***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
If you are talking about the 34" model, it is 100HZ.

£690?!

Blimey, mustn't be selling well if originally being sold for £900+ when first released a few months ago.

usually prices go down the more who buy and manufactoring plants can ramp up production. The only exception to this seems to be in the GPU market.

Soldato
If you are talking about the 34" model, it is 100HZ.

£690?!

Blimey, mustn't be selling well if originally being sold for £900+ when first released a few months ago.

Oh yeah it is 100hz. I got mixed up.

Its around 790 in places now. :( I think £600 is probably the price I'll be most comfortable paying eventually.

The £690 price has disappeared since last night though :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Oh yeah it is 100hz. I got mixed up.

Its around 790 in places now. :( I think £600 is probably the price I'll be most comfortable paying eventually.

The £690 price has disappeared since last night though :(

Yeah £600 would be my max that I would be willing to pay for a standard LCD based screen. Given Gibbo's reasons for the first version of the freesync acer x34 for dropping to £600 (and at times, it could even be had for £560) from the £800 price tag i.e. wasn't selling well, I'm sure it won't be too long until this Samsung screen is in the same boat (probably more so given the amount of people returning it due to flickering etc. problems)

Just wish the Samsung didn't use as aggressive of a curve!

Still that is a substantial drop in such a short space of time considering it was going for £900/1000 only a few months ago.
Samsung C34F79 is £860 on oc

You can buy the monitor on other sites you know :p :D

I find OCUK are generally the most expensive for everything outside of GPUs. They do some good deals every now and then though...

usually prices go down the more who buy and manufactoring plants can ramp up production. The only exception to this seems to be in the GPU market.

Never noticed that myself. All the popular stuff generally stays highly priced if selling well because there is no need for the manufacturers and etailers to drop the price, if something isn't selling well then they have no choice but to drop the price in order to shift the stock. Gibbo had to do this with the first acer freesync x34 screen.

Soldato
*snipped*
Never noticed that myself. All the popular stuff generally stays highly priced if selling well because there is no need for the manufacturers and etailers to drop the price, if something isn't selling well then they have no choice but to drop the price in order to shift the stock. Gibbo had to do this with the first acer freesync x34 screen.

Then let me correct my statement :) The only exception to this rule is Acer, Asus and the GPU Market. Look at LG, You can get 1440p 60hz ultrawide for around 500 pounds, it used to be 1000 and it even comes with freesync now. But i guess the way you say it is also true, usually the same specific model number stays pricey.

Soldato
Why not, what do you have to lose? If it's not a good panel just send it back for a refund. If it's a great panel, well you have something that's not gonna be easy to replace.
Yeah the only thing holding back is the butterflies that don't want to hand over nigh on £1k. The Asus looks good, but for £300 more, it's just not worth it. Plus it's tacky :D I turned 30 last month so I really should just treat myself...

EDIT: just heard about the X34P. FFS...

Soldato
Why not wait for the new AOC to be available and see what price that comes in at? G-sync, 34" Ultrawide and supposed to come in at £799.

Yeah that was the plan, but people aren't so keen on the panel type from what I've read and for £100 more there's the IPS Acer.

Is the x34a going to be at £899 for much longer?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well you see more of what's going on, so battles feel grander.

are the 21:9 monitors 'more engrossing' for all games or just FPS? i mainly play games from a top down perspective

Some genres benefit more than others, such as FPS or racing, but pretty much all of them get some benefit. Extra UI space in MMOs, better peripheral vision in RPGs, able to see more of the battlefield in RTS.

Above all though, the super wide makes you just more 'into' the game. It's difficult to describe it. It's the sort of thing you just need to experience.

Soldato
OK so I have been using a DP Lead that I got from OcUK for my X34A..and the Monitor didnt seem to " settle" at all ( it was blinking on and off at random times , and flickering on screen here and there ) couldnt workout what the issue was , so I decided to use the DP Lead that came with the Monitor , and so far so good :)...but the lead is not so long ( I think its about 1m ) .

Associate
well it's mostly MMORPG's i play (ESO as my current game) The UI i've got set to minimal enough - and was originally planning on a 21:9. Shifted onto wanting a regular widescreen but then realised (today actually) the aspect ratio will just be back to current so i won't see any more if i go 4k... :(

Caporegime
OP
21.9 improves all games. My fav. for 21.9 gaming are definitely 3rd person (i.e. division) and FPS (i.e. doom) games though.

Once again, the OP contains everything you need to know about 21.9 including comparisons to 16.9 :p ;)

On a slightly separate note, watched moana blu ray the other day and damn.... it looked stunning on 21.9 IPS! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom