2024 OLED bonanza take your pick from dozens of new monitors

I think the 27" 1440p Alienware is going to be the one for me. Reviews are looking good, I can control the light in the room quite nicely and as it's purely going to be a gaming monitor I don't have to worry too much about any text clarity.

I'll stick to 1440p as well rather than 4k - mainly because I already find 27" to be big for a monitor, 32" would take me back to being 18 again and playing games on a TV.

lol claims to show HDR content in the video, yet the video is encoded in SDR. Amateur mistakes. Take for example at 6 mins in, he starts comparisons sdr vs hdr content and says how much better hdr looks, yet in the video the hdr screens looks bad with severe black crushing... if only the video was recorded and encoded in HDR, now people the are gonna see this video and think HDR monitors suck

Last edited:
32" QDOLED flat would be my preference, but I'd have to re-jig my monitor stand. It can hold 6 x 27" monitors but I only use 3 of the brackets for holding displays and I might have to use the newer monitor on it's stand which would suck.
Desktop logistics - first world problems I know. :D

Just seen that MSI has released the US prices for the OLED line-up:

At $950 looks a steal, especially compared to the UK pricing seen at another retailer accepting pre orders.

Will be keeping my eye out as my current 27" LG OLED has just had to be sent for repair...

Last edited:
Just seen that MSI has released the US prices for the OLED line-up:

At $950 looks a steal, especially compared to the UK pricing seen at another retailer accepting pre orders.

Will be keeping my eye out as my current 27" LG OLED has just had to be sent for repair...
Could probably import it and it'd still be cheaper than buying locally, what's the release date?

The thing that puts me off all the other brands bar Dell is the warranty. As far as I'm aware Dell are the only company who are covering burn in under warranty.

I did see one video that claimed HP had burn-in cover in their warranty, but nobody else seems to think that's the case unfortunately. I'll try to find the video again.

I did see one video that claimed HP had burn-in cover in their warranty, but nobody else seems to think that's the case unfortunately. I'll try to find the video again.
Unless its stated by the manufacturer then its probably not true. Lots of places reported that LG changed their warranty to include 2 year burn cover but I couldnt find any about it from LG and I saw a video review where the reviewer called LG to confirm and the CS rep said they didn't so unless I see in writing from the manufacturer I'm going to assume they don't offer the cover

The thing that puts me off all the other brands bar Dell is the warranty. As far as I'm aware Dell are the only company who are covering burn in under warranty.

Check if they have a warranty for stuck or dead pixels. Everyone OLED I've owned has ended up with stuck or dead pixels, so if they warranty that you can use it

How well does 250 nits hold up in the real world? Seems disappointingly low...

Depends entirely on the room. I use my monitors in a relatively dark room, so 250nits is blinding. The thing is that, in a dark room, the blacks are more important than the whites. An absolute black monitor is much better than an almost black monitor. I have an alienware AW3423DW QLED sat next to an AW3821DW IPS and the biggest visible difference is the black levels. The black on the IPS is miserable compared to the QLED.

When I'm working from home, I have the curtains in the room closed because my OLED is a curved monitor and any light from the windows reflecting on it creates glare on the sides due to the curve. For light I have two bulbs in the ceiling, each is rated for 900nits. I have my monitor set to 100nits brightness and also I have the windows blue light filter turned on and set to 30%. Anything over 120nits or less than 30% blue light filter is too bright for me

Back
Top Bottom