21:9 monitors has anyone got one

Soldato
You definitely have a point about some games and movies not supporting the resolution. I wouldn't say it's a majority of games that don't support it, though. I suppose most of the games I play or consider are quite modern and support is much more widespread on such titles compared to older ones. Support is only going to increase in the future as 'ultra widescreen' ranges for both monitors and TVs increases. But if you play older titles in particular or like watching box sets (or movies that were originally shown on TV rather than the big screen) then 21:9 may not be ideal for you.

And I completely agree about the black bars on the side (or top and bottom) breaking immersion. They aren't exactly 'black' on this sort of monitor, thank you IPS glow.

Last edited:
Soldato
fixed my issue :)
3440x1440 21:9 60hz vsync locked ohh yeah baby ;) , movies looks sweet, massive desktop space, text looks sharp...... pictures looks fantastically crisp :)

Associate
how exactly did you manage to do that? nvidia control panel says that the resolution isn't supported on my display when i try to create a custom resolution of 3440x1440.

this is on a dell u2913wm

Soldato
creating the resolution with CRU :)

Interesting! I've got the Dell 29 too. By CRU I'm guessing you mean 'Custom Resolution Utility'?
I've downloaded it, created a new 3440 x 1440 entry, rebooted and 3440 x 1440 is there to select in the NV control panel, but when I do I just get a message saying 3440 x 1440 is not supported for about 10 seconds then it reverts to 2560 x 1080.

ViRuS2K - Any chance you could provide a step by step guide on how you got this to work?

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting! I've got the Dell 29 too. By CRU I'm guessing you mean 'Custom Resolution Utility'?
I've downloaded it, created a new 3440 x 1440 entry, rebooted and 3440 x 1440 is there to select in the NV control panel, but when I do I just get a message saying 3440 x 1440 is not supported for about 10 seconds then it reverts to 2560 x 1080.

ViRuS2K - Any chance you could provide a step by step guide on how you got this to work?

Hi mate, you have a completely different setup to what i use.
i have the AOC 29" LG pannel.
i think your dell is using the same pannel though :)

but im using ATI/AMD 7900 series cards and your using NVIDIA card.
the process might be slightly different on those cards

when your back on the desktop
right click and go to screen resolutions then select your monitor then select advanced settings then monitor tab and make sure {hide modes that this monitor can not display} make sure its unticked.

if that does not work you might need the NVIDIA PIXEL CLOCK PATCHER : as you might be running into a pixel clock limitation but i cant see that being the case as you would be using the same as me mini display to display cable if you are using HDMI from your pc or DVI then your defiantly pixel limited so this might help : http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Associate
yeah i created the custom res with CRU, patched my drivers, created the resolution and rebooted and my monitor went straight to black screen with "no signal".

nothing worked, until i completely reinstalled the nvidia drivers. i think the dell can't handle the res. :(

edit: i have it connected through the dell dual link dvi cable. wonder if it could work via DP

Soldato
yeah i created the custom res with CRU, patched my drivers, created the resolution and rebooted and my monitor went straight to black screen with "no signal".

nothing worked, until i completely reinstalled the nvidia drivers. i think the dell can't handle the res. :(

edit: i have it connected through the dell dual link dvi cable. wonder if it could work via DP

give it a try that way you would not need to patch the drivers either :)

Soldato
Actually, can't believe it only just occurred to me, but a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 display might be the way to go for me.

Been playing about with custom resolution on my 2 27 inch screens - 1920x824 on 1080p monitor and 2560x1080 on 1440p monitor.

Is really nice aspect ratio for gaming. 3 screens felt a bit too much for certain things, but these ultra wides are a good in between.

Reason for thinking 30 inch 2560x1440? Well, run at 2560x1080, is pretty much same viewable area as the 29 inch screens. And then you get benefits of larger desktop space.

And most importantly can all be run quite well off of one gpu.

Pity 30 inch monitors are so darn pricey though...

Associate
so, i did manage to create a 3440x1440 res on the dell u2913wm through downsampling and GPU scaling on nvidia GTX680.

however, the text is barely legible on desktop, i'm not gonna keep it....but it's nice to see how much estate i'm gonna have with the 34" :)

Caporegime
Actually, can't believe it only just occurred to me, but a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 display might be the way to go for me.

Been playing about with custom resolution on my 2 27 inch screens - 1920x824 on 1080p monitor and 2560x1080 on 1440p monitor.

Is really nice aspect ratio for gaming. 3 screens felt a bit too much for certain things, but these ultra wides are a good in between.

Reason for thinking 30 inch 2560x1440? Well, run at 2560x1080, is pretty much same viewable area as the 29 inch screens. And then you get benefits of larger desktop space.

And most importantly can all be run quite well off of one gpu.

Pity 30 inch monitors are so darn pricey though...

To be fair the 30's are fantastic if you get a good one. Lurrrrrve my ZR30w :cool:

Just try to pick up a nice secondhand one up for around £500 if possible. I'm only switching to something like the 34" LG if they're around the £700 mark, otherwise it's a waiting game til they drop :)

Soldato
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and bought the AOC 29" ultrawide. When I unboxed it, I immediately thought, "don't like that, it's too narrow". Plugged in and booted up and fiddled about without much enthusiasm as I was really hating on the narrow desktop.

Then I fired up a game :D

Fast forward to today and I love it. Granted I wouldn't be so happy if I had to use it a lot for desktop work, but I only use the PC it's plugged into for gaming, and that's where this screen really is amazing. I can't comment on films etc as I've yet to watch any on it.

Soldato
so, i did manage to create a 3440x1440 res on the dell u2913wm through downsampling and GPU scaling on nvidia GTX680.

however, the text is barely legible on desktop, i'm not gonna keep it....but it's nice to see how much estate i'm gonna have with the 34" :)

You have to modify the backporch and blanking :) to get the perfect crystal clear text :)
then also modify cleartype ;)

Soldato
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and bought the AOC 29" ultrawide. When I unboxed it, I immediately thought, "don't like that, it's too narrow". Plugged in and booted up and fiddled about without much enthusiasm as I was really hating on the narrow desktop.

Then I fired up a game :D

Fast forward to today and I love it. Granted I wouldn't be so happy if I had to use it a lot for desktop work, but I only use the PC it's plugged into for gaming, and that's where this screen really is amazing. I can't comment on films etc as I've yet to watch any on it.

movies are fantastic on it total immersion due to the ultra wide aspect ratio ;)
even better quality when you force it @3440x1440 @60hz :) and you also get a lot of real estate space to work with :D

every bluray movie i have watched has been awesome with full picture no black borders and for those bluray movies that have black borders you just use VLC media player and set the correct aspect ratios to fix those in combination with anydvdhd :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting read about the 3440x1440 res, will try that tonight :)

Edit: Am playing STALKER with AA2 mod atm on it, took me a while to notice whenever I looked down sights on a gun the view was oval rather than round - can't have everything I 'spose :D

Last edited:
Soldato
been testing a few games and thought i would post some images for those peeps with 29" 21.9 aspect ;) it is a joy to play this game at this res..... look at the pole on the ship not a jaggy in sight even though there is NO AA enabled :)
----------------------------------------

http://imageshack.com/a/img208/13/9z1n.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img12/1742/iv5y.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img11/1782/ptbt.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img138/9296/r0yz.jpg

Alan Wake been testing out 3440x1440 resolution on my new 29 AOC
these are actual ingame and no AA used what so ever.... also there jpg so they do loose some quality as there direct snaps from steams internal F12 lol

Permabanned
No AA pretty impressive it doesnt look that jaggy even on the trees. BF4 looks more jaggy on mine with 4xMSAA. This is why i want high pixel pitch im sick of jaggies even with 4xMSAA on BF4.

Hopefully get cash and 21:9 3440x1440 soon :)

Back
Top Bottom