

So instead of purchasing the Surface Pro 3 I thought I'll try something new, hence the rMBP. It'll probably be sitting on my desk most the time connected to my 27" monitor but wanted the option of portability.

What I'll also be doing is using an Apple TV and connect that to my AV Receiver in order to stream my audio without the need of connecting a HDMI cable.

Anyway guys it's just waiting til the 10th (date given by UPS) which seems like such a long way away.

Soldato
Now that the keynote is over and nothing MBP related was announced (to be expected), I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new MBP.

Am wondering whether I ought to spring for the 1TB upgrade over 512GB, but I'm only using 100GB at the moment (I'm thinking it's probably better to get it now rather than have to try and deal with upgrading it later?)

Also, anyone think Broadwell is likely to be Q2 rather than Q1 2015?

edit: Couldn't stop myself :( Fully loaded 15" MBP ordered. :/

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the 2.2GHz, 2.5GHz and 2.8GHz in the 15" rMBP? Is one best value for money etc...?

Thanks

Soldato
Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the 2.2GHz, 2.5GHz and 2.8GHz in the 15" rMBP? Is one best value for money etc...?

Thanks

Wouldn't bother with the 2.8 ghz cpu. You'll never realistically reach the max turbo speeds it'll always throttle down. I even replaced the thermal paste. It didn't really help much.

Plus the lower end cpu have better battery life up to an hour or so.

Last edited:
Associate
Wouldn't bother with the 2.8 ghz cpu. You'll never realistically reach the max turbo speeds it'll always throttle down. I even replaced the thermal paste. It didn't really help much.

Plus the lower end cpu have better battery life up to an hour or so.

Hey,

Thank for your response, by lower end do you mean the 2.2 or 2.5 or are both about the same battery life? T

Thanks

Soldato
Btw the 1tb ssd's are faster than the 512GB options.

1tb are around 900MB/s and the 512gb are around 700MB/s read/write.

Not sure how much of a difference it really makes but it's nice to know before you make a purchase.

Associate
I really cant decide between getting a rMBP with or without the dedicated GPU. My concern is the battery life when the GPU kicks in not plugged in.

I know there is gfxCardStatus but it may not work with future releases?

I wont need to use the GPU a lot, but it practically comes free with the 2.5GHz and 512SSD model and I would prefer to have it in case I do need it, but not at the cost of loosing 1 or 2 hours of batter every charge.

Does anyone know if gfxCardStatus will be supported in Yosemite or there are similar programs that do the same thing?

Please help me make a decision

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i've been to the apple store 5 times in 4 days after I got my new rMBP and i'm on my second one now, first the screen had to be replaced due to a load of dead pixels, then when I got it back as soon as I turned it on the fan's went crazy and it was laggy as hell and that turned out to be sensor/logic board failure so they swapped it out for a new one, now it finally looks like this one works so I can actually start to use it. Not the best of starts but at least it was handled quickly :)

Strangely enough apple care is going to be my next purchase!

Last edited:
Soldato
I really cant decide between getting a rMBP with or without the dedicated GPU. My concern is the battery life when the GPU kicks in not plugged in.

I know there is gfxCardStatus but it may not work with future releases?

I wont need to use the GPU a lot, but it practically comes free with the 2.5GHz and 512SSD model and I would prefer to have it in case I do need it, but not at the cost of loosing 1 or 2 hours of batter every charge.

Does anyone know if gfxCardStatus will be supported in Yosemite or there are similar programs that do the same thing?

Please help me make a decision

A few people who are running yosemite beta on other forums seem to be running gfxcardstatus fine. I'm sure it will be ok.

You should also know if you run bootcamp you will only be able to use the nvidia gpu if you get the discrete version. Same with running external monitors. You won't be able to run external monitors if you disable the nvidia gpu.

In hindsight it was kind of pointless for me getting the nvidia version. I disable it most of the time anyway and I have a gaming PC so I rarely use it. I only got it because it didn't really cost any extra.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom