21:9 monitors has anyone got one

Soldato
Forgot about this until late last night, then spent an hour fiddling about into the early hours trying to get 3440x1440 to work. It was only when I crawled under my desk to check the cable that I realised I was plugged in via HDMI /sighs

Will hunt about for a dp cable tonight :D

Soldato
OK been doing some more testing guys with my 29" AOC LG panel. and some good news ;)
this LG panel is pretty sweet that goes for DELL aswell as there using the same panel.

im trying to tune in 120hz refreshrate @ Native. im getting close ;)
100hz is easy on this panel to tune in...... @ native...

-
uj65.png

haha and who thought that 60hz was the max :D forget 60 or 72 or 85 how about 100+

Soldato
ah this is annoying :/ someone might be able to help with this :D
i seem to be running into a pixel clock limit though its very strange cause im using a mini display port to display port cable from my 7 series cards to the monitor.
im not sure but i read somewhere that displayport should be easily cappable of 400+mhz pixel clock speeds......

i am hitting a limit of about 330mhz max as you can see in the previous picture it takes about 302mhz to hit 100hz synced and it also takes 327mhz to hit 108hz synced
i would need around 380+pixel mhz to hit 120hz locked.

i could always try and patch my ati drivers but why am i hitting a limit ..... any info from someone ????

Soldato
Are you getting any frame skipping at 100Hz? Take a picture of that frame skipping test using a camera as per the instructions.

I dont have a camera mate :(
though i do have a samsung galaxy s4 and it has shutter on it but not sure its good enough even though the camera is sweet on it would that work ?

Soldato
I dont have a camera mate :(
though i do have a samsung galaxy s4 and it has shutter on it but not sure its good enough even though the camera is sweet on it would that work ?

Yes a decent phone camera like that should be fine. Just try to keep it as still as possible and use a low ISO (100 perhaps) without flash.

Soldato
so, i did manage to create a 3440x1440 res on the dell u2913wm through downsampling and GPU scaling on nvidia GTX680.

however, the text is barely legible on desktop, i'm not gonna keep it....but it's nice to see how much estate i'm gonna have with the 34" :)

How!!!!? :)

I've got the same dell super wide 29 and 2x GTX 670s in SLI, and I'm also running a Dell 24 inch as a second screen.

Both my screens are plugged into my top GTX670 using DVI cables. I'm using the DVI cable that came with the Dell 29.

As mentioned earlier it didn't work for me, then I tried the 'patch' file mentioned on the CRU site but on reboot my Dell 29 was black screen with the power button winking. This scared me a bit so I did a system restore to get it all back ;)

Any chance you could give me a detailed breakdown of how you did it?

Associate
How!!!!? :)

I've got the same dell super wide 29 and 2x GTX 670s in SLI, and I'm also running a Dell 24 inch as a second screen.

Both my screens are plugged into my top GTX670 using DVI cables. I'm using the DVI cable that came with the Dell 29.

As mentioned earlier it didn't work for me, then I tried the 'patch' file mentioned on the CRU site but on reboot my Dell 29 was black screen with the power button winking. This scared me a bit so I did a system restore to get it all back ;)

Any chance you could give me a detailed breakdown of how you did it?

this method
http://screenarchery.wikia.com/wiki...to_achieve_3840x2160_resolution_–_NVIDIA_only

play around with it

Associate
Yes a decent phone camera like that should be fine. Just try to keep it as still as possible and use a low ISO (100 perhaps) without flash.

yeah this exactly.....your sammy camera will have a shutter speed option, or exposure option.

i checked my frameskipping with my htc one camera. my dell u2913wm skips frames at native res when refresh is anything higher than 75Hz...i have pushed the refresh rate beyond 80Hz, but it's of no use....

Associate
Cheers fella! Will have a proper read of that at some point.

Although, given what you said about the text being unreadable, do you think it's really worth it?

not to me.....tried guild wars 2 with it and planetside 2, both look nice, but the chat in both games is unreadable and so is text in desktop mode. so it's a no-no for me. it was nice to how much estate i will have once i upgrade to the 34" though :)

Soldato
if you cant read the text mate it could be your eyes need a checking out lol :D
text is fine on AOC 29"..
you have to tweak the front porch and blanking + cleartype to get text good ;)

Associate
I accidentally stumbled upon a 21:9 29" LG model today (LG 29EA93) while shopping and looking around at the mall in my area (as well as the Samsung s27a850).

I used to own a 20" Samsung screen and now own a Asus PA246Q 24" and what I must warn you about is 21:9 format at 29" that FML THAT IS SMAAAAALLLL. EXTREMELY SMALLL I could not believe my eyes this looked more like a 19" screen omg!!!! This impression is possibly accentuated by the fact this screen is nearly borderless which makes it look REALLY sleek! I am warning you however, its SMALL you will have to sit close to it (ie as close as I sit to my 15" laptop - less than half meter).

The colors and presentation of that screen is really good but I could easily see how it suffers from low pixel density compared to better screens.

Personally, I would suggest you not to buy such a screen, it would have to be AT LEAST 35" under this format in order to be worth it compared to my 24" 16:10 (which admittedly is very bulky therefore I am used to it occupying space on a desk), because let's not forget it has an important price tag.

Associate
if you cant read the text mate it could be your eyes need a checking out lol :D
text is fine on AOC 29"..
you have to tweak the front porch and blanking + cleartype to get text good ;)

would you mind screenshotting your manual timings please? i can't seem to be able to get it right. thanks.

Soldato
would you mind screenshotting your manual timings please? i can't seem to be able to get it right. thanks.

Skuko - as you have the same dell as me and an nvidia card, before I read through all that gubbins you linked to earlier, could you tell me what sort of cable you're using to connect your monitor and graphics card?

I'm using the DVI cable that came with the dell 29. I have a feeling what sort of cable is used might be the key?

Soldato
Skuko - as you have the same dell as me and an nvidia card, before I read through all that gubbins you linked to earlier, could you tell me what sort of cable you're using to connect your monitor and graphics card?

I'm using the DVI cable that came with the dell 29. I have a feeling what sort of cable is used might be the key?

Accell UltraAV Version 1.2 Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable - White
http://www.accellcables.com/B143B.html
Statistics : 4K ready :)

thats the cable i am using ;)

Associate
If you have an NVidia card then there is a built in pixel clock limit. Theres a patch around called pixel clock patcher which raises that limit and might be what you need. I use it to get high refresh rates on my 1440p monitor.

**Edit**

Was skimming and missed you say you had an AMD card. AMD also have a 330mhz pixel clock limit built into the drivers but it looks like theres a patch for that as well. http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Really interested to see how far you can push the refresh!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've tried running the pixel clock patch for nvidia. Tried both the "nvlddmkm-patcher.exe" and the "nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe" files that come in the download.

Using either patch, on reboot my Dell 29 is just black screened and then goes into power save. My second Dell 24 screen is still on, but I can't get at what I need to uninstall as the pop ups are on the blank dell 29, so I have to reboot into safe mode and do a system restore!

What am I doing wrong here???

Back
Top Bottom