21:9 monitors has anyone got one

Soldato
If you have an NVidia card then there is a built in pixel clock limit. Theres a patch around called pixel clock patcher which raises that limit and might be what you need. I use it to get high refresh rates on my 1440p monitor.

**Edit**

Was skimming and missed you say you had an AMD card. AMD also have a 330mhz pixel clock limit built into the drivers but it looks like theres a patch for that as well. http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Really interested to see how far you can push the refresh!

227mhz seems to be the limit for me and i have no idea why....
as i am running displayport cable it should not have limits.

Soldato
I've tried running the pixel clock patch for nvidia. Tried both the "nvlddmkm-patcher.exe" and the "nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe" files that come in the download.

Using either patch, on reboot my Dell 29 is just black screened and then goes into power save. My second Dell 24 screen is still on, but I can't get at what I need to uninstall as the pop ups are on the blank dell 29, so I have to reboot into safe mode and do a system restore!

What am I doing wrong here???

make sure your graphics cards have 2 crossfire bridges attached ;)

Soldato
make sure your graphics cards have 2 crossfire bridges attached ;)

Come on guys help me out. This trick *might* stop me buying the amazing looking 34 inch screens that are coming out soon :D

To re-cap, I'm using the gear in my sig, basically for this it's Nvidia GTX 670 x 2 in SLI, the Dell 29 super wide, and an old dell 24 inch. Both are connected to the top 670 card using the DVI cables they came with.

Soldato
Come on guys help me out. This trick *might* stop me buying the amazing looking 34 inch screens that are coming out soon :D

To re-cap, I'm using the gear in my sig, basically for this it's Nvidia GTX 670 x 2 in SLI, the Dell 29 super wide, and an old dell 24 inch. Both are connected to the top 670 card using the DVI cables they came with.

my bad thats a amd/ forward slash / lol graphics card requirement.
if your black screening after patching the driver then it could be a cable/driver version/ issue
are you using a dual DVI out on your graphics card with dual dvi input on your monitor....
make sure its dual and check your graphics cards dvi out and make sure its dual dvi and not single dvi.

Last edited:
Soldato
would you mind screenshotting your manual timings please? i can't seem to be able to get it right. thanks.

this is not set in stone, and your mileage may vary...
its down to your eyes to and how far you sit from your monitor.
also you need to experiment with cleartype aswell as windows dpi settings to get good text readout, and remember text will always look slightly blurry but if you tweak it, it can look awesome. trust me on this. There are other things you can do aswell.... if you have for instance a 2nd monitor say 24" 1920x1200 or higher you could use that monitor as your reading base :) for websurfing ect and youtube ect, and use the 29" for say gaming and movies :D also did you by any chance install the AOC driver for the monitor ? :D

-------------------------------------------------

games look amazingly good aswell at 3440x1440 :)

--------------------------------------------------

4zqw.png

--------------------------------------------------

ingame shot been trying out DISHONORED no aa :) even though it plays perfectly fine with aa :D

6g1d.jpg

steam downscaled the picture then uploaded and probably downscaled again on imageshack lol but you get the idea :D amazing views....

Soldato
Still can't get this to work properly. Seriously ****ing me off now.

EDIT - managed to get the basics working(!!) just using nvidia control panel settings and creating a custom resolution of 3440 x 1440, but I have to set the refresh rate to 56 or under for it to work.

At least I can get an idea of the principle now though, and see what that size desktop feels like. However, like skuko said - text and everything looks absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys I have a LG 29 inch wide screen monitor, but my sapphire R9 290 Tri-x isn't detecting the res, how do I change it to 2560 by 1080? Please help whoevers got a 29 inch mon, I'm using the HDMI cable, thanks

Soldato
Still can't get this to work properly. Seriously ****ing me off now.

EDIT - managed to get the basics working(!!) just using nvidia control panel settings and creating a custom resolution of 3440 x 1440, but I have to set the refresh rate to 56 or under for it to work.

At least I can get an idea of the principle now though, and see what that size desktop feels like. However, like skuko said - text and everything looks absolutely terrible.

Must be a dell thing then.
also other factors are involved, your using DVI i am using displayport 1.2
those cables alone have other functions to give better quality :

Forward link channel with 1 to 4 lanes; effective data rate 1.296, 2.16, or 4.32 Gbit/s per lane (total 5.184, 8.64, or 17.28 Gbit/s for a 4-lane link)†.
8b/10b encoding provides DC-balancing and Embedded Clock within serial channel (10 bit symbols, 20% coding overhead)
RGB (unspecified) and YCbCr (ITU-R BT.601-5 and BT.709-4) color spaces, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 chroma subsampling
sRGB, Adobe RGB 1998, DCI-P3, RGB XR, scRGB, xvYCC, Y-only, Simple Color Profile (version 1.2)[15]
color depth of 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 bits per color component
Optional 8-channel audio with sampling rates up to 24 bit 192 kHz, encapsulation of audio compression formats
Bidirectional half-duplex AUX channel, 1 Mbit/s (v1.0) or optional 720 Mbit/s (v1.2)
stereoscopic 3D formats: frame sequential (v1.1a), field sequential, side-by-side, top-bottom, line interleaved, pixel interleaved and dual interface (v1.2)[15]
Optional dual-mode facility generates TMDS and clock for single-link DVI/HDMI signaling with a simple line-level conversion dongle.
Up to 63 video and audio streams with time-division transport multiplexing and hot-plug bandwidth allocation (from version 1.2)
128-bit AES DisplayPort Content Protection (DPCP), and 40-bit High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) from version 1.1 onwards.
Internal and external connections so that one standard can be used by computer makers reducing costs.[32]

also dell are using a different firmware on the panel compared to the firmware on the AOC
there`s could be configured differently to the configuration on mine....

-------------------------------------------------------------

as i said everyones millage varies...... im enjoying it though and the space :D

Soldato
Yes a decent phone camera like that should be fine. Just try to keep it as still as possible and use a low ISO (100 perhaps) without flash.

Still curious about this. Whether it's skipping frames at 100Hz, because you can usually only comfortably push (without timing adjustments) to around 75Hz or so before frame skipping occurs.

Soldato
Still curious about this. Whether it's skipping frames at 100Hz, because you can usually only comfortably push (without timing adjustments) to around 75Hz or so before frame skipping occurs.

just waiting on my brother bringing the camera around if he remembers this time lol...
been on some advanced monitor websites and ... effectively i dont think this monitor is going to get 120hz @ native.

i can get it to around 112hz with some timing reductions the reason why is because i think the monitor i have is dp 1.1a max. compatibility.... can someone check that for me .....

AOC Q2963PM 29" 2560x1080p 60hz LG Panel

as i have a dp 1.2 cable and dp 1.2 graphics card but the monitor will only show as being in 1.1a compatible mode.
it has another mode called dp 1.2 (daisy chain) mode but that mode refuses to work with a higher pixel clock

i can only max the pixel clock to around 327mhz and after that it refuses to set the resolution.....

hence in the end i think 100hz is pretty good i will post information on it later on or when the camera comes around.

to my eyes i cant see frame skipping and when playing games i cant see it even playing movies i cant see it and everything is smooth... so even in the end if there was what would be the point if the human eye cant detect it unless its got a really long slow shutter speed.
and being 100hz its a multiple of 23.976 so 24hz bluray playback will be judder free to.

still give your input as to why i am hitting this pixel limit i say pixel limit cause i cant get over that pixel clock due to 1.1a displayport compatibility but like i said input is welcome...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My korean monitor was out of stock so ive bought the AOC monitor instead, i take it dual link dvi has the bandwidth to overclock it a bit?

Soldato
Must be a dell thing then.
also other factors are involved, your using DVI i am using displayport 1.2
those cables alone have other functions to give better quality :

also dell are using a different firmware on the panel compared to the firmware on the AOC
there`s could be configured differently to the configuration on mine....

-------------------------------------------------------------

as i said everyones millage varies...... im enjoying it though and the space :D

True enough I guess. I've tried experimenting with ClearType settings and text size DPI in Windows (tried 125% then custom ones of 110%, 113% and 115%) but text and everything just looks awful compared to native resolution.
I think I'm giving up on this experiment for now.

Soldato
OP
It just turned up, how do i disable the input not supported, im sure i saw it posted somewhere here.

Last edited:
Soldato
I cant believe how much difference it makes over 16:9, i am missing 120hz but i have managed to get it to 75hz without the stupid input not supported message.

75hz is the max you will get without the input not support poping up ;)
make add another resolution 72hz :) for perfect judder free bluray playback ;)

Back
Top Bottom